Belen

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Belen

Hi,
A "Belen" is a nativity scene.
After seeing a photo of a Belen in ACD's Trip to Barcelona thread, I thought it would be nice if people could kindly post a photo here of a Belen in their area of Spain, or anywhere in the world.
or ?
As there are 4 more days 'til "Reyes", any amateur photographers out there might like to try this?
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Regards,
Carol

P.S. Signing off now, because I've been here far too long! And, I can't for the life of me manage my attachments!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belen

Here are photo;s of ones in Valencia city.

Rosemary
Attached Thumbnails Belen-valencia041.jpg   Belen-valencia042.jpg   Belen-valencia050.jpg   Belen-valencia049.jpg  
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:30 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

I love these! We have a gorgeous one abut 20 minutes up the road from us in Yaiza. It's built in the shape of Lanzarote... and has miniatures of the towns and villages all over it. This picture (hope it works) was taken last year - as we haven't been yet this year. They normally leave it up until February - so we're popping up to see it shortly. Do you all manage to find the little lad who's going to the toilet? I don't know if it's a Canarian thing, or all over Spain - but it denotes fertilising the land (ahem).

Elle xx
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosemary! The Christmas lights at night add to the scene, don't they?
Thanks Ellle! I opened the link, but couldn't spot the little boy. I like the way the dark earth and mountains of Lanzarote are portrayed.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:27 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Carol & John. No the little lad isn't in the photo, I don't think. But he is to be found in all Lanzarote Belens. Happy hunting!

Elle xx
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

A lovely idea for a thread Carol

Gorgeous photos Rosemary

I'm not religious, but I still like to see things that are important to other people and their beliefs.

I agree with Carol; the Christmas lights really add to the scene and the atmosphere.
Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:56 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Does anybody have one in there homes ?

Typical Spanish ones include a shepard either weeing or pooing.

I managed to get one of Santa sat on an outside toilet.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few photos from our village's "living" Belen and Los Reyes from last year (our first Christmas)

The Belen was built right outside our house, under the arches that surround the plaza.
Initially we didn't know what was going on - we just saw people arriving with straw and branches, so we watched the process throughtout the afternoon.
There was Christmas music being played on loudspeakers, and all the village children were gathered in the plaza all afternoon. We could just feel their excitement at the impending arrival of "Los Reyes" later that evening; it was a really magical atmosphere.

The photo of the Belen isn't really very clear; but basically the characters are played by village teens..............with the Mayoress' very cute little son as a sheep!
The other photos are from the night of Los Reyes, when the Kings walk through the village throwing sweets to everyone. Then they sit on "thrones" on a stage, and each child is called up individually by name to greet the Kings and to receive their presents.
What I particularly liked, was that there was no whingeing and moaning by any of the waiting children! No "when's it my turn!?" or anything - just a great deal of patient excitement, and a lot of camaraderie between them all. They enjoyed looking at each others' gifts, and it was a really lovely atmosphere.

The "sheep" boy is particularly funny, because here he is talking to the first "King"..............who happened to be his own Dad - and bless him, he didn't recognise him!!
The little girl at the end is a friend of ours - and I love this photo of her and her Dad. In fact, we've just had it framed to give to them!
Attached Thumbnails Belen-los-reyes-07-003.jpg   Belen-los-reyes-07-023a.jpg   Belen-los-reyes-07-043.jpg   Belen-los-reyes-07-065a.jpg   Belen-los-reyes-07-011.jpg  

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sam,
Don't need to be "religious" to appreciate a nativity scene. I guess it depends on the artist and the individual.
Try googling "Chalkworks" (website of the sculptor Tim Chalk) and have a look at Edinburgh's nativity scene. It claims to be as relevant today as it was 2000years ago.
There's an anonymous painting of a Glasgow "nativity scene" on the web (can't seem to use the link option, but you could google the keywords) depicting key characters in a "modern day stable" (bus shelter). PC? Now there's a debate.
Likewise, some countries lampoon political figures in a nativity scene.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Sam for posting the photo's they are lovely. I really enjoyed Tres Reyes last year, the kings arrived in three horse and carts with a load of children following them. They then went into the town hall and up onto the balconies and started to throw sweets, bags of crisps, balls and other toys out to the children who had all arrived armed with carrier bags.

As you say the children are all good humoured and love the occasion. I particularly noticed that many of the children were sharing out what they had successfully caught. One lad of about 8 or 9 looked thrilled with the fact that he had caught one of the footballs but a little later I saw him give it to a younger boy of about 4 or 5.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lee8

I have a couple of belen in my house. My OH made the figures for the larger one of the two in the UK several years ago but the stable disintegrated. So we bought a new stable for them last year and a camel and new star this year. I am seriously thinking about gradually building up a village style one by buying individual pieces each year since seeing a beautiful one laid out in a shop window (including the shepherd in the loo with the door open).

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lee8

Hi,
I've got a tiny one (tried to take a photo, but it's blurry) in silver coloured metal. Fits in the palm of your hand! Not baroque (pun!), roccoco, PC or incorrect, just plain and simple...No poohing angels from on high, either
I've seen on the tv some beautiful belenes in Sevilla (they go for it bigtime there). One man made a belen in the boot of his car! I believe you can add to your nativity scene each year (some items being very expensive) by purchasing at special fiestas de navidad in the run-up to Christmas.
Regards,
Carol
P.S. Thanks for the pics, Sam! I've yet to look at them!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:41 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

In the xmas market in Malaga city you can buy the miniture Belen`s that run on mains power, everything from small fountains, large houses too large forges wth mechanical workings.