British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/august-refund-convenio-especial-payment-915821/)

lurchio Aug 8th 2018 9:41 am

August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment

Hi All,

I have just had a refund in my bank account for our Convenio Especial Health Payment for 1st, August. 2018. Okay, wishful thinking and after all the dispute and 'posturing' on a certain other thread on this Forum, but this has obviously never happened in our 16 months on the Convenio. So I had a dig around, see below:
Disposición transitoria primera. Convenio especial de prestación de asistencia sanitaria.

Los convenios especiales de prestación de asistencia sanitaria suscritos en aplicación de lo dispuesto en el artículo 3.3 de la Ley 16/2003, de 28 de mayo, por aquellas personas que tras la entrada en vigor de este real decreto-ley tengan derecho a recibir la asistencia sanitaria en el territorio español con cargo a fondos públicos, mantendrán su vigencia hasta el último día del mes natural en que entre en vigor este real decreto-ley.

The special agreements for the provision of healthcare signed in application of the provisions of article 3.3 of Law 16/2003, of May 28, by those persons who after the entry into force of this royal decree-law have the right to receive the Health care in Spanish territory charged to public funds, shall remain in effect until the last day of the calendar month in which this royal decree-law comes into force.

The Royal Decree came into force on 27.7.2018..............

So, my question is now to any others on here that are on the Convenio, have you had any refunds of August's payments? I do not expect to receive any letter soon, but if this signals the end of paying for the CE (As I suggested in the other thread) I would have thought that they would not let refunds accumulate for too long.

I did say I would shout if anything changes, but be interested to hear from others on the Convenio where the payment has gone in after 1.8.2018. Should add we are Andalucía and ruled by the same Party as the new Government.

Thanks.

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 7:55 am

Re: August Refund of Convenio Especial Payment

Apparently there is going to be a feature/discussion regarding the recent new Health Decree on Talk Radio Europe this morning Friday 10th Aug at 11.30.

snikpoh Aug 10th 2018 7:57 am

Valencia are still taking direct debits - as in, no refunds from them yet

lurchio Aug 10th 2018 10:30 am

Thank you. Weird, so I also checked this morning with two of my friends who are on the Convenio here in Andalucia. They made a payment of 60 euros on 3rd. August, both been refunded this week.

Cautiously optimistic. Waiting for some form of notification now. (Errrrrrrmmmm)

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 10:37 am

Just listened to that interview on talk radio Europe. It seems that Andalusia have been the quickest to bring in the new legislation and have cancelled the Convenio Especial refundunding payments. Valencia and other regions have not been as quick seemingly. You should at some point in the future get a letter explaining the cancellation.
The interview didn't answer my question has to whether we still need to prove adequate health cover on application for residency especially pertaining to those under 65? I am presuming we do and once properly resident possibly cancel the private insurance? I am going to email my gestor later to see if they have any info.

snikpoh Aug 10th 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12546197)
Just listened to that interview on talk radio Europe. It seems that Andalusia have been the quickest to bring in the new legislation and have cancelled the Convenio Especial refundunding payments. Valencia and other regions have not been as quick seemingly. You should at some point in the future get a letter explaining the cancellation.
The interview didn't answer my question has to whether we still need to prove adequate health cover on application for residency especially pertaining to those under 65? I am presuming we do and once properly resident possibly cancel the private insurance? I am going to email my gestor later to see if they have any info.

Interestingly, for those that have had refunds, they have been told to re-register for health care.

Some (many?) now don't seem to be passing the means test and are having to get private health insurance!!! [endquote]

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12546206)
Interestingly, for those that have had refunds, they have been told to re-register for health care.

Some (many?) now don't seem to be passing the means test and are having to get private health insurance!!! [endquote]

What is this "Means Test" you talk of? Do you have a copy or link to such test?
Two couples I know both have had their refunds and weren't told any such thing when they enquired yesterday at their local INSS office, simply that explanatory paperwork would be sent to them in due course.

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 11:35 am

The interview mentioned that there would be information coming to those refunded. It did say that the current convention may need to be replaced? Presumably currently one can still use that.
They'd said that since 2012 the law has in fact been miss interpreted and that all legal residents should in fact have been covered anyway? It also said that legal teams within government were still looking at the new law so that may be why some areas are holding back but not Andalusia.
​​​​​​They also said that this has no affect on current or future S1 cover for UK citizens as that should continue the same as now.

lurchio Aug 10th 2018 3:32 pm

Here we go again...... scare stories. As has been said, who? Link? Etc etc. Really , some people not passing means testing etc etc, when this has only been enacted for less than two weeks? That's fast tracking, but not Spanish style!!!!!

Tell you what, leave this thread open , and I will update everybody when I get my official letter, how's that.
Meanwhile, let's deal in facts?

Bob, I cannot see how they can cover an immigrant washed up in Algerciras who has no transferable health cover and not an under 65 from the UK who has left the UK and therefore has no access to the NHS there as we all know it is residency based. That is why we had to supply 'legislation letters from the UK, which I personally believe has caused
The latest refund system in the first place!!!
I know I went out on a limb on another post on this subject, but the proof of the pudding etc......

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 3:49 pm

Well said Lurchio. Seems some people are just desperate for it NOT to be beneficial, the level of bitterness on another Forum is quite pathetic. Interesting that no link or any factual info regarding this(fictitious?) means test has been forthcoming after my request.

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 4:01 pm

Ian totally agree re scare stories, there was no mention whatsoever of any means testing in the radio interview. As for not giving health care to a UK non resident ? That wasn't point I was making as they did say those under the radar would now legally be covered however the person interviewed admitted they had no idea how that would work? Probably just turn up at A&E? There is of course a possibility they may treat them then say by the way you are over 90 days make yourself resident? I don't know and don't think anyone does at the minute. My point was do you need to prove health care now to get residency? Again in the interview they didn't know? It may be that you do but once resident can cancel the private health care. I did send you a message a little earlier Ian.

bobd22 Aug 10th 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by thegolfer (Post 12546343)
Well said Lurchio. Seems some people are just desperate for it NOT to be beneficial, the level of bitterness on another Forum is quite pathetic. Interesting that no link or any factual info regarding this(fictitious?) means test has been forthcoming after my request.

Very true, it does seem a win win situation. My only queery now is the residency bit as could be acatch 22 situation where if below state pension age you require to prove private health care but can cancel that when resident and obtain the paperwork for this new system. To that end I am still a little confused.

snikpoh Aug 10th 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by lurchio (Post 12546333)
Here we go again...... scare stories. As has been said, who? Link? Etc etc. Really , some people not passing means testing etc etc, when this has only been enacted for less than two weeks? That's fast tracking, but not Spanish style!!!!!

Tell you what, leave this thread open , and I will update everybody when I get my official letter, how's that.
Meanwhile, let's deal in facts?

Bob, I cannot see how they can cover an immigrant washed up in Algerciras who has no transferable health cover and not an under 65 from the UK who has left the UK and therefore has no access to the NHS there as we all know it is residency based. That is why we had to supply 'legislation letters from the UK, which I personally believe has caused
The latest refund system in the first place!!!
I know I went out on a limb on another post on this subject, but the proof of the pudding etc......

Oh dear, some people simply can't read. I was quoting someone else!

This person had many come to him stating that they had been to the INSS and failed the means test. They were told to go get private health care insurance.

Like you I am sceptical and have asked for details of this test and also asked for clarification in case things had been 'lost in translation'.

I am certainly not a scaremonger-er (as those who know me will agree), I truly hope they give everyone free state health care. In the mean time, we have to wait and see how each comm. deals with the situation

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 4:42 pm

Nah that won't fly.....thats not what you wrote in any way shape or form. As for saying three of us "simply can't read"......just rude

thegolfer Aug 10th 2018 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12546355)
Very true, it does seem a win win situation. My only queery now is the residency bit as could be acatch 22 situation where if below state pension age you require to prove private health care but can cancel that when resident and obtain the paperwork for this new system. To that end I am still a little confused.

Yes possibly a grey area regarding any new applying residents as of now.....maybe they won't be required to produce "private health cover docs" at some point in the future, only time will tell I guess.