Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Backwash pool water for garden

Backwash pool water for garden

Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:19 am
Just Joined

tejon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Backwash pool water for garden

I would like to use the water from backwashing the pool for the garden rather than it going to waste.

I know the water is full of stuff like dirt / dust and Chemicals, but I was thinking of getting one of those big square plistic containers (by the way how muh are they ?) and putting the backwash into that.

Maybe after a week the nasty stuff will have settled and I can use the top water or maybe there are tablets to add to neurtalise it, or maybe the plants wont give a damm and I can use it neat ?

Sure this is not a first time idea ??
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:23 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backwash pool water for garden

Originally Posted by tejon
I would like to use the water from backwashing the pool for the garden rather than it going to waste.

I know the water is full of stuff like dirt / dust and Chemicals, but I was thinking of getting one of those big square plistic containers (by the way how muh are they ?) and putting the backwash into that.

Maybe after a week the nasty stuff will have settled and I can use the top water or maybe there are tablets to add to neurtalise it, or maybe the plants wont give a damm and I can use it neat ?

The chlorine will probable kill everything in the garden.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Backwash pool water for garden

Originally Posted by jdr
The chlorine will probable kill everything in the garden.
Someone just posted that they were using backwash water for their lemon trees and they now have no leaves on. Chlorine is a really nasty disinfectant chemical so I wouldn't use it on plants unless they are known to be resistant.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Most people here just empty their pool directly to irrigate the garden - in fact most pools simply run their drain straight into the garden anyway.

If was that full of nasty chemicals and dirt, I don't think you'd really want to be swimming in it would you?!

If you're concerned about the chlorine / pH levels (it's the pH that will probably do more harm), then just leave the pool to stand for a week and nature will soon correct the pH / chlorine for you.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:54 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tejon

Know of somebody that just cut the pool drainage pipe so that it now irrigates part of his garden when he backwashes the pool. The only thing he has got to remember is to reconnect that pipe if he decides to drain the pool
Old Sep 21st 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

In my area (Altea) sometimes, especially after its rained heavily. I think the tap water has extra chlorine added - I have tested the tap water at 3 ppm (part per million) - 3 times the recommended level for a pool! People still use it for watering their garden. As for the Ph if you have your pool at the recommended 7.0 to 7.6 that is just slightly alkaline - the tap water round here has a Ph of about 8.0.

In other words the tap water people use to water their gardens is more likely to damage them than pool water (assuming the pool chemicals are kept approximately correct).
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:38 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

^^^what he said, just check your EC and PH. If PH is to high add some vinegar and if EC is to high then don't use it. I know someone who does this with their pool water.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:32 pm
Poolman

IONman has a spectacular aura aboutIONman has a spectacular aura aboutIONman has a spectacular aura about

The ider of pumping your water into a tank is good so long as it has no cover, the chlorine will soon dissappear and the dirt will settle.
Try and maintain yoiur pool with minimal stabiliser 'Cyanuric Acid' as this locks chlorine in and actually stops it working if the level gets too high.

remember chlorine is actually a gas and other chemicals need to be included to maintain a residual in the pool.

Some people are now changeing to ion/oxydation systems that manufacture a copper residual enabling it to be used on plants without any problems and actually enhances their growth.

Regards, Dave
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

we use our backwash water for the plants and they seem fine, so after doing this for 3 years we decided to try last year on the laawn, we no longer have a lawn
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:46 pm
Poolman

IONman has a spectacular aura aboutIONman has a spectacular aura aboutIONman has a spectacular aura about

Oh dear,
I guess you didn't pump it into a holding take first.

If you pumped it into a holding tank first you could allow the chlorine to dissipate and then it should be OK.

Regards, Dave
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
we use our backwash water for the plants and they seem fine, so after doing this for 3 years we decided to try last year on the laawn, we no longer have a lawn
Same happened to ours, but the cause was two bitch Labs. lol
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by IONman
Oh dear,
I guess you didn't pump it into a holding take first.

If you pumped it into a holding tank first you could allow the chlorine to dissipate and then it should be OK.

Regards, Dave

No we didn't

Originally Posted by jdr
Same happened to ours, but the cause was two bitch Labs. lol
I know the feeling Mal keeps me tied up. but don't reply coz we need to keep on track.

The lawn just did not recover, but then it was such a dry summer it could have been that. With all the rain we just have grren weeds now.

Dave how big a tank are you talking?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by crispy
No we didn't

I know the feeling Mal keeps me tied up. but don't reply coz we need to keep on track.

The lawn just did not recover, but then it was such a dry summer it could have been that. With all the rain we just have grren weeds now.

Dave how big a tank are you talking?
The grass will return to green with the sun, it goes dry and brown with all the rain and dodgy watering. ;-))
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jdr
The grass will return to green with the sun, it goes dry and brown with all the rain and dodgy watering. ;-))
Mal's out in the garden as we speak digging it up, he said enough is enough, I think I am now expect to grow some veg
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:33 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

A pH of 8 to 8.4 wouldn't bother me in the slightest, it usually indicates a high level of the bicarbonate ion HCO3- which is healthy, and good for man and beast. The only plants that wouldn't like that would be those that need very soft water.

Our water is as hard as hell. It's soft water that is supposed to be bad for you, because it is alleged to be linked negatively with health issues.

Plus I think soft water tastes foul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.