Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Banks in Chiclana, Cadiz, Costa de la luz

Banks in Chiclana, Cadiz, Costa de la luz

Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:29 am
Just Joined

grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Post Banks in Chiclana, Cadiz, Costa de la luz

Hi there!
Can anyone offer any advice on opening a bank account in spain and a savings account. I believe alot of the banks especially Spanish ones have very high charges for transferring money in/out etc...,
Can anyone recommend a good bank, preferably with English speaking staff and relatively low charges on everyday things that you would use a bank for

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Banks in Chiclana, Cadiz, Costa de la luz

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Hi there!
Can anyone offer any advice on opening a bank account in spain and a savings account. I believe alot of the banks especially Spanish ones have very high charges for transferring money in/out etc...,
Can anyone recommend a good bank, preferably with English speaking staff and relatively low charges on everyday things that you would use a bank for

Thanks!

From what I hear the Halifax is very good, and offer free transfers from your UK account, though there aren't any actual branches in Chiclana. I am with Banca March, there are branches all over. The staff in Sancti Petri do speak OK english. To transfer money, you can open an account with Banca March in London, they did tell me if I did that, then transfers would be free. The internet banking site is quite simple to use too.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Is there such a thing as cheap Banking in Spain?

We're with Bankinter and though I'm not really up on the fine details of how they compare on charges for me their best assest is our Account Manager in the Chiclana Branch.

He's German but speaks excellent English and Spanish and is so efficient. He always answers emails (often within the hour) and was a godsend when we were purchasing our house. It's like having the 'old style' UK Bank Manager.

We use the internet banking www.ebankinter.com which we find easy to use.

We also had an account with Banca Marche in the beginning but closed it in favour of Bankinter as they were easier to deal with.

I don't know what we'll do if he leaves though!!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:01 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Hi there!

Thanks!
If you transfer money throught HIFX, the currency exchange people, they guarantee no charges at the other end. Our account and mortgage in Spain are with SabadellAtlantico in Cadiz, but we had no probs getting a bankers draft in the Chiclana branch to pay the deposit on the kitchen. Christobal Mundoz at the Cadiz branch speaks very good english. There is also an internet facility just like a British bank to make transfers etc. And they have a London branch in Pall mall though we haven't as yet explored what the can offer, as at the moment there is no need.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dazzle

We're with Bankinter and though I'm not really up on the fine details of how they compare on charges for me their best assest is our Account Manager in the Chiclana Branch.

He's German but speaks excellent English and Spanish and is so efficient. He always answers emails (often within the hour) and was a godsend when we were purchasing our house. It's like having the 'old style' UK Bank Manager.

We also had an account with Banca Marche in the beginning but closed it in favour of Bankinter as they were easier to deal with.!!!
We are with Bankinter at Chiclana too.. and from your description, I think we share the same account manager who is just brilliant - he was great when we were buying our house too. I've said to him before, please don't leave, what would we do without you?

I don't know what we'll do if he leaves though.. follow him I think....
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NicCol
From what I hear the Halifax is very good, and offer free transfers from your UK account, though there aren't any actual branches in Chiclana. I am with Banca March, there are branches all over. The staff in Sancti Petri do speak OK english. To transfer money, you can open an account with Banca March in London, they did tell me if I did that, then transfers would be free. The internet banking site is quite simple to use too.
Thanks very much for your reply, your info is a great help, I would have thought it would be more convenient for us to open with a bank that has a branch in Chiclana.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dazzle

We also had an account with Banca Marche in the beginning but closed it in favour of Bankinter as they were easier to deal with.

I don't know what we'll do if he leaves though!!!
EBankinter, should be paying you all commission for selling there services and their staff. I think we may have to call in and see them, when we come to Chiclana. Thanks for your reply
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by poollounger
If you transfer money throught HIFX, the currency exchange people, they guarantee no charges at the other end. Our account and mortgage in Spain are with SabadellAtlantico in Cadiz, but we had no probs getting a bankers draft in the Chiclana branch to pay the deposit on the kitchen. Christobal Mundoz at the Cadiz branch speaks very good english. There is also an internet facility just like a British bank to make transfers etc. And they have a London branch in Pall mall though we haven't as yet explored what the can offer, as at the moment there is no need.
Again thankyou very much for your reply. All info is greatly accepted. I haven't actually heard of your bank, but will certainly consider them after what you have told us.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cindyp
We are with Bankinter at Chiclana too.. and from your description, I think we share the same account manager who is just brilliant - he was great when we were buying our house too. I've said to him before, please don't leave, what would we do without you?

I don't know what we'll do if he leaves though.. follow him I think....
Again thankyou for replying. The account manager in the Chiclana branch, is obviously very good at his job and deserves a pay rise from the sounds of it. They are definately at the top of our list after everyone's comments.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

We use Deutsche Bank in Novo Sancti Petri who are also very helpful.

Pool lounger do HIFX guarantee that your bank will not charge you when they receive the money. I know they offer free transfers but I think this means that they will not charge you to transfer the money but when your bank receives it then they charge you for that.

FX Solutions are also good, there is a link to them here - there is also some other useful info on buying in the area here if that is what you are doing.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:04 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
We use Deutsche Bank in Novo Sancti Petri who are also very helpful.

Pool lounger do HIFX guarantee that your bank will not charge you when they receive the money. I know they offer free transfers but I think this means that they will not charge you to transfer the money but when your bank receives it then they charge you for that.

FX Solutions are also good, there is a link to them here - there is also some other useful info on buying in the area here if that is what you are doing.
Yes they guarantee no chages at the receiving end in Spain. No charges for the Swift transaction to get the money over there, and no charges at the other end for receiving. I believe it is one free transfer each way per transaction.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by poollounger
Yes they guarantee no chages at the receiving end in Spain. No charges for the Swift transaction to get the money over there, and no charges at the other end for receiving. I believe it is one free transfer each way per transaction.
Is there a minimum amount? Most make no charge on large amounts but someone who offered the same service on small amounts would be really good.

I don't get charged by Bankinter to receive a transfer from my British Account but of course the Bank here does charge me.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

That is wondeful Poollounger - I will be looking into that for future :-)

Dazzle it looks like they do a monthly direct debit option which you may find useful - if you contact them or FX Solutions they can usually work something out with them and it is worth haggling
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

mickeacs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

Thanks!

No matter what bank you go to you usually end up with rip off charges. Try to pick an English Bank, Barclays or Halifax, so at least you can get online banking. When transferring money between Spain and the UK use one of the currency brokers or money transfer companies that are registered such as www.sun-pay.com or www.currenciesdirect.com
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:56 pm
Crouching Tiger

david_cadiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Banks in Chiclana, Cadiz, Costa de la luz

Since I bought my house I have transferred money to my bank in spain and sometimes ive been charged and sometimes not. It transpires that not all Spanish based banks have a direct contract in place with UK banks so the money is transferred via a third party and therefore a fee is passed on to the receiving bank and then you the customer. So the main thing is to check with your local bank in spain (whichever one you end up going with) to see what their arrangements are.

More and more banks in the Costa de la Luz are adapting to the english/german speaking markets and are bringing in staff who can help. so it maybe that one branch of the bank no one speaks any english/german but that another branch does. I know most staff at Banca March in Novo Sancti Petri speaks english, I know of one member of staff who speaks english at Banco Andalucia in Chiclana town centre. If you have an Abbey account in the UK it might be worth checking out Santander Central Hispano (Bank) in spain as they now own the Abbey, so there could be a reciprocal arrangement.

As for transferring money, I think Foreign Currencies Direct (www.currencies.co.uk) and HIFX Plc (www.hifx.co.uk) are both pretty much of a muchness.

Most of the above is what ive found out as ive been researching things for myself so i hope its of use....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.