Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bad food brought from Supermarket

Bad food brought from Supermarket

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad food brought from Supermarket

Originally Posted by schhemz
Great info , thanks guys, @ lyn will try this website, I knew something would exist, good to share the knowlage !!
try the hoja de reclamaciones first - although to be honest, if they either give you the money back or replace the goods - albeit with a shrug - you don't need to do that - it's really for if they WON'T replace or refund

it's possible it was a rogue bag - although as you say it was out of date, so shouldn't have been on the shelf in the first place

that's where the website comes in
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:59 am
Just Joined

schhemz will become famous soon enoughschhemz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnxa
try the hoja de reclamaciones first - although to be honest, if they either give you the money back or replace the goods - albeit with a shrug - you don't need to do that - it's really for if they WON'T replace or refund

it's possible it was a rogue bag - although as you say it was out of date, so shouldn't have been on the shelf in the first place

that's where the website comes in
It was in date until December, think maybe it hasnt been kept cool
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Bought some cheese here in the UK, unopened, and in 3 days it was mouldy, well in date, so took it back, it was replaced, no problems, and the assistant did look at it and found a small hole in the packaging, which explained the mould, must have been there a while, refrigeration only SLOWS DOWN mould growth and spoil.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

sorry mis-read...........

we had a problem when we first came here & still bought fresh milk - changed to long-life eventually, & now fresh tastes funny

it seemed that whenever we occasionally bought milk from a certain small 'corner' shop it went off very quickly - they claimed it was our fridge & tbh their fridge was very cold, so I gave up

then one day I saw them stocking up in Mercadona - they transported it in the boot of their car - at least a 20 min drive in 30º++, so I got to thinking that maybe the journey was enough to start the ball rolling as far as turning the milk off

I just stopped buying milk there............
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

sorry mis-read...........

we had a problem when we first came here & still bought fresh milk - changed to long-life eventually, & now fresh tastes funny

it seemed that whenever we occasionally bought milk from a certain small 'corner' shop it went off very quickly - they claimed it was our fridge & tbh their fridge was very cold, so I gave up

then one day I saw them stocking up in Mercadona - they transported it in the boot of their car - at least a 20 min drive in 30º++, so I got to thinking that maybe the journey was enough to start the ball rolling as far as turning the milk off

I just stopped buying milk there............
This bit is the bane of my shopping life. OK I'm all for using the local Covirans and Dia for stuff to support the village and avoid a drive, but when I go further there's nothing less than 35 minutes......... so it's cool boxes, windscreen sun reflector thing on top and a wing and a prayer (aka foot down!)
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by fionamw
This bit is the bane of my shopping life. OK I'm all for using the local Covirans and Dia for stuff to support the village and avoid a drive, but when I go further there's nothing less than 35 minutes......... so it's cool boxes, windscreen sun reflector thing on top and a wing and a prayer (aka foot down!)
my OH has the aircon in the car so flippin cold even ice-cream doesn't melt
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:57 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

my OH has the aircon in the car so flippin cold even ice-cream doesn't melt
We usually drive home from the Mercadonna with a block of ice cream in the back in one of those reflective bags, shop at supersol, and then have a meal on the way home, so the stuff in the boot is there for a while.

The ice cream doesn't melt and we never have problems with mouldy food or food going off.

There will ALWAYS be problems in the selling of food, and it is a tribute to the system in general, that there aren't problems at a much higher level.

That sounds like grated parmesan that went off? Personally I would never buy grated cheese. It has then a huge surface area that has been exposed to the air, and thus mold (even tho I bet the packing area is kept clean).

If I have a block of cheese that gets mould on it, I simply cut off the mouldy surfaces and put it in a clean bag.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
We usually drive home from the Mercadonna with a block of ice cream in the back in one of those reflective bags, shop at supersol, and then have a meal on the way home, so the stuff in the boot is there for a while.

The ice cream doesn't melt and we never have problems with mouldy food or food going off.

Blimey, must be a good reflective bag!
There will ALWAYS be problems in the selling of food, and it is a tribute to the system in general, that there aren't problems at a much higher level.

That sounds like grated parmesan that went off? Personally I would never buy grated cheese. It has then a huge surface area that has been exposed to the air, and thus mold (even tho I bet the packing area is kept clean).

If I have a block of cheese that gets mould on it, I simply cut off the mouldy surfaces and put it in a clean bag.
I was brought up doing this at home, and don't mind that.... but buying it mouldy seems a step too far
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:07 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I was brought up doing this at home, and don't mind that.... but buying it mouldy seems a step too far
Well, mould is something to be careful about, just not to crazy levels.

This is why I don't like buying grated cheese. If you are buying a solid block of cheese, you can inspect all the surfaces.

My advice would always be. Don't buy grated, IMO it's a silly waste of money. Just buy a good grater.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

What nasty chemicals do you think they put on ready grated cheese to stop them going off? Same with anything ready cut or ready made.

With food, always best to buy simple, surely people dont lead such busy lives that they need to buy ready grated cheese and ready cut carrots?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by bil

ah - but this is without a cool bag!!!
Originally Posted by bil

I do the same - just trim it off - after all, what is blue cheese, but cheesen with mouldy bits?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:26 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
What nasty chemicals do you think they put on ready grated cheese to stop them going off? Same with anything ready cut or ready made.

With food, always best to buy simple, surely people dont lead such busy lives that they need to buy ready grated cheese and ready cut carrots?
Yep. My thoughts precisely.

Oh yeah, if there was a hole in the packaging, and the mould entered there, then it would have developed where it could be seen, surely? If it was in the centre, it must surely have entered at, or prior to packaging?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:29 am
bil
Banned

ah - but this is without a cool bag!!!

I do the same - just trim it off - after all, what is blue cheese, but cheesen with mouldy bits?
Yeah. Cheeses sit around for yonks in old caves with mould all over them, so.....

I'd buy a cool bag if I were you. They are pretty good.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:38 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah. Cheeses sit around for yonks in old caves with mould all over them, so.....

I'd buy a cool bag if I were you. They are pretty good.
oh I have several........& more than several of the nice new green shopping bags from Mercadona

do you think they often find their way back into the car
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:41 am
bil
Banned

oh I have several........& more than several of the nice new green shopping bags from Mercadona

do you think they often find their way back into the car
Yeah. That's the trouble. You have to be organised. We store the shopping bags in the boot, so there's no problem. We are still using the old Tesco jute bags. a pound each and good value methinks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.