Bank Account

Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:32 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank Account

It's me again with yet another problem!

I went into the bank today to pay a bill and the girl in there said they needed to change our bank account from one opened on the passport to one opened on the residencia (I suppose she means a non-resident to a resident account,we didn't realise we had the wrong one). We've had this bank account since 2003.

She also mentioned the hacienda. And after that, her English broke down and so did my Span ish! Other than for her to say we would have to 'pay to Spain'.

We have not changed the account yet as there was no time, we are going in Monday morning to do it. But in the meantime, have you any idea what difference it will make, will there be loads of charges and taxes on it? I don't think we've paid any before.

Any help gratefully appreciated!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account

Originally Posted by scampicat

I went into the bank today to pay a bill and the girl in there said they needed to change our bank account from one opened on the passport to one opened on the residencia (I suppose she means a non-resident to a resident account,we didn't realise we had the wrong one). We've had this bank account since 2003.

She also mentioned the hacienda. And after that, her English broke down and so did my Span ish! Other than for her to say we would have to 'pay to Spain'.

We have not changed the account yet as there was no time, we are going in Monday morning to do it. But in the meantime, have you any idea what difference it will make, will there be loads of charges and taxes on it? I don't think we've paid any before.

We just changed ours, no problems, and nothing to pay.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

Going to the hacienda is about registering for tax purposes. From what you have said previously you would probably not be paying any tax so do not let that worry you. A resident account is no different to a 'non-resident' account as far as charges etc but if you have any money as a reserve or investment you often get a higher interest rate on a resident account.

Hope this helps.

Rosemary
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:43 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We just changed ours, no problems, and nothing to pay.
Thanks, let's hope ours is the same then; I had visions of being asked to pay thousands!

Why did she mention the hacienda? Maybe the account has to be changed for tax purposes but does not necessarily mean we have to pay any?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:45 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Going to the hacienda is about registering for tax purposes. From what you have said previously you would probably not be paying any tax so do not let that worry you. A resident account is no different to a 'non-resident' account as far as charges etc but if you have any money as a reserve or investment you often get a higher interest rate on a resident account.

Hope this helps.

Rosemary
Thanks! Doesn't appear to be something else I need to worry about then!