British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/august-refund-convenio-especial-payment-915821/)

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 4:57 pm

Re: August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment

Originally Posted by thegolfer (Post 12546379)
Yes possibly a grey area regarding any new applying residents as of now.....maybe they won't be required to produce "private health cover docs" at some point in the future, only time will tell I guess.

Very probably problem is time to obtain residency pre 29 March is ticking away rapidly which could have consequences. Personally I have private health cover and intend to use it in October to get residency. However it is due to also renew in October do I renew to get residency or not ? My plan is renew treat the system as we know it now and if I can cancel after that and sign on this new system until I can get an S1, in other words plan and prepare for the worst anything else is a bonus.

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 5:00 pm

Why not just sort out residency now?

lurchio Aug 10th 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12546375)
Oh dear, some people simply can't read. I was quoting someone else!

This person had many come to him stating that they had been to the INSS and failed the means test. They were told to go get private health care insurance.

Like you I am sceptical and have asked for details of this test and also asked for clarification in case things had been 'lost in translation'.

I am certainly not a scaremonger-er (as those who know me will agree), I truly hope they give everyone free state health care. In the mean time, we have to wait and see how each comm. deals with the situation

Quoting someone else to somebody else?? That's called HERESAY, and does no good to anyone. Thanks by the way, I can read very well, there was no need to go all 'key board' warrior on me, I find that quite pathetic / gutless in a person. Like I said, I will report back with the FACTS when I receive my letter, in order to assist others .....which heresay and innuendo NEVER do.

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by thegolfer (Post 12546383)
Why not just sort out residency now?

I did obtain residency but revoked it (long and painful storyπŸ˜žπŸ˜‚). I am next in Spain October so that's why it has to wait until then.

lurchio Aug 10th 2018 5:20 pm

I see on the other Forums the 'bitterness' referred to here. I think we as UK people get fixated that 'National Insurance' pays for the NHS, and anyone not contributing is cheating the system. Fast forward to an 'Early retiree' from the UK , living in Spain but not working..... me. I do not pay into the 'system' here BUT was paying my 60 euros a month to my Health Care, which now I could not if I wanted to.
But, and heres a thought if you look into it, the SPANISH NHS is funded primarily by IVA (Yep, VAT) tax on goods and services. Anybody LIVING here contributes in that way, they have to, its charged at source. Shopping, Utilities, Fuel, anything. May make you feel better and possible change a few views.

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 5:23 pm

That's an interesting point re how Spain funds health care, per that interview on radio today they are adamant that Spain can fund this change of policy.

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lurchio (Post 12546390)
I see on the other Forums the 'bitterness' referred to here. I think we as UK people get fixated that 'National Insurance' pays for the NHS, and anyone not contributing is cheating the system. Fast forward to an 'Early retiree' from the UK , living in Spain but not working..... me. I do not pay into the 'system' here BUT was paying my 60 euros a month to my Health Care, which now I could not if I wanted to.
But, and heres a thought if you look into it, the SPANISH NHS is funded primarily by IVA (Yep, VAT) tax on goods and services. Anybody LIVING here contributes in that way, they have to, its charged at source. Shopping, Utilities, Fuel, anything. May make you feel better and possible change a few views.

Spot on

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 6:41 pm

Post #50 is interesting and encouraging (the little gang of green eyed ones on another forum will hyperventilate with fury if they read this :-)

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fo...enio-especial/

lurchio Aug 10th 2018 7:52 pm

Thank you for that. I will update here when I get my letter through. Lots of speculation around, to convert CE to INSS cover should be a paper exercise, they have our Residencia copies, padron copies and the letter from the UK stating as non resident's of the Sceptred Isle, we are out of the system there. We even have Social security and NHS numbers here as a result of the CE process.
But this is Spain, and they love a new law! Will let you know!

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 7:59 pm

Look forward to hearing about your positive outcome, hopefully it will be plain sailing for you

lurchio Aug 10th 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks. That will be a first for our life here , but you never know!!!!

thegolfer Aug 12th 2018 4:41 pm

CAB published this today on their site, it covers quite comprehensibly what they have ascertained so far. Some friends of friends are going to pop in to their INSS office in Granada next week on a different matter but will raise this current issue and see if they can get anymore info. Will post update if they find out anything interesting

​​​​​​https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...-27-2018-faqs/

lurchio Aug 17th 2018 10:22 am

Promised an update.

Certificated delivery letters received this morning, informing us that we no longer need to pay for our Convenio Especial, as the circumstances if the original grant meet the criteria for the new healthcare regs. (As I suspected, the trigger was the Leglislation letter from the UK)

We will also no longer have to pay 100 per cent of prescription costs either.

bobd22 Aug 17th 2018 11:49 am

Hi Ian I take by UK legislation letter you refer to letter saying you are no longer covered by NHS? Certainly great new for people in your position. I think for myself I will stick my plan of obtaining residency asap when I get there in October using private health care that I currently have and once green slip is in my hand look at cancelling my private health care plan etc.

EsuriJohn Aug 17th 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12549865)
Hi Ian I take by UK legislation letter you refer to letter saying you are no longer covered by NHS? Certainly great new for people in your position. I think for myself I will stick my plan of obtaining residency asap when I get there in October using private health care that I currently have and once green slip is in my hand look at cancelling my private health care plan etc.

If it is Spanish insurance I think you will be held to the full year by the company. Even then they make it difficult to leave requiring at least 1 months notice but often 2 months. If it is cover from U.K. again I think it will present difficulties with the INSS requiring at least certified translations of the policy documents. The best course of action may be to rely on the EHIC card initially until you get all your ducks in a row.