Beggars

Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beggars

Well I guess "some people" = me because I think I am the only one to mention the two in the same post.

So for clarity of my pov...

Man with guitar playing in street with open guitar box on the floor = busker.

Man walking around restaurant tables after briefly playing guitar = beggar.

To me there's a very clear difference. The first are welcome and add to the culture of a place, the latter are just an effin nuisance.

Regardless, never ever be arsey or give shit to them, that's not polite, and I am always polite.

And your last para is so true. It's a fine line.

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Seems some people here are getting buskers and street artists (like myself) confused with beggars.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

In Cairo over 20 years ago a pitch at one of the main traffic lights in the city cost $US 4000 a month. One of the Beggars' family was our house guard.
Another beggar died while I was there leaving over 200 appartments to his 4 wifes and offspring.
In Brussels in 1998 there was a guy on the tube with a terribly burnt face, asking for money for plastic surgery, I gave him a banknote as did many other people in the carriage. 2 years later he was still doing the same but I gave him nothing this time, He was really raking it in, well over 1K $US per hour I would think.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember the guy with one leg who used to beg from the cafes/bars around the calle san miguel area of Torremolinos some years ago?

We once saw him arrive for "work"
He got out of his car looking quite clean & smart complete with 2 legs, sat down on the kerb, removed his false leg which was placed in the car boot. He then pinned up his trouser leg and rubbed some street dirt onto his face & clothing before reaching into the car for his crutches and setting of to "earn his dosh.

Last edited by big wheels; Jan 30th 2015 at 10:56 am.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

petefromwales is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there are a lot of betn so called beggers my wife and friend went into Lo Montisinos yesterday and a guy aproached my wife with the old trick deaf and dum skit, my wife told him to gonaway, he then tried it with her friend waiting outside the shop, my wife again said go away he said sh sh then his mobile rang he answered it. Dont trust these people try ignore them.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We were in USA and surprised to see how many are living rough and begging there. Far more common than we have seen in Spain.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
We were in USA and surprised to see how many are living rough and begging there. Far more common than we have seen in Spain.
There are 100s of beggars here in Oviedo. I would say 95% of them are Eastern European. They don't sleep on the streets though, their "bosses" put them up somewhere (I don't know where)

I see them all walking into the city centre every morning to their spot
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:17 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are 100s of beggars here in Oviedo. I would say 95% of them are Eastern European. They don't sleep on the streets though, their "bosses" put them up somewhere (I don't know where)

I see them all walking into the city centre every morning to their spot
The guys and gals we saw begging in USA were definitely homeless. We saw them sleeping rough, many with their wordly goods in shopping carts. By their appearance and accent almost all we saw appeared to be American born, i.e. not immigrants as is the norm in Spain.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The guys and gals we saw begging in USA were definitely homeless. We saw them sleeping rough, many with their wordly goods in shopping carts. By their appearance and accent almost all we saw appeared to be American born, i.e. not immigrants as is the norm in Spain.
I witnessed this in Boston 18 months ago. There was a shortage of street corners to accommodate them all begging.
The park was full of them sleeping rough under trees or on benches.
I got into conversation with a young man about the situation and he explained he had been in a similar situation until recently, he also explained that the majority had mental problems and the government had some years previously closed down most of the mental institutions leaving these people on the streets.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 1:32 am
Started off with nothing

Some were disabled veterans with missing limbs. It is sad to see people with genuine problems in such dire straights in what is the richest country in the world.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:00 am
Just Joined

petefromwales is an unknown quantity at this point

So very true gents!
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

There's a Scottish guy hangs around Malaga airport pushing a luggage trolley with a couple of old cases and bags on it. Keeps asking if anyone can spare him a couple of euros so he can get his flight home.
Seen him many times over the last ten years, still trying to get that flight home.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petefromwales
Yes there are a lot of betn so called beggers my wife and friend went into Lo Montisinos yesterday and a guy aproached my wife with the old trick deaf and dum skit, my wife told him to gonaway, he then tried it with her friend waiting outside the shop, my wife again said go away he said sh sh then his mobile rang he answered it. Dont trust these people try ignore them.
Same happened to me last week in Lidl in Benissa. He had a very nice typed letter and apparently some other people had already given sums of 10 and 20 euro each. I asked where his "identification" was, he pretended not to understand. Of course I refused to give money. He then approached some one else in the store. I walked up and told this other person that he did not have ID, the guy then ran out of the store. My other half saw him come out and have a quick spoken discussion with some other guy and they both scarpered.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The guys and gals we saw begging in USA were definitely homeless. We saw them sleeping rough, many with their wordly goods in shopping carts. By their apypearance and accent almost all we saw appeared to be American born, i.e. not immigrants as is the norm in Spain.
Agreed.

I am currently in Seattle and the disparity between the haves and have nots is unbelievable. There is clearly a lot of wealth but also a lot of poverty and homelessness.

The States may be a rich country but it does not look after its needy. My daughter gives to a guy who lives under a bridge. He is extremely well spoken, courteous and thankful for what he is given. Unfortunately he has mental issues that surface from time to time. It seems he gets little or no state support.
It's outrageous!
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
There used to be one outside Lidl Torremolinos about a year ago, She used to have her companion come with his bike and trailer 3 or 4 times a day to fill up with all the stuff she had been given. She has probably retired or opened a supermarket with the donations.I expect she has moved on, the Companion had a bike and large closed trailer with lots of flags and very loud music, are they around your way now?
They are now in Fuengirola................
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
They are now in Fuengirola................
Fuengirola-arghhhh.. Not to mention the hundreds of Looky-Looky men!
Why do bar/café owners allow them onto the premises when you are eating? "No thank you , I don't want a Elephant, DVDs, CDs, Caps, Polo shirt, Watch, Suinglasses....no thank you. 2mins later here they come again "Boss you want an Elephant...good CDs" No thank you Sir!.............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.