Bar in spain

Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bar in spain

Where's me gag
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:18 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
With every business venture it is all about the research, research, research.

Now is not the best time to be buying a business but then again if you have lots of vitulars experience, a canny mind for money, a good head for bargaining, an excellent grasp of Spanish and plenty of money to keep you solvent then it may be worth considering.

Most people who look to take on a bar have no idea, no money, no grasp of reality and the blind faith that they are the ones to make it work, they last a couple of months and return broke, miserable and all to often single.

So the up side is if you think it is an upside - now everything is cheap the down side is no customers, no income and potentially no prospects but someone has to succeed eventually.

If it was me I would not touch it at the moment, but then again your not me.

Good Luck what ever you decide
A very sensible & relevant post !

Brian
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:40 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I have never owned or operated a bar but have been involved with a few indirectly over the years,....not just supping pints I might add.
Two friends of mine started up towards the end of the previous recession in Tenerife when most places were struggling badly.
They had previous experience in the UK and a very clear view of what was needed to succeed.
They still dipped their toes in cautiously with fairly basic places to test their ideas and as things came out of recession jumped in the deep end and took on much bigger and better premises.
In both cases they made it big-time with big bucks,packed out every night,not due to cheap beer, but by providing a really top class nights entertainment with a great atmosphere.
I think the main secret was down to having one really good popular resident artist.
Having first studied which artists did the rounds of various bars and which always had an exceptionally good following, they then offered a very attractive permanent resident contract plus bonuses to the said artist, which no doubt made life much easier for all concerned.
They definitely proved its worthwhile paying a bit extra for a really good turn that can pull the crowds in.
If punters go in a place on their first night out and have a fantastic time, its a fair bet they will look on it as their local and spend a lot of their time and cash there throughout their stay and also not worry too much about paying a few cents extra for their beer either.
With the right atmosphere,the right entertainment,kept flowing non stop through the artists breaks with the usual bingo and raffles etc.,they proved just what could be achieved, whilst adjacent bars were largely deserted and most likely losing money.
In addition, by making so much profit during a few hours evening session they did not necessarily have to slave and struggle on for all the long hours that the majority of bars need just to make ends meet.