BBC and Spain

Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC and Spain

Does the BBC have an ax to grind against Spain ? I've noticed twice this week they have really big headlines concerning Spain (First this week was the report on the population drop and today the main headline a few minutes ago was all about our 27% unemployment rate) yet they hardly report on other countries when there is big drama going on i.e France and the big hoohaw over gay marriage or Italy and its inability to form a valid government

What do you think?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:00 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC and Spain

The European economy is important to the Brits.

The rest of it.. It's not clear whether it's a deliberate omission of other areas of Europe, maybe the 27% is just newsworthy today - especially following the mildly positive news about the UK economy.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:06 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen plenty of reports about the Gay issue in France on BBC...and many italian news reports. Perhaps you are just a bit sensitive like Stevie
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:12 am
Account Closed

@ Jackie LOL no I'm actually the exact opposite of Steve i.e I'm quite negative about Spain even though I've lived and worked here for over 20 years

I only came here because I was offered a job which it would have been stupid to refuse, I was quite happy where I was in France at the time (if anything I'm a Francophile)
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
(if anything I'm a Francophile)
That could easily be misconstrued, especially here in Spain, though seemingly there's still quite a few of his fans about.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
That could easily be misconstrued, especially here in Spain, though seemingly there's still quite a few of his fans about.
LOL nice one DD
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
Does the BBC have an ax to grind against Spain ? I've noticed twice this week they have really big headlines concerning Spain (First this week was the report on the population drop and today the main headline a few minutes ago was all about our 27% unemployment rate) yet they hardly report on other countries when there is big drama going on i.e France and the big hoohaw over gay marriage or Italy and its inability to form a valid government

What do you think?
Did you think they had an axe to grind when they focused on Greece? Or all the reports they did on Cyprus? How about when Portugal and Italy were in the crap?
To be honest today was the first time I've even seen Spain on the news for some time and I watch their brilliant World News program as well.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Tbh I don't watch BBC TV as I live in Madrid, its their website that I refer to, and the thing I found most unusual was that the report on Spains population drop was the leading item last Monday, and I mean the front page not the news section.

AFIK Cyprus,Portugal and Italy are still in the crap, yet how come they haven't (for example) mentioned as Front page news item Italy's inability to form a government after nearly two weeks since they had an election? or the fact that Portugal announced this week that they intend to make even more drastic cuts etc.

Anyway I was just interested to see if it was all my imagination or if others shared my POV
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
Tbh I don't watch BBC TV as I live in Madrid, its their website that I refer to, and the thing I found most unusual was that the report on Spains population drop was the leading item last Monday, and I mean the front page not the news section.

AFIK Cyprus,Portugal and Italy are still in the crap, yet how come they haven't (for example) mentioned as Front page news item Italy's inability to form a government after nearly two weeks since they had an election? or the fact that Portugal announced this week that they intend to make even more drastic cuts etc.

Anyway I was just interested to see if it was all my imagination or if others shared my POV
Maybe its geared towards your IP addy? You know, like Facebook suggesting things that you might like judging by what you post?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

LOL does Facebook do that ? unfortunately I have a strong dislike for Facebook so I never post there, IMO it's a social network inhabited by lots of stupid people.
as for the IP well I'm sure you were joking but maybe the BBC portal does do a IP lookup for everyone. I'll have to try one of those proxys people on here are always talking about when they want to watch UK TV
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I check the Europe section on the BBC news website pretty well every day and I don't think they've got a downer on Spain, they are simply reporting what's happening. The past few weeks have been mainly about Italy.

As for Facebook, it's what you make it. I use it a lot, to keep in regular contact with friends and family I hardly ever get to see face to face, and I don't think I'm stupid! I also use it as a newsfeed. You can turn off the games and all that nonsense.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
LOL does Facebook do that ? unfortunately I have a strong dislike for Facebook so I never post there, IMO it's a social network inhabited by lots of stupid people.
as for the IP well I'm sure you were joking but maybe the BBC portal does do a IP lookup for everyone. I'll have to try one of those proxys people on here are always talking about when they want to watch UK TV
Facebook is only as stupid as your family and friends are
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Facebook is only as stupid as your family and friends are
If you post your facebook URL here, maybe it will help us all better understand your point.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

As for Facebook, it's what you make it. I use it a lot, to keep in regular contact with friends and family I hardly ever get to see face to face, and I don't think I'm stupid! I also use it as a newsfeed. You can turn off the games and all that nonsense.
Same here. I never used to use it, but like you, I don't use any of the games, I find it great for keeping me in touch on what is happening locally, I upload photos there (it's sold me a few), mainly interested in Spanish, the nature, wildlife stuff that's happening in the locality.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Even the policĂ­a are busy twittering nowadays, several agents working full time spreading the word!
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2013/0...366999970.html

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 28th 2013 at 8:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.