Bar in Spain

Old Feb 25th 2015, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Bar2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bar in Spain

Without trying to invite the wrath of the fail fail fail group on here, myself and my partner took the plunge and opened a bar in the Costa Del Sol back in the summer of 2013.

And we are still here!

We were in our late 20s early 30s at the time and came from well paid jobs in the UK. One of us was a fluent Spanish speaker, but the only experience we had in the sector was working in others bars in our younger years.

We fancied a change of lifestyle and had the view that we would rather go through life having tried to make a go of it than live the rest of it thinking what if.....

We stayed in Fuengirola for a week in early 2013 and travelled up and down the coast viewing quite a few bars before settling on one in the far South of the Costa Del Sol. The bar was closed and hadent been trading for a year. We purchased the lease for a modest price and refurbished and bought new furniture. Opening was delayed by electric and water connection issues, but we overcame it.

The bar is drinks only. We employed two staff on temp contracts for the summer and opened.

Summer 2013 was good. Back end of September the tourists went home so takings dropped, but we had a good mix of Spanish locals and an expat crowed to keep us ticking over the quiet winter months. We kept one staff member on till the end of December on a temporary extended contract.

Dont get me wrong, some nights we only took 30€ but this was made up for on nights when we took €400/500. We closed Sundays Jan to Easter for our day off.

We employed two staff again for summer 2014 April to November. One of our staff went self employed November 2014, who we now keep on permantley two nights a week (5 nights this coming season), so we get two full days off together and one or two off separately each week (only need one on this time of year unless it's an event night)

Takings Summer 2014 are up 50% on previous Summer and winter takings up a similar level (which we expected now we are more established). Every month of 2014 and 2015 has been up on takings compared to the same month the year before. Christmas and new year weeks where trading at summer levels. This Feb is the first 'bump on the road' due to the unseasonably cold weather we have suffered and we are on track for only a similar level of takings to that of Feb 2014.

So in Summary, we have had a good go and made, we think, a success of it. I do think we bought at a good time when things couldn't really get any worse and are in a unique position in Spain, in terms of the bars location and number of £paid ex-pats has also been helpful for turnover!

It would have been useful when we where looking a couple of years ago to have been able to come on here and have any questions we had answered rather than be met with the fail fail fail brigade. So if anyone is thinking of taking the plunge, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help without the negativity.

Last edited by Bar2015; Feb 25th 2015 at 1:23 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bar in Spain

Originally Posted by Bar2015
Without trying to invite the wrath of the fail fail fail group on here, myself and my partner took the plunge and opened a bar in the Costa Del Sol back in the summer of 2013.

It would have been useful when we where looking a couple of years ago to have been able to come on here and have any questions we had answered rather than be met with the fail fail fail brigade. So if anyone is thinking of raking the plunge, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help without the negativity.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see this and congratulations on the progress so far, and best wishes for the future.

I am not one of the brigade. When I see the usual responses about how there's no chance at all, I can't tally that with seeing so many Brits working on the coasts and making a living.

We have here quite a few who have a very negative view of Spain due to bad experiences, some of whom have not been in the country for quite a while and now spend their spare time in the UK advising others on matters they know little about.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

I would firstly like to congratulate you in succeeding and secondly to ask where your bar is and its name as I def would like to give you a turn. Well done and good luck for the future
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dondurma
I would firstly like to congratulate you in succeeding and secondly to ask where your bar is and its name
That will also be great advice for the next person asking where to set up their new bar
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Only trying to encourage the lads and maybe give them a bit of trade
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dondurma
I would firstly like to congratulate you in succeeding and secondly to ask where your bar is and its name as I def would like to give you a turn. Well done and good luck for the future
Well, it's southern costa del sol about 25 minutes from Gibraltar. Marina location but not front line. Not going to be anymore specific than that on case anyone wants info on figures etc!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

No probs.

Never thought of the " competitor " issues- was just wishing you the best

Good luck with your venture
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's southern costa del sol about 25 minutes from Gibraltar. Marina location but not front line.
Duquesa Marina.

Nice area

Well done
Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Duquesa Marina.

Nice area

Well done
Marinas at Alcadeisa, Algeciras, Sotograde, Estepona... have I missed any?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Marinas at Alcadeisa, Algeciras, Sotograde, Estepona... have I missed any?
about 25 minutes from Gibraltar
Old Feb 25th 2015, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

How far from Gibraltar are you Fred?
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

There's a property for sale in a nearby town to us.

It consists of a 10 room bed/breakfast accomodation, a bar and a discoteque- all this for 49.000€ That is not a misprint! So while some parts of Spain a success can be made in running a bar, the vast majority of places its just plain out of the question.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Horlics
How far from Gibraltar are you Fred?
I live here
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
There's a property for sale in a nearby town to us.

It consists of a 10 room bed/breakfast accomodation, a bar and a discoteque- all this for 49.000€ That is not a misprint! So while some parts of Spain a success can be made in running a bar, the vast majority of places its just plain out of the question.
I fail to see the connection between success and price that you are trying to make. There could be any number of reasons why the property is reasonably priced, legality, structural issues etc. A combination of B&B Bar and disco is likely to be a legal mind field. Doesn't mean that if all was in order it couldn't work.

Suggestion that the 'vast majority' of places in spain if off limits to making a success in the bar industry is hyperbole.

We spent significantly less than 49k on our purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.