Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bank account whilst still in the UK

Bank account whilst still in the UK

Old Jul 9th 2021, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank account whilst still in the UK

Hi there
I need to open a Spanish bank account but I'm still in the UK.
The account needs to be a Euro one as we are arriving there in 4 weeks time, but I need to transfer a lump sum now.
I've looked online and it seems that I need to have the residency in Spain before I can do so.
Does anyone know of a bank that either allows me to open one as is or a bank that will allow me to open one remotely and I can then provide the required documents once I arrive.
we have already secured a property in Spain and even have a rental agreement if that helps. Furthermore we are EU/dual nationality citizens living into the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 3:51 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account whilst still in the UK

Hola
I use a Wise (was Transferwise) credit card but a friend is in the process of transferring over all direct debits onto their Wise account - successfully so far with not many left to do

Davexf
Old Jul 9th 2021, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Wise for transferring money too. Cheap and quick.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
Hi there
The account needs to be a Euro one as we are arriving there in 4 weeks time, but I need to transfer a lump sum now.
I've looked online and it seems that I need to have the residency in Spain before I can do so.
Does anyone know of a bank that either allows me to open one as is or a bank that will allow me to open one remotely and I can then provide the required documents once I arrive.
we have already secured a property in Spain and even have a rental agreement if that helps. Furthermore we are EU/dual nationality citizens living into the UK.
To open a non resident account at any bank will require you present to sign all the paperwork.

I also use Wise to transfer money. You can open an account with them which will have an EU account number.

Steve
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I use Wise - fantastic service and deal.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
I use a Wise (was Transferwise) credit card but a friend is in the process of transferring over all direct debits onto their Wise account - successfully so far with not many left to do

Davexf
Originally Posted by cermignano
I use Wise for transferring money too. Cheap and quick.
Originally Posted by tebo53
To open a non resident account at any bank will require you present to sign all the paperwork.

I also use Wise to transfer money. You can open an account with them which will have an EU account number.

Steve
Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes, I use Wise - fantastic service and deal.
Thanks everyone
Just signed up to wise, it's a bit like currencies direct where you transfer/exchange money from UK sterling to Euros.
I'm after a current account in Spain that gives me a debit card and I can also get bank statements for tax/accountant purposes and set up direct debits, standing orders etc?
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone
Just signed up to wise, it's a bit like currencies direct where you transfer/exchange money from UK sterling to Euros.
I'm after a current account in Spain that gives me a debit card and I can also get bank statements for tax/accountant purposes and set up direct debits, standing orders etc?
As I've stated: to open a non residents account you will need to be present with various documents and to sign paperwork relating to the account.

Steve
Old Jul 9th 2021, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tebo53
As I've stated: to open a non residents account you will need to be present with various documents and to sign paperwork relating to the account.

Steve
👍
Old Jul 9th 2021, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wise does offer a debit card.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Some of the banks will open a Non resident account but it will be limited until you can get to sign the paperwork.
I part opened my one from the Uk but needs to attend the branch before they would issue the debit card.
Although it allowed me to transfer money from the Uk to my account and setup a DDR.
They also insisted I have an NIE (or they couldnt do anything).

You can do the online account (Openbank) but again you need an NIE.

If you are transferring a sum to someone, then why not just use Wise or XE and when you get here open an account?
It only takes about 30mins (we swapped our accounts this week to resident and we were in and out in less than an hour, including a computer malfunction)
We already have our new card numbers and the pin even though the card is not made yet.

One small piece of advice NEVER transfer money from a bank in the UK to your account in Spain, the charges are horrid.
ALWAYS use Wise or XE you wont get any charges from either the Uk bank for sending (HSBC charge £4.50, Santander in Uk charge £16.00 even to a Santander Spain account)
Old Jul 9th 2021, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Barriej
Some of the banks will open a Non resident account but it will be limited until you can get to sign the paperwork.
I part opened my one from the Uk but needs to attend the branch before they would issue the debit card.
Although it allowed me to transfer money from the Uk to my account and setup a DDR.
They also insisted I have an NIE (or they couldnt do anything).

You can do the online account (Openbank) but again you need an NIE.

If you are transferring a sum to someone, then why not just use Wise or XE and when you get here open an account?
It only takes about 30mins (we swapped our accounts this week to resident and we were in and out in less than an hour, including a computer malfunction)
We already have our new card numbers and the pin even though the card is not made yet.

One small piece of advice NEVER transfer money from a bank in the UK to your account in Spain, the charges are horrid.
ALWAYS use Wise or XE you wont get any charges from either the Uk bank for sending (HSBC charge £4.50, Santander in Uk charge £16.00 even to a Santander Spain account)
Thanks really helpful
Just had a look at openbank.
As soon as I get the NIE I'll try to open an account
Old Jul 10th 2021, 7:41 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

You can't open a residents bank account with a NIE alone (white letter), they all want to see either a residency card (for non-EU citizens) or a green residency certificate with a passport (for EU citizens).

As for a non-resident bank account, they all want a passport and a "certificado de no residente" available from the police station or the consulate. Some examples of non-resident bank accounts are here.

To be honest I would just use your Wise account until you're set up with residency in Spain then open an account with a Spanish bank.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DLC
You can't open a residents bank account with a NIE alone (white letter), they all want to see either a residency card (for non-EU citizens) or a green residency certificate with a passport (for EU citizens).

As for a non-resident bank account, they all want a passport and a "certificado de no residente" available from the police station or the consulate. Some examples of non-resident bank accounts are here.

To be honest I would just use your Wise account until you're set up with residency in Spain then open an account with a Spanish bank.

I've already transferred a large amount of money to currencies direct and exchanged it into Euros with them, so it's sitting in their Euro account.
Just wanted to move it into a Spanish account, guess I'll have to wait until I get there in a few weeks time.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC

Not totally correct we opened our non res accounts (me in 2018 the wife in 2019) with NIE, Passport and our NI numbers (including our last P60)
Nothing else was asked for. You have to show a UK address and proof of taxability outside of Spain (NI number).
About 2 months after opening the account I got a form from Santander head office asking me to confirm I was non res, just sign and send back.

Old Jul 23rd 2021, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

When I opened my first non residents account with Sabadell in 2013 I needed money, my passport and a recent UK utility bill, that's all.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.