Beef Mince

Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beef Mince

We have now lived in Spain for 2 weeks, Feeling the need for a homemade Spag Bog we bought the Tomatoes, found fresh Basil, Onion and Garlic all not too difficult. Beloved found a Butchers next to Lidl in Velez Malaga and bought Mince. She was assured it was "Vacuno" but on cooking looked and tasted more like Veal. How do we ensure Mince like Tesco makes ?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beef Mince

Originally Posted by lyric050203
We have now lived in Spain for 2 weeks, Feeling the need for a homemade Spag Bog we bought the Tomatoes, found fresh Basil, Onion and Garlic all not too difficult. Beloved found a Butchers next to Lidl in Velez Malaga and bought Mince. She was assured it was "Vacuno" but on cooking looked and tasted more like Veal. How do we ensure Mince like Tesco makes ?
It's going back many years, but I once worked in a butchery department for the above-mentioned supermarket. You'd be surprised at the mixture of different animals (never mind the fat content) that was mixed into the mince. I hope (and believe) they have better standards nowadays.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't believe that the butchers was part of the supermarket, rather a butchers adjacent to it, it had a wide range of meat on display, none pre-packed and there was the normal pre-packed stuff inside the supermarket.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my post wasn't totally clear - it was Tesco's I worked for. I imagine the supermarket pre-packed mince would have a similar taste to what you normally get from Tesco. I'm surprised you didn't like the stuff the butcher provided. I do like the sound of Spag Bol though. Maybe next week...
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:32 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Mince here in Spain is so much better than the basic supermarket stuff you buy back in the UK. If you want you can ask the butcher for beef for a casserole ( just say carne para casserole, that's what I do and I am understood, I know this is not proper grammer but when needs must and all that) then ask him to mince it for you there in front of you. Beef looks deep red in colour and veal is more of a milky pinky/redish colour. Even minced veal would be so much better than the stuff you are used to back in the UK.

I expect someone with more savvy will be a long soon and tell you what to ask for correctly. Good Luck, oh and welcome by the way.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

She was assured it was "Vacuno" but on cooking looked and tasted more like Veal.
I realise it's not what you were asking, but there are traditional ragu recipes
that use veal, so that may be closer to the original italian dish.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for carne picada = minced meat. Most Spanish butchers will have a mincer.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

they put pork in it

pork cheap.beef dear.veal expensive

thats it you daft...

Last edited by sensationalfrog; Oct 29th 2008 at 11:51 pm. Reason: i sweared,a bit
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:55 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

We use Hamburger mince which is loose from the meat counter you will see it marked as such, about 6-7 euros a kilo in Suma I have eaten it but we buy it for the Dogs as they are rather spoilt having been brought back from almost death at the hand of Spanish hunters before being booted out having passed their hunting best or surplus to requirements. Nothing wrong with the meat its good as is Mucky Donna s packet mince big chunks of mince meat after cooking not desolving into the water like some.You will see cow on the packet or cow and pig if mixed with pork. I always buy cheese, Ham or meat from the butcher or fresh meat counter,The only packet meat is the mince from mucky. Here is a pic of the dogs with their new Hollywood teeth, Legal action against vet pending.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:51 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of a vegetarian altrernative? Try quorn mince - so much nicer and definitely no nasty bits in it Add some chopped chilli to spice it up
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Have you thought of a vegetarian altrernative? Try quorn mince - so much nicer and definitely no nasty bits in it Add some chopped chilli to spice it up
no nasty bits in my mince from mercadona - hardly any fat, either
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had any probs with carne picada de vacuno from carrefour nor any other of the big supermarkets......ps i'd far rather shop in the local butchers but they all have the usual alarming queuing/smoking/etc issues!.....pps I'd be
gobsmacked if you had difficulty obtaining tomatoes, onion or garlic...... buen provecho!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Its simple, choose a piece of meat and ask the butcher to mince it ,that way you know exactly what it was
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:43 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rotor
Its simple, choose a piece of meat and ask the butcher to mince it ,that way you know exactly what it was

That's what happens in this neck of the woods
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:56 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
Mince here in Spain

I expect someone with more savvy will be a long soon and tell you what to ask for correctly. Good Luck, oh and welcome by the way.
The correct way to ask at the butchers on the east coast of spain is.Exuse me can I have some beef please.The butcher will reply.corblimey jon.are you from essex aswell.

Last edited by betris; Oct 30th 2008 at 4:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.