Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Attention- Brits moving to Spain

Attention- Brits moving to Spain

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:37 pm
  #1  
Maño-Americano
Thread Starter
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,216
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attention- Brits moving to Spain

After having read hundreds of postings here about British moving to Spain....which inevitably means "Coast", be it Costa Brava, Costa del Sol, Alicante, Benidorm...ad nauseam. Just thought I'd let you in on a secret: Spain also has OTHER cities/areas- and believe it or not, most are not saturated with burned out brits, and the multitude of scum that prey on them.

God- I can think of nothing worse than living in a foreign land surrounded by my countrymen (why move in the 1st place??).

Aragon, Euskadi, Galicia, Asturias, La Rioja, Castilla la Mancha, Extremedura are all beautiful areas, not saturated by ex-pats... and still maintain the flavor of Spain in addition to their own regional nuances (ok, except Euskadi, which has it's own very distinct flavor). I realize that what many if not most want is the beautiful sunny weather and the "juerga" (party/night-life) associated with the coast, but many of these other areas also have great weather, certainly better than the greay,rainy, dismal English weather you all complain about so much.

Just my two cents
ironporer is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:38 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andalucia
Posts: 123
the boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant future
Default

I must admit i never wanted to move to spain.............UNTIL i went to a small village out side Granada.The thought of living on the coast does nothing for me.
Like you say....why move away just to be with english.
just my 2 pence worth
the boudiers is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 4:11 am
  #3  
C.G.D.S
 
sibsie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ireland--->London--->Spain--->Rockport, MA
Posts: 3,353
sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I did Spain for two years. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Whether it's the major cities, the Costas or way inland. And if you think the weather in Spain is great, you obviously haven't "lived" it. And before you bash the Brits that live there, I never hear the locals complaining about the amount of money they bring in, or the amount of money that Spain claws from the EU as a whole.
sibsie is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:25 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andalucia
Posts: 123
the boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant future
Default

Originally posted by sibsie
I did Spain for two years. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Whether it's the major cities, the Costas or way inland. And if you think the weather in Spain is great, you obviously haven't "lived" it. And before you bash the Brits that live there, I never hear the locals complaining about the amount of money they bring in, or the amount of money that Spain claws from the EU as a whole.


Hey i am not knocking ANYONE and yes i have been to spain when it is cold in actual fact the area i have picked is about 40 mins from the sierra nevada's.
I am just saying that i spent a few days in a small village,then after that we went to the coast for the day and seeing all the hotels wasn't for me.Every one is different,if we were all the same how boring would that be!!
Yes i do want to live in spain hot or cold,wet or dry.Simple as that.And yes i want to meet spanish people as well as english out there,dutch german whatever.

So there
the boudiers is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 9:41 pm
  #5  
Maño-Americano
Thread Starter
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,216
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by sibsie
I did Spain for two years. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Whether it's the major cities, the Costas or way inland. And if you think the weather in Spain is great, you obviously haven't "lived" it. And before you bash the Brits that live there, I never hear the locals complaining about the amount of money they bring in, or the amount of money that Spain claws from the EU as a whole.

No bashing intended at all Sibs; sorry if I gave that impression. I do get the impression though that many Brits go there on holiday, then after having a great time, they try to parlay that into a lifestyle.

I also lived in Spain for almost 6 years, and loved the people, food and almost everything else. Much of my time was in villages, or in Zaragoza (Aragon) not the coast.
ironporer is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 9:50 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
XXPEBXX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Lancashire England & Guardamar Spain
Posts: 42
XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future
Default

I'm sure that there are plenty of places in Spain that deserve a visit. I hope to visit Castille /Madrid shortly

The majority of European owners however choose the coast because of nearness to airports with regular and cheap connections to their homeland. Even on the coast one can still appreciate the Spanish Culture of fiesta & siesta

We chose a holiday flat near the coast and not far from the airport- in a town that was still essentially very Spanish ( not an 'English estate' ) because we wanted to experience the Spanish way of life. The majority of the residents in our block are Spanish - however a good percentage we assume are from Madrid and are never seen. Of the others ( who are out at work all day ) apart from greeting HOLA when we see them on the stairs we never speak to because even after learning Spanish for 2 years our level of conversation is pretty limited . Plus I think the Spanish can be very private people and not really want to be bothered with people struggling in 'pidgin' Spanish. This leaves us talking only with fellow English speakers.

Many older people who find it difficult to learn a language would feel isolated in a totally Spanish area. They have a community they can rely on in their European ghetto. . For the young it is different - they can work and meet people of all nationalities.

Should we retire full time to Spain (having spent time in the centre of a town) I think we would buy a place on a European/English estate for the reasons stated !

Rising prices in holiday areas are a problem for locals in any part of the world ( Devon, Yorkshire Dales etc ) - in Spain they are caused just as much by Spaniards with 2nd homes..

That will do for now ...

XXPEBXX is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 10:21 pm
  #7  
C.G.D.S
 
sibsie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ireland--->London--->Spain--->Rockport, MA
Posts: 3,353
sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by ironporer
No bashing intended at all Sibs; sorry if I gave that impression. I do get the impression though that many Brits go there on holiday, then after having a great time, they try to parlay that into a lifestyle.
No prob. I lived in a small village which was very Spanish and very Valenciano. They were very xenophobic which is something I found across Spain. The Spanish didn't seem to mix at all with outsiders. My niece goes to a Spanish school and is fluent in Spanish and Valenciano. None of the other mothers talk to my sister and she feels very much like an outsider, and that's after two years there.

I also lived in France and found the French far more accepting and welcoming.
sibsie is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2004, 4:16 am
  #8  
Maño-Americano
Thread Starter
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,216
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by sibsie
No prob. I lived in a small village which was very Spanish and very Valenciano. They were very xenophobic which is something I found across Spain. The Spanish didn't seem to mix at all with outsiders. My niece goes to a Spanish school and is fluent in Spanish and Valenciano. None of the other mothers talk to my sister and she feels very much like an outsider, and that's after two years there.

I also lived in France and found the French far more accepting and welcoming.
Odd... I always found them to be very welcoming, perhaps even curious about me. I did /do speak Spanish and perhaps am a bit extroverted. My kids from my 1st marriage went to Spanish schools, and they found the same thing- even tho they were blonde/blue and obviously Foreign.
I have always heard about how bif of assholes Valencians are from everyone I knew in Spain.
Maybe the difference is that- Aragon vs Valencia
ironporer is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2004, 4:30 am
  #9  
C.G.D.S
 
sibsie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ireland--->London--->Spain--->Rockport, MA
Posts: 3,353
sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Could well be the Valenciano thing. They are very proud of their region and when they know you're foreign (I'm blue eyed blonde) they revert to speaking it. My Spanish was pretty good and more than enough to communicate but they did make it very hard work. I've heard the same thing from friends in the Catalan region.
sibsie is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:58 am
  #10  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by XXPEBXX
I'm sure that there are plenty of places in Spain that deserve a visit. I hope to visit Castille /Madrid shortly

The majority of European owners however choose the coast because of nearness to airports with regular and cheap connections to their homeland. Even on the coast one can still appreciate the Spanish Culture of fiesta & siesta

We chose a holiday flat near the coast and not far from the airport- in a town that was still essentially very Spanish ( not an 'English estate' ) because we wanted to experience the Spanish way of life. The majority of the residents in our block are Spanish - however a good percentage we assume are from Madrid and are never seen. Of the others ( who are out at work all day ) apart from greeting HOLA when we see them on the stairs we never speak to because even after learning Spanish for 2 years our level of conversation is pretty limited . Plus I think the Spanish can be very private people and not really want to be bothered with people struggling in 'pidgin' Spanish. This leaves us talking only with fellow English speakers.

Many older people who find it difficult to learn a language would feel isolated in a totally Spanish area. They have a community they can rely on in their European ghetto. . For the young it is different - they can work and meet people of all nationalities.

Should we retire full time to Spain (having spent time in the centre of a town) I think we would buy a place on a European/English estate for the reasons stated !

Rising prices in holiday areas are a problem for locals in any part of the world ( Devon, Yorkshire Dales etc ) - in Spain they are caused just as much by Spaniards with 2nd homes..

That will do for now ...

I disagree with the language bit.....
I have never been blanked trying to speak my limited Spanish to a Spaniard, it fact totally the opposite, i have often had a good laugh with them talking a bit of English and me with my bit of Spanish.

Follow your teachers advise at school and try harder :lecture:

jdr is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:15 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I am with you on that Jdr, I have found the Spanish very friendly, I live in a small spanish community and my neigbours who dont speak any English (if they do I havent found out yet, lol) and they have invited me over for sunday lunch frequently with me speaking my pidgin. Most I have found if you start of f in Spanish even poor, they will meet you half way, the best fun Ive had is going to a Spanish hairdressers and had 20 people around all speaking bits of English, always a surprise what my hair is going to look like when I leave So far no paper bags....LOL.



Originally posted by jdr
I disagree with the language bit.....
I have never been blanked trying to speak my limited Spanish to a Spaniard, it fact totally the opposite, i have often had a good laugh with them talking a bit of English and me with my bit of Spanish.

Follow your teachers advise at school and try harder :lecture:

Mercedes is offline  
Old May 2nd 2004, 12:07 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
pathfinder's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Jerez de la Frontera Spain
Posts: 34
pathfinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attention- Brits moving to Spain

We are a company which specialises in all relocation needs. We are based in Jerez de la Frontera, Cadiz and have wide experience in the area. Those of you looking to relocate to andalucia will find our services of interest. The website includes lots of useful information like a step by step guide to buying property, local festivals, etc

www.relocatingtoandalucia.com

Hope this of use
All the best
Danny




Originally posted by ironporer
After having read hundreds of postings here about British moving to Spain....which inevitably means "Coast", be it Costa Brava, Costa del Sol, Alicante, Benidorm...ad nauseam. Just thought I'd let you in on a secret: Spain also has OTHER cities/areas- and believe it or not, most are not saturated with burned out brits, and the multitude of scum that prey on them.

God- I can think of nothing worse than living in a foreign land surrounded by my countrymen (why move in the 1st place??).

Aragon, Euskadi, Galicia, Asturias, La Rioja, Castilla la Mancha, Extremedura are all beautiful areas, not saturated by ex-pats... and still maintain the flavor of Spain in addition to their own regional nuances (ok, except Euskadi, which has it's own very distinct flavor). I realize that what many if not most want is the beautiful sunny weather and the "juerga" (party/night-life) associated with the coast, but many of these other areas also have great weather, certainly better than the greay,rainy, dismal English weather you all complain about so much.

Just my two cents
pathfinder is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.