Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Banking in Spain (La Caixa)

Banking in Spain (La Caixa)

Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking in Spain (La Caixa)

Originally Posted by megmet
Be very careful when dealing with La Caixa as they don't always work in your best interest.
They called me in to discuss the best options for my money, I have some in their investments but have a quite large amount in my ordinary account.
The man I saw there who actually speaks perfect English advised that I change it to one that was "better for me", I very FOOLISHLY trusted his word and changed.
In my old account I paid maintenance charges but received interest and a free Debit card, on checking my statement on the new account I now find my maintenance charges are quite a bit more, there is no interest at all and I've been charged 26€ for my once free Debit card. The only thing this account offers is points towards free gifts which I'm not at all interested in.
I shall be calling into the bank on Monday and as I'm so annoyed it won't be pretty!
I'm actually in two minds as to whether I remain with them or move all my money elsewhere to a bank that can be trusted a little more than them, it's not the first time they have lead me down the garden path and it's cost me money.
In my opinion this bank works only for their own profit, regardless of how much the loss to the customer may be.
I know a few Bank Managers who have left their posts as they bacame sick and tired of the pressures from above.
Their jobs were no longer to Manage the bank, but to sell what ever they could to who ever they could!
I´m talking about three different people that worked at three different banks!
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Both the Manager and under manager in our branch were....moved on, this was after weekly demonstrations spread across a two month protest. They deliberately miss sold investment funds, telling their customers (including me) that they were just high interest accounts with no risk. These accounts were in fact investments in the stock market and at one stage my investment was 2.000€ down, the moment it was in profit I moved it but had to pay commission fees.

Dom....
As for the Pensioner account my branch tells me it is only for the Spanish, I've actually told them that they are telling lies.
I'm not pursuing it at the moment as I'm due a large refund from the Tax dept and don't want to mess that up by changing the number of my account.
Once that's sorted I may change banks, there is a difference between them making the best profit for the bank and being down right and intentionally dishonest.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 8:07 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Both the Manager and under manager in our branch were....moved on, this was after weekly demonstrations spread across a two month protest. They deliberately miss sold investment funds, telling their customers (including me) that they were just high interest accounts with no risk. These accounts were in fact investments in the stock market and at one stage my investment was 2.000€ down, the moment it was in profit I moved it but had to pay commission fees.

Dom....
As for the Pensioner account my branch tells me it is only for the Spanish, I've actually told them that they are telling lies.
I'm not pursuing it at the moment as I'm due a large refund from the Tax dept and don't want to mess that up by changing the number of my account.
Once that's sorted I may change banks, there is a difference between them making the best profit for the bank and being down right and intentionally dishonest.
Meg
my branch had huge posters advertising the Pensioner account. When I went in to open my account I was a couple of months short, they opened an account that cost €2.45 a month. When I had to confirm to DWP my bank details I went to the branch and they did all that was necessary at their end and I gave the details to the UK and it was seamless.
And all in English.

I would have thought if you are registered as a town resident should be more than enough - failure to comply could lead the bank into hot water over and "ism" or two. A shame you are at the other end of Andalusia, or I would pm you my bank details so you could arrange a transfer of branch.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Meg
my branch had huge posters advertising the Pensioner account. When I went in to open my account I was a couple of months short, they opened an account that cost €2.45 a month. When I had to confirm to DWP my bank details I went to the branch and they did all that was necessary at their end and I gave the details to the UK and it was seamless.
And all in English.

I would have thought if you are registered as a town resident should be more than enough - failure to comply could lead the bank into hot water over and "ism" or two. A shame you are at the other end of Andalusia, or I would pm you my bank details so you could arrange a transfer of branch.
Well that's what I mean Dom, my branch are a law unto themselves!
I am a resident, complete with NIE plus Padron and I pay Tax here in Spain.
It's been that way for seven years, but despite that they even refuse to change my non resident account to a resident account...they say it doesn't need to be changed as I pay my taxes, they fail to add that resident accounts pay less charges.
To put it bluntly they are a bunch of lying cheating sods who I wouldn't trust to show me safely across the road.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually in two minds as to whether I remain with them or move all my money elsewhere to a bank that can be trusted a little more than them, it's not the first time they have lead me down the garden path and it's cost me money.
Is there such a thing?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

It's been that way for seven years, but despite that they even refuse to change my non resident account to a resident account...they say it doesn't need to be changed as I pay my taxes, they fail to add that resident accounts pay less charges.
To put it bluntly they are a bunch of lying cheating sods who I wouldn't trust to show me safely across the road.
Simples ..... ask for the complaints book! Even banks have to have them!
Old Jul 6th 2014, 7:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the BH went to another bank (not La Caixa) and sat down with the branch manager, arranged as part of the transaction for a large payment to come into the account from the UK. Fully agreed that this would be without charges due to the nature of the transaction.
When the sum arrived they added charges.
BH made a complaint to the individual who ignored the 3 emails.
So formal complain in accordance with the bank's complaint's procedure was made. This was ignored twice despite a deadline being put on the response.

The account was closed immediately with some large sums transferred out to another bank and names removed from the Christmas Card list.

Treat people like dogs wotsits then you have to explain to your area director why a large account was closed.
probably summed up by a shrug and "los ingleses están locos"
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:31 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Burden goes in the opposite direction of the money. In all things involving money, burden rarely falls on the one that has the money in hand.

In other words: what they tell you when the money is still in your hands is worth less than the breath used to say it.

Written agreements are a different animal altogether, as such things can be used in court. No surprise people so oft make lovely promises but will avoid written agreements like the plague, or when a written agreement is rendered, it bears little resemblance to the verbal agreement.

And in Spain, it often seems the accepted rule rather than the exception, and the banks aren't the worst offenders...
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:43 am

OK, my fault, but being a trusting soul I believed what I was told by my local branch when Linea Direct told me that the annual insurance on my car had been returned to them unpaid. My branch told me that no such claim had been received and that it would have been paid if received.

Now 6 months on I came to use my landline to find it suspended.
Movistar (not everyone's favourite I know) told me that the bill had been returned to them.
So this morning I went to a different branch to find out what was going on. There I found a very nice young lady who speaks perfect English who immediately found the problem. When I originally opened with La Caixa I was just a resident, when I became a UK pensioner I went back and they "converted" the account. Except they didn't. They made a new account into which my UK pension is paid direct. But they left the other account sitting there accepting and rejecting my bills.
It is all sorted now and there should be no problems.

But other than the laid back manner in which I was told that no bills received so no bills have been rejected I have a big gripe with Movistar. As a communications company they are appalling at communicating. They didn't tell me the bill had been returned not paid, just suspended the account and left me to find out the hard way.

`
Old Jul 20th 2014, 11:32 am
Just Joined

logansdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Re. "bank that can be trusted" Bank Marche has a goood reputation.....
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

Originally Posted by logansdad
Re. "bank that can be trusted" Bank Marche has a goood reputation.....
I assume you mean Banca March, founded by the arms trafficker, smuggler and wartime double agent Juan March. He certainly had a colourful career....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_March_Ordinas
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by guirijohn
I assume you mean Banca March, founded by the arms trafficker, smuggler and wartime double agent Juan March. He certainly had a colourful career....

Juan March Ordinas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well it sounds like that bank can really be trusted.