Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A banking question.

A banking question.

Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:13 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default A banking question.

I currently use an Abbey Bank account in England, with an English address (a close relative), and the account services an occupational pension only, and I draw out the money in Spain using my Abbey debit card. I don't want to use online banking, and when I last enquired, Abbey Bank wouldn't allow a Spanish Address to run the account.

My query is, now that Abbey Bank is part of the Banco Santander group, can I transfer my account to Spain and use my 'real' Spanish address, continuing the occupational pension payments from England.

My reasons are as follows: When I use my English debit card in Spain I incur charges. But, more importantly, I get my bank statements sent over from England every six months, and I could do with a better oversight.

Apart from that, I've used this system for years and it works. Tax isn't a problem, it's deducted at source anyway.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:37 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A banking question.

Originally Posted by HBG
I currently use an Abbey Bank account in England, with an English address (a close relative), and the account services an occupational pension only, and I draw out the money in Spain using my Abbey debit card. I don't want to use online banking, and when I last enquired, Abbey Bank wouldn't allow a Spanish Address to run the account.

My query is, now that Abbey Bank is part of the Banco Santander group, can I transfer my account to Spain and use my 'real' Spanish address, continuing the occupational pension payments from England.

My reasons are as follows: When I use my English debit card in Spain I incur charges. But, more importantly, I get my bank statements sent over from England every six months, and I could do with a better oversight.

Apart from that, I've used this system for years and it works. Tax isn't a problem, it's deducted at source anyway.
HSBC has the best international portability on accounts, Open a UK HSBC at same address, then Transfer it to Spain, Credit Info goes with it so its good for people with a good UK Equifax rating because HSBC insert it in to the local system.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:21 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
HSBC has the best international portability on accounts, Open a UK HSBC at same address, then Transfer it to Spain, Credit Info goes with it so its good for people with a good UK Equifax rating because HSBC insert it in to the local system.
I understand what you're saying, and agree, but this is a low-level savings account, and HSBC wouldn't be interested.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG

Hello there. My husband works for Abbey and says unfortunately you can't transfer to banco santander as they are separate companies effectively.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:18 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dessiree
Hello there. My husband works for Abbey and says unfortunately you can't transfer to banco santander as they are separate companies effectively.
Thanks for that, it's what I suspected. My partner opened an account with Barclays SL, and they have no connection with the British Barclays whatsoever. It's the same with Deutsche Bank in Spain, they don't even know where Frankfurt is.

Unfortunately, my 'close relative's address in England is wobbling, Tammy Wynette sang a song about it D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

I suppose I'll have to impose on another close relative.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Having just opened a new account with Santander in Spain, and still having an Abbey account in England, I raised a similar question to my new bank manager. At the moment the companies, and more importantly, computer systems are distinct and separate. However, he assures me that this is being worked on and in the near future, a couple of years, all Santander, Abbey, A&L accounts will be run using the same computer system allowing for complete transferability.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:16 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Having just opened a new account with Santander in Spain, and still having an Abbey account in England, I raised a similar question to my new bank manager. At the moment the companies, and more importantly, computer systems are distinct and separate. However, he assures me that this is being worked on and in the near future, a couple of years, all Santander, Abbey, A&L accounts will be run using the same computer system allowing for complete transferability.
Thanks for that. Looks like I'll have to wait a couple of years.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmm, may take the Spanish a little time on that then. lol
When we changed our bank account from non resident to resident we had to go back to a teller and fill out a withdrawal from the old account and a deposit to the new acount as the computer "doesn`t know who you are".
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:28 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You could try Banca March which has branches in England & Spain. However I use Nationwide for free ATM wthdrawals, and Halifax to move money from England to Spain through the internet
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Banca March has branches in England? I had never heard of them before I moved to Andalucia (There are none in Aragon!!). Having lived in March Cambs I can report there are none there either .

What are they called in the UK?

Last edited by Zaragozaram; Jul 30th 2009 at 9:43 am. Reason: poor spelling
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Banca March has branches in England? I had never heard of them before I moved to Andalucia (There are none in Aragon!!). Having lived in March Cambs I can report there are none there either .

What are they called in the UK?
There is only the one branch in the UK and that is in London and it is stilled called Banca March
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

You could try Banca March which has branches in England & Spain. However I use Nationwide for free ATM wthdrawals, and Halifax to move money from England to Spain through the internet
If you're drawing money from an Abbey Account in England why don't you get a Santander Zero card through Abbey and avoid the charges.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

We are lloyds tsb customers in the UK and are in the process of opening a eurolloyds account which will give us free access etc to our money when we are in Spain.

This may be of use to you. There is more info on the website.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
We are lloyds tsb customers in the UK and are in the process of opening a eurolloyds account which will give us free access etc to our money when we are in Spain.

This may be of use to you. There is more info on the website.
Are you sure it`s free. ;-)
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

There is an account charge but not a lot.

check lloydstsb.es for more info.

I dont know alot as my husband is dealing with this and hes not around at the mo.