Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Astra 2D and Size of dish needed for Ciudiad Quesada

Astra 2D and Size of dish needed for Ciudiad Quesada

Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

vamos_mi_sevilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Astra 2D and Size of dish needed for Ciudiad Quesada

Ok, I am just about to move in on Monday and there is no Sky TV, I have a old style sky+ box, I have been told various things about the size of dish I will need for Astra D, (1.8Mtr is reccomended - but might not be enough) can anybody here confirm exactly what size I will need.

I guess generally anybody in Torre, ~Guadamar, Rojales or even alicante area would be able to advise me here with what you have ?

many thanks in advance
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Astra 2D and Size of dish needed for Ciudiad Quesada

I have a 1.8 and that does us more or less (for SKY). Any bigger and the house would lift off in high winds

We lose BBC1 & ITV later in the evening depending on the weather

Have a search on here for sat reception we've covered it before
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:30 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Mi Casa is not far from there, up by La Finca. I had a chap round earlier in the year to look over our system. He advised that a 2.4m dish or larger was required.
As I do not fancy something that big on my roof or in my garden, I declined.
I have an 80cm dish which will pick up BBC News 24 and Channel 5's' "five US" and Sky sports 3, I think its 3 anyway..
I'm happy with that as it is only a holiday home at present.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:33 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
Ok, I am just about to move in on Monday and there is no Sky TV, I have a old style sky+ box, I have been told various things about the size of dish I will need for Astra D, (1.8Mtr is reccomended - but might not be enough) can anybody here confirm exactly what size I will need.

I guess generally anybody in Torre, ~Guadamar, Rojales or even alicante area would be able to advise me here with what you have ?

many thanks in advance
although not in your area, i think a 1,8m would be be sufficient. but the best thing is to go hunting aorund the neighbours - see how smaller or bigger dishes perform - channel 4 around countdown time is a tricky one to get, and obviously bbc2 and bbc1 during the evening. they will also be able to provide you with recommendations rather than picking an installers from the paper!

keep and try your sky+ box before you buy another one here in spain - you may find it performs better than one that an installer sells you! i have known installers take a perfectly good digibox (pace 2600) from a couple and selling them an inferior model (430N)!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:34 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
I have an 80cm dish which will pick up BBC News 24 and Channel 5's' "five US" and Sky sports 3, I think its 3 anyway.
i hope that you mean sky three, and not sky sports 3, otherwise you have a very special FTV card!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
although not in your area, i think a 1,8m would be be sufficient. but the best thing is to go hunting aorund the neighbours - see how smaller or bigger dishes perform - channel 4 around countdown time is a tricky one to get, and obviously bbc2 and bbc1 during the evening. they will also be able to provide you with recommendations rather than picking an installers from the paper!

keep and try your sky+ box before you buy another one here in spain - you may find it performs better than one that an installer sells you! i have known installers take a perfectly good digibox (pace 2600) from a couple and selling them an inferior model (430N)!
Hi

Thanks for the informative posts, I have no intentions of getting somebody to install it, im pretty confident of doing that myself, I did have my own business unit premisies at the UK and fitted my own dish up there, this is a bit more complicated but I should be competent enough.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
Hi

Thanks for the informative posts, I have no intentions of getting somebody to install it, im pretty confident of doing that myself, I did have my own business unit premisies at the UK and fitted my own dish up there, this is a bit more complicated but I should be competent enough.
small dishes are a little bit easier to install than a biggie!

make sure that any dish is secure - big dishes ideally need to be on the floor (bolted into concrete), or fixed securely to a wall, preferably in an area not affected by the wind.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

We have a lot of strong high winds here in Quesada, especially if you're up the top like me.

We had a 1.8 mtr dish bolted to the wall for 3 years. Last year we moved it onto a lump of concrete onto the solarium and bolted it down. The next strong wind blew it down onto it's face and buckled it beyond repair. We admitted defeat after 3 years of No BBC 2 and most uk terrestrial programmes pixilating after 9pm.

Now we have a rebroadcast system with an 80mtr dish from a local supplier. Got the basic package, with all terrestrial channels except CH 5, and all the sky channels (except sport , my choice).

If you want to be able to see programmes without any problems you really need a 2.4mtr dish here.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
We have a lot of strong high winds here in Quesada, especially if you're up the top like me.

We had a 1.8 mtr dish bolted to the wall for 3 years. Last year we moved it onto a lump of concrete onto the solarium and bolted it down. The next strong wind blew it down onto it's face and buckled it beyond repair. We admitted defeat after 3 years of No BBC 2 and most uk terrestrial programmes pixilating after 9pm.

Now we have a rebroadcast system with an 80mtr dish from a local supplier. Got the basic package, with all terrestrial channels except CH 5, and all the sky channels (except sport , my choice).

If you want to be able to see programmes without any problems you really need a 2.4mtr dish here.
Avienda Costa Azul, very busy road, but the house is up some 50+ steps so should be able to place it out of wind ok, the ghastly sight of it (the dish) is the last of my worries, lol
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

Avenida Costa Azul is the next road to mine, so welcome to Quesada, hope everything goes well for you on Monday!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

It is not just the size of the dish that is important but the quality and fact that it is not bent or otherwise misshapen. A dish that is not a perfect parabola can lose a lot of the available signal. A 1,8 Channel Master, for example, will deliver far better results than a larger dish of inferior quality but will probably cost two or three times the price. The quality and noise figure of the LNB and the sensitivity of the tuner of the satellite receiver are equally important.

Exact alignment of the dish and skew of the LNB are also important and this can only be achieved with a proper spectrum analyser rather than just relying on the signal strength and quality shown on the receiver.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
It is not just the size of the dish that is important but the quality and fact that it is not bent or otherwise misshapen. A dish that is not a perfect parabola can lose a lot of the available signal. A 1,8 Channel Master, for example, will deliver far better results than a larger dish of inferior quality but will probably cost two or three times the price. The quality and noise figure of the LNB and the sensitivity of the tuner of the satellite receiver are equally important.

Exact alignment of the dish and skew of the LNB are also important and this can only be achieved with a proper spectrum analyser rather than just relying on the signal strength and quality shown on the receiver.
What is the diff between pedalized and solid ??
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
A petallised dish is a great way to cook paella, or perhaps a nice big tortilla.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by andyrich666
the fortecstar 2.4 petalised dish is made up of 6 sections that you bolt together to make up the dish. these must be done absolutly perfectly. but even then one installer says that he cost of these dishes (about 300euros) relects the poor quality of them - he says they perform about as good as a 1.4m dish (which having seen a few i can agree with!)

a solid dish is manufactured by being pressed aluminium, and is one piece - this is how the portuguese dishes are made. some other dishes are made by welding two halves together, which in most cases i have seen is not perfectly done!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
the fortecstar 2.4 petalised dish is made up of 6 sections that you bolt together to make up the dish. these must be done absolutly perfectly. but even then one installer says that he cost of these dishes (about 300euros) relects the poor quality of them - he says they perform about as good as a 1.4m dish (which having seen a few i can agree with!)

a solid dish is manufactured by being pressed aluminium, and is one piece - this is how the portuguese dishes are made. some other dishes are made by welding two halves together, which in most cases i have seen is not perfectly done!
ok, I can see from the pictures of a fotecstar 1.8m how its done, 6 pieces are joined up so do you advise not to use these kind of dishes (the petalised ones) ??

Are large 1.8m+ Solid Dishes expensive to buy in Spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.