Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Being denounced

Being denounced

Old May 27th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being denounced

Hello all,
Another feather in my spanish cap. Like a lot of people here the spanish system certainly tests your metal.
A lady came to my house on Friday asking me to go into the Ayuntemiento to collect the 50 page document from the court and told me I had 3 days to get my papers into the local court (she said that includes Sat and Sun so supposed to take them in Monday).
Haven't a clue what papers I'm supposed to be sending in but cobbled a few bits together went to the court today ( as I decided the weekend didn't really count in the 3 days).
Man at court office out, his friend said take them in manana.
Briefly, this is all a load of codswallop. I put up a new drainpipe on my house, the neighbor objected, denounced me, guardia civil came round my house, went to police station to make my statement, so I thought it best to disconnect it ( even though I'm still not sure why he objected). This was in sept 2007, so why nearly 2 years later am I having to go to court about it?
Not only is 3 days to short notice to get legal advice but being on a pension I can't afford an abogado and I can't see why I need to.
As with most things here it's a complete mystery and as usual everyone I ask either has no idea or you get several different versions.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Old May 27th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being denounced

Did you have permission from the Town Hall to put up the drainpipe?
Old May 27th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Did you have permission from the Town Hall to put up the drainpipe?
Hi tim,
Thanks for your reply. My permisso de obra was still valid from previous work but I don't think I needed to get permission and that does not appear to be the issue here.
For some reason the drainpipe from my terrace goes into my nieghbours drain. When I put the new pipe from my roof to the terrace he is objecting to the extra water going in his drain.
My problem is, why when I disconnected it is it still an issue?
Many thanks
Old May 27th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

The courts have to provide a translator so I doubt you need a abagado in this instance ,give the court notice that you dont speak perfect Spanish or else it will be adjourned,

Rgds

Rotor
Old May 27th 2009, 1:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If the drain pipe was hanging over his land, then this could be the issue.

A couple of years ago, I put up some pipes on the back of my pool-house. The pool-house is exactly on the boundary so the pipes, technically, are in his air-space. Anyway, he objected despite his house (used only 6 times / year) is some 200m away!

We get on quite well, usually, so I have now ignored the problem. But, like you, I am waiting for him to complain again or for the court summons!
Old May 27th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rotor,
That's good to know. However, because I had to put on my papers a list of people who would be coming to court on my behalf I didn't know about court translators and I put my daughter down, as she's a witness as well should be ok. He seems to half the spanish legal system on his side.

Snikpoh,
Everyone hates my nieghbour, denouncing is a hobby for him. As he wants 1,500 euros it sounds like a hobby I should start up.

Many thanks for your replies
Old May 27th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

It is just silly!

I was assulted once at a bar, my boyfriend at the time got himself in a fight, I stupidly stepped in and got a hand round my neck and a punch threatened!
It happened on a saturday night, we were at the fast court on the Monday morning......I didn't denonuce the guy the police did, so we had no choice but to go to court.....the boys were both found guilty and were ordered to pay each other the same compensatipn! I was awarded 70 euros! .........yet it took 3 years for my 70 euros to come through!

It is a crazy system!

If the worse case happens and this guy manages to win, plead poverty and you could get the payments down to silly money each month!
Old May 28th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,
Been to court office to hand in my papers and was told it wasn't necessary but that I was legally obliged to get a solicitor. Got home and was told that I would be appointed a solicitor.
I love living here..... BUT... why doesn't anyone know how anything works in this place????????
When I first arrived here some years ago I thought that manana,manana was just a cultural phrase now I realise it's a national philosophy. It applies to everything, including the Law. That's why no one knows anything because they'll decide manana what something is but then make another decision about it manana.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Hi all,
Been to court office to hand in my papers and was told it wasn't necessary but that I was legally obliged to get a solicitor. Got home and was told that I would be appointed a solicitor.
I love living here..... BUT... why doesn't anyone know how anything works in this place????????
When I first arrived here some years ago I thought that manana,manana was just a cultural phrase now I realise it's a national philosophy. It applies to everything, including the Law. That's why no one knows anything because they'll decide manana what something is but then make another decision about it manana.
Now you`re getting the idea. ;-))
Old May 29th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Hi all,

I just made a 100km round trip for an appointment my tax office to be told it was not neccesary to call in and I could have done it by post
One thing the Spanish excel at is incompetence