Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBVA bank charges for Euro transfer

BBVA bank charges for Euro transfer

Old Mar 13th 2023, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

terrygriff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBVA bank charges for Euro transfer

Hi, got a question on charges from BBVA bank on a euro transfer I made to a villa owner last month. My UK bank did not make any charges for the Euro transfer and I confirmed that the full villa deposit amount was received by BBVA.

The villa owner is now demanding I pay ' Compartidos ' of the full 21 Euros charge that her bank charged her for the transfer.

I don't understand why I am liable for the Compartidos as I confirmed the full amount was transferred and I'm likely to be asked for additional funds when I pay the final rental.

Anyone got any insight as to what is going on with this charge?

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2023, 2:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBVA bank charges for Euro transfer

It was likely a "receive wire fee", which used to be very common, but some banks stopped the practice, as these days, with automated systems, the receiving bank incurs no significant costs in receiving a wire for their customer.

I think Halifax used to charge £15 to receive a wire, but that was over 20 years ago.
Old Mar 13th 2023, 7:28 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

With shared bank charges, the person that sends the transfer pays the charges that their bank (the sending bank) charges, and the person that receives the transfer pays the charges that their bank (the receiving bank) charges.

And unfortunately looking at BBVA's tariffs, we can see that their charge for receiving transfers from outside the EEA is minimum €21. Even if it was sent in euros.

Last edited by DLC; Mar 13th 2023 at 7:40 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2023, 8:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrygriff
Hi, got a question on charges from BBVA bank on a euro transfer I made to a villa owner last month. My UK bank did not make any charges for the Euro transfer and I confirmed that the full villa deposit amount was received by BBVA.

The villa owner is now demanding I pay ' Compartidos ' of the full 21 Euros charge that her bank charged her for the transfer.

I don't understand why I am liable for the Compartidos as I confirmed the full amount was transferred and I'm likely to be asked for additional funds when I pay the final rental.

Anyone got any insight as to what is going on with this charge?

Thanks
It is irrelevant what the currency is.

What matters is the source of the money.

If it comes from a non-EU source, then many Spanish banks will charge - Sabadell charge 18€, BBVA charge 21€ etc.
Old Mar 17th 2023, 10:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

His bank his charge end of ........
Old Mar 19th 2023, 7:55 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If paying by bank transfer for goods or services, isn't it the usual thing for the sender to pay the receiving bank's fees with an OUR transfer or for the sender to pay any fees incurred by the receiver with a SHA or BEN transfer some other way?