Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment

August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment

Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment

Originally Posted by lurchio
I see on the other Forums the 'bitterness' referred to here. I think we as UK people get fixated that 'National Insurance' pays for the NHS, and anyone not contributing is cheating the system. Fast forward to an 'Early retiree' from the UK , living in Spain but not working..... me. I do not pay into the 'system' here BUT was paying my 60 euros a month to my Health Care, which now I could not if I wanted to.
But, and heres a thought if you look into it, the SPANISH NHS is funded primarily by IVA (Yep, VAT) tax on goods and services. Anybody LIVING here contributes in that way, they have to, its charged at source. Shopping, Utilities, Fuel, anything. May make you feel better and possible change a few views.
That’s interesting if I pay through my Spanish IVA (LOTS OF IT new car, big electricity bills, petrol, food etc.) they also get around €3000 p.a. from U.K. since I arrived with my S9 cert from HMRC!
Old Aug 17th 2018, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a Spanish healthcare provider which I know is acceptable for the residencia application as I have used it before for that purpose ( long torturous story best left in the past ). Funny enough I recently contacted the provider to ensure it would renew in October as I intended using it for the purpose of obtaining residencia in October. They confirmed I need do nothing as set up for renewal, however if I wished to cancel in November I could? Struck me that they may well be aware that once resident I could get public health under the new system, they are Andalucia based .
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Hi Ian I take by UK legislation letter you refer to letter saying you are no longer covered by NHS? Certainly great new for people in your position. I think for myself I will stick my plan of obtaining residency asap when I get there in October using private health care that I currently have and once green slip is in my hand look at cancelling my private health care plan etc.
Bob,

Yes indeed. I think You are bang on right. Get feet under table and watch the melee from afar.

The Leglislation letter was the one divorcing us from the UK NHS and emphasising we had no transferable cover as we were under 65.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 12:54 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Promised an update.

Certificated delivery letters received this morning, informing us that we no longer need to pay for our Convenio Especial, as the circumstances if the original grant meet the criteria for the new healthcare regs. (As I suspected, the trigger was the Leglislation letter from the UK)

We will also no longer have to pay 100 per cent of prescription costs either.
Thanks for the update, glad it was positive news (as we expected and hoped for). Been reading the thread on another forum and many are still in denial trying every which way to still put a negative spin on it.....very sad bitter bunch indeed. Oh Kaipa Sexmith whatever you are going by today.....you were "flamed" solely because you were posting multiple posts of total misinformation....as has now been more than adequately established.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thegolfer
Thanks for the update, glad it was positive news (as we expected and hoped for). Been reading the thread on another forum and many are still in denial trying every which way to still put a negative spin on it.....very sad bitter bunch indeed. Oh Kaipa Sexmith whatever you are going by today.....you were "flamed" solely because you were posting multiple posts of total misinformation....as has now been more than adequately established.
I would much rather rely on facts and experience that waste time venting my spleen for whatever reason! Facts have worked against my plans sometimes; and sometimes for them!

Anyway, lots more to come on this Universal Healthcare thing, but I reckon they needed the Convenio sorted quickly to avoid giving big money refunds.

I still love Spain, would not want to be anywhere else in the World now!
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:26 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Read this elsewhere, thought it worth posting as it shows a personal experience of the new system.

------------------------------------------------
17th August 16:43 · Universal Healthcare. Feedback from a member.

“We have just returned from our local health centre having been successfully added to the health system as early retirees.

I thought I would share the steps we took for anyone who is in the same situation as us.

We are early retirees, have had our residency for eighteen months and been paying for private healthcare. We are in Almeria province in Andalucia.

We followed CAB's suggestion and printed off the Convenio Especial application form from their website, filled it out and took that with our copies of the padron, a copy of our passports and a copy of our residency cards.

We presented the documents, were given a further form to fill out to apply for a health card, and that was it. We were told the documents would be forwarded on to the relevant body and our cards would be with us in due course by post. We were given a stamped copy of the health card application form which we were told would be sufficient to see a doctor in the meantime.

Quite a surprised response on our part at the ease of the process.....thank you CAB for working on this so quickly and diligently, it is with your prompting that we thought we might as well give it a go today.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just clarify that to apply for convenio you needed to be resident for 12 months but under the new universal system you can apply as soon as resident and on the padron?
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Read this elsewhere, thought it worth posting as it shows a personal experience of the new system.

“We have just returned from our local health centre having been successfully added to the health system as early retirees.

I thought I would share the steps we took for anyone who is in the same situation as us.

We are early retirees, have had our residency for eighteen months and been paying for private healthcare. We are in Almeria province in Andalucia.

We followed CAB's suggestion and printed off the Convenio Especial application form from their website, filled it out and took that with our copies of the padron, a copy of our passports and a copy of our residency cards.

We presented the documents, were given a further form to fill out to apply for a health card, and that was it. We were told the documents would be forwarded on to the relevant body and our cards would be with us in due course by post. We were given a stamped copy of the health card application form which we were told would be sufficient to see a doctor in the meantime.

Quite a surprised response on our part at the ease of the process.....thank you CAB for working on this so quickly and diligently, it is with your prompting that we thought we might as well give it a go today.
Not sure I understand exactly. Is this different from the existing system? They have been resident for over 12 months . During the time they had private insurance. Now they have applied for CE and will therefore be covered for healthcare. Was it different before?
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Not sure I understand exactly. Is this different from the existing system? They have been resident for over 12 months . During the time they had private insurance. Now they have applied for CE and will therefore be covered for healthcare. Was it different before?
CE doesn't exist in some Communidades now.

I suspect all will be stopping it shortly
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
CE doesn't exist in some Communidades now.

I suspect all will be stopping it shortly
yes I understand that. But does this mean they still have CE in Almeria and these people have beenable to able to access it?Or has something changed? The way it reads doesn't suggest that CE has stopped in this communidad
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:33 am
Banned

Some Communidades will be quicker than others e.g Andalucia in implementing the new decree/health care system and admin proceedures. I suggest you direct your query to the relevant INSS office that affects you. As with most things in Spain every individual case will differ due to personal circumstances. But one thing is for sure CE has been abolished.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

yes I understand that. But does this mean they still have CE in Almeria and these people have beenable to able to access it?Or has something changed? The way it reads doesn't suggest that CE has stopped in this communidad
The way I read it was they had to be resident for 12 months before they could apply for CE, as CE is somewhat less expensive than private health insurance. This was before the new law was passed and so they had private health insurance from when they were resident up quite recently when they applied, and were accepted, into the CE scheme. So yes the inference is that CE is still running in Almeria, IMHO of course.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its totally now free and meds no longer cost 100%.
Keep up!
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, my letter from the horses mouth at Andalucia clearly says that the Convenio Especial ceased to exist on 1st. August and they are in the process of redesigning a new system, meanwhile all current CE holders maintain full cover and can use their cards etc.
UK ex pats who are not covered by transferable health cover (under 65, no S1) and resident are covered for free. As I said before, the kick off for this is the letter from the UK casting us adrift from the NHS. If S1 forms or cover suddenly get withdrawn for the over 65's, I firmly believe those resident's affected could fall back on the Universal cover.

I have no idea as regards applicants, would love to hear some facts on the matter from an under 65 applying for residency.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

UK ex pats who are not covered by transferable health cover (under 65, no S1) and resident are covered for free. As I said before, the kick off for this is the letter from the UK casting us adrift from the NHS. If S1 forms or cover suddenly get withdrawn for the over 65's, I firmly believe those resident's affected could fall back on the Universal cover.

I have no idea as regards applicants, would love to hear some facts on the matter from an under 65 applying for residency.
​​​​​​​Hi Ian thanks for the update. As you know it is my intention to obtain residency towards the end of October, so if any change I will update. However I am of the firm belief it is exactly as you say for residency applicants without an S1 and under 65, private health insurance required to obtain residency but once resident they can sign on to the new system and cancel private.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.