View Poll Results: Do you believe people keep too many dogs in one household?
yes
100.00%
no
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Barking Mad -

Old Jun 25th 2015, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

barkingdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barking Mad -

Dogs....
Dogs

Regarding people walking dogs on leads, I live in the Hondons Campo area and dog mess is always prevalent outside my property
I would like to know out of curiosity how many dogs people are allowed legally to keep? as it a appears that a large number of dogs on some properties cause a nuisance to people living close by.

People talk about the welfare of dogs but what about the welfare of people? those people came to Spain to live a peaceful and fulfilling life and not to live life in a dog kennel.
It seems those people who keep these dogs do not care about the noise or the nuisance they cause others, they make other peoples lives hell which they are obviously well aware of.

These dog rescue organisations should show more responsibility, respect and think before constantly supplying people with more and more dogs about the impact it has on others. I would say there are a lot more people out there with similar views but are maybe too polite to say anything - so I say to those people stand up don't be barked over .

I would be interested to hear from anyone else sharing these views
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Mad -

This is a thorny subject that comes up regularly on Expat Spain forums.

As a (fairly) responsible dog owner we Brits are criticised by campo dwellers for cruelly taking away the right to a pet to procreate i.e. by sterilising at the vet yet the same Spaniards publically dispose of unwanted litters of pups or kittens by putting in a sack and hitting against a wall till they are all dead. I only use that to illustrate the different mindset and it is their country..

I suspect there isn't an upper limit as long as they are cared for. I know of one fenced property near a Spanish friend that has 40 hunting dogs loose. If our friends even breathe the dogs bark. They just live with it but hate it.

I also suspect that you are on a dodgy wicket criticising dog rescue organisations (mostly run for free) for rehoming dogs. What do you advocate ? They put them down?

None of that helps with your questions. Why do you not ask the owners next time a dog messes near your property to pick it up? Also you could try politely asking them to keep their dogs a bit quieter.

I suspect someone will be along to offer some more constructive advice - involving the Guardia Civil or making a denuncia.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of a pointless poll, dog lovers will vote one way and dog haters the other. What really need to be done is to change the Spanish attitude to dog and cat ownership.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barkingdog

Dogs....
Dogs

Regarding people walking dogs on leads, I live in the Hondons Campo area and dog mess is always prevalent outside my property
I would like to know out of curiosity how many dogs people are allowed legally to keep? as it a appears that a large number of dogs on some properties cause a nuisance to people living close by.

People talk about the welfare of dogs but what about the welfare of people? those people came to Spain to live a peaceful and fulfilling life and not to live life in a dog kennel.
It seems those people who keep these dogs do not care about the noise or the nuisance they cause others, they make other peoples lives hell which they are obviously well aware of.

These dog rescue organisations should show more responsibility, respect and think before constantly supplying people with more and more dogs about the impact it has on others. I would say there are a lot more people out there with similar views but are maybe too polite to say anything - so I say to those people stand up don't be barked over .

I would be interested to hear from anyone else sharing these views
At the end of the day who gives humans the right to decide what's right or wrong. Let the dogs decide
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 25th 2015, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Having a nice drink at a beach bar and couple turn up with three dogs, 2 of which I saw urinating (dogs not the couple!) within seconds of their arrival. It's meant to be a dog free beach.
Why are some dog owners so inconsiderate?
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They are inconsiderate. Me, me, me, me......and my doggies and screw everyone else.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested to hear from anyone else sharing these views[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2015, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Controversial first post.

People choose to come to Spain, this is Spain not any other country, different mind set, different laws etc.,

Spanish campo equals dogs equals dog noise/mess.

Vets here seem against putting healthy dogs to sleep. Education is the way and there are some great rescue centres making inroads with the hunter in spaying and general health of the animals.

Not the Spaniards fault you moved here and don't like his ways.

OHHH hit the dog rescues, always fair game, if they were not around you would see the full horror of the way SOME Spaniards and SOME other nationalities leave their unwanted dogs to die in the campo and beyond. I am sure that would be far worse than dog mess which DOES really annoy me too. The offenders where I live are NOT Spaniards but other ex pats who don't give a shit about the neighbours. I leave poo bags on the door handles and now we have much less poo around :-)
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Angry Re: Barking Mad -

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A bit of a pointless poll, dog lovers will vote one way and dog haters the other. What really need to be done is to change the Spanish attitude to dog and cat ownership.

I fully agree with you - but it was intended to get a response from the people who are not happy with the situations surrounding them when it comes to dogs... there seems to be a LOT of unhappy people living with the constant noise of barking dogs but these people seem to be outnumbered by dog owners who don't give a .... about their neighbours. I have had some very interesting replies from another source and I feel there are many people feeling alone with their misery, however there are many of them!
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Barking Mad -

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Controversial first post.

People choose to come to Spain, this is Spain not any other country, different mind set, different laws etc.,

Spanish campo equals dogs equals dog noise/mess.

Vets here seem against putting healthy dogs to sleep. Education is the way and there are some great rescue centres making inroads with the hunter in spaying and general health of the animals.

Not the Spaniards fault you moved here and don't like his ways.

OHHH hit the dog rescues, always fair game, if they were not around you would see the full horror of the way SOME Spaniards and SOME other nationalities leave their unwanted dogs to die in the campo and beyond. I am sure that would be far worse than dog mess which DOES really annoy me too. The offenders where I live are NOT Spaniards but other ex pats who don't give a shit about the neighbours. I leave poo bags on the door handles and now we have much less poo around :-)
This message was never about the Spaniards and their ways or laws etc it has always been about the expats who appear to have little or no respect for their neighbours when it comes to noisy dogs and fouling anywhere and everywhere - the dog rescue centres are at fault somewhat as they are constantly pilling on the dogs with the carers without any consideration for neighbours close by and having to put up with all the barking that is constant each day. I feel that the people have a right to peace and quiet for where they have chosen to live - thats why most expats come to Spain for the weather and space around them and not to be kept awake day and night by dog noise which is not being controlled in any way..... maybe you could supply a batch of poo bags for us all to hang on our gates!

"Spanish campo equals dogs equals dog noise/mess."...... this should not be the case - imagine all those people trying to sell their houses in whichever campo they live in! to hear this comment is so negative.......
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

This message was never about the Spaniards and their ways or laws etc it has always been about the expats who appear to have little or no respect for their neighbours when it comes to noisy dogs and fouling anywhere and everywhere expats are no better at 'home' either if that is your thinking.

- the dog rescue centres are at fault somewhat as they are constantly pilling on the dogs with the carers without any consideration for neighbours close by and having to put up with all the barking that is constant each day. Rescue centres do not make people take dogs, carers as you call them do not have to take them. The consideration is the owners responsibility

I feel that the people have a right to peace and quiet for where they have chosen to live - thats why most expats come to Spain for the weather and space around them if they did day time night time checks of the area they choose then surely they would have known about the nosie level, if it only happened after they arrived there then that's the luck of the draw. Happens all over you just have to find a way to deal with it. I have to take issue with most expats come to Spain for the weather and the space. I came for neither of those things, many others also came for different reasons.

and not to be kept awake day and night by dog noise which is not being controlled in any way..... Noise control is non existent inmany ways DIY being my bug bare ! Dog noise as I said is one the things the Spanish do not hear, in general. maybe you could supply a batch of poo bags for us all to hang on our gates! cheap to buy sure you can afford some :-)

"Spanish campo equals dogs equals dog noise/mess."...... this should not be the case - possibly not but that is the way it is mostly. Things are a changing WHOOOO HOOOOO my German neighbour is even kinda conforming now ! the other night he picked up his dog mess, but launched it over the wall imagine all those people trying to sell their houses in whichever campo they live in! to hear this comment is so negative.......

Living in Spain sure is different and it takes time to get used to it and not get used to some of it swings roundabouts. So far I am doing alright with the odd bout of real ARGHHHHH about the way things get done or not :-)
Old Jul 4th 2015, 6:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench

Vets here seem against putting healthy dogs to sleep.
That should never be the solution, but actually the law was changed a couple of years back and it is now illegal for a vet to put down a healthy animal.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

In my village and surrounding areas there are many dog owners (of all nationalities) and most have one thing in common - lack of respect to others and the rules of the town halls which forbid dogs pooping in many places.

They take their dogs out for a walk to go to the toilet and the rest of have to suffer and watch this disgusting (yes maybe natural) event especially number 2's, whether they pick it up or not.

Why can't they train their dogs do their mess in their own backyards, gardens, balconies, doggie toilets or whatever THEN take them out for a walk.

I wonder how a dog owner would feel if I squatted outside their house whilst they were having a BBQ did a dump and walked away (or even picked it up)?

I wonder how a dog owner would feel if when they are sat outside a restaurant having a beer or and / or eating a human went squatted down and did a poop right next to where they were eating, I am sure they would not be happy - yet they let their dogs do this and people have to suffer in silence as the abuse you would get if you complained is unreal

It is NOT the dogs fault buy the ignorance of MOST dog owners