Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Banking in Spain

Banking in Spain

Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Lookingforthesun1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking in Spain

Having lived for a year in the Netherlands with their very odd (to me as a brit!) banking system how does the spanish banking system work?

Can you use the debit cards in the same way as the UK on Amazon etc or like the NL do you need a credit card?

Do they get a copy of your UK credit or do you start again?

Any info greatly recieved!

Thank you
Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking in Spain

Originally Posted by Lookingforthesun1
Having lived for a year in the Netherlands with their very odd (to me as a brit!) banking system how does the spanish banking system work?

Can you use the debit cards in the same way as the UK on Amazon etc or like the NL do you need a credit card?

Do they get a copy of your UK credit or do you start again?

Any info greatly recieved!

Thank you
Yes you can use a debit card on Amazon etc. I think the UK credit is not transferable, you will need to start again with a Spanish bank
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I've used my Sabadell Debit card on Amazon and eBay. I've also (mistakenly) used it in the UK without any problems.

Steve
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish bank account holders are always issued with a debit card as they expect you to use their machines these days rather than queue at a counter. The only problem can be the annual charge with some banks and account types. (Compared to the UK) same with withdrawing cash at the wrong machine.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a resident of Spain you can open an account with Sabadell bank called the "expansion" Account, you will not be charged any banking fees even for any debit card use including use of ATM's
Old Apr 1st 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
If you are a resident of Spain you can open an account with Sabadell bank called the "expansion" Account, you will not be charged any banking fees even for any debit card use including use of ATM's
I might be wrong here but here goes ...... You don't have to be resident to open an expansion account at Sabadell. There, I've said it!

Looking to open one myself when next over in May.