Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Arrogance or what!

Arrogance or what!

Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:13 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arrogance or what!

Came home this lunchtime with a friend, she parked her car in front of our house (we live in a cul de sac) and when she got in her car to leave another car pulled in behind her at the entrance to the cul de sac, driver got out, engine running and walked to the house 2 doors down. We told him our friend was just leaving, she was on her way to collect her children from school. What did he do.......smiled and said he wouldn't be long......she was already in the drivers seat when he pulled in behind her! 10 mins later he finally finished loading empty plastic water bottles into his car and then got in his car and drove off without an apology, smile, kiss my..... nothing! I just couldn't could you!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:23 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrogance or what!

If he was Spanish I wouldn´t be surprised at all. A couple of weeks ago there was a delivery van parked outside my house, with my new freezer. I heard all this beeping of horns and when I went outside it was my immediate neighbour and one who lives two doors away. It was obvious that I was having a delivery and when I went out and gently chastised them, they were all smiles. So, yes I can believe it. It´s not arrogance, I guess that´s just the way it is.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:28 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
If he was Spanish I wouldn´t be surprised at all. A couple of weeks ago there was a delivery van parked outside my house, with my new freezer. I heard all this beeping of horns and when I went outside it was my immediate neighbour and one who lives two doors away. It was obvious that I was having a delivery and when I went out and gently chastised them, they were all smiles. So, yes I can believe it. It´s not arrogance, I guess that´s just the way it is.
Yes he was Spanish. I know it's their way and I honestly believe they don't even think, they just do it. Still amounts to a form of arrogance though....and bloomin annoying. Try doing the same to them though.....then they have a different attitude.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:38 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think it´s down to the upbringing. If you are told,from a very early age, as most Spanish children are, that they are the best thing since sliced bread, and the best person in the world, then it´s going to breed a certain amount of arrogance, but it´s mostly not malicious. You only have to look at the way people walk on the streets,here in Spain, with their heads held high and their hips swaying, as though they are the most important person around. Personally I find that quite easy to accept, although annoying to deal with. I think we should draw comparisons to some cultures, not least the UK, where children are, at best, ignored by their parents, castigated and told they are worthless.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:42 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by jjh
Personally, I think it´s down to the upbringing. If you are told,from a very early age, as most Spanish children are, that they are the best thing since sliced bread, and the best person in the world, then it´s going to breed a certain amount of arrogance, but it´s mostly not malicious. You only have to look at the way people walk on the streets,here in Spain, with their heads held high and their hips swaying, as though they are the most important person around. Personally I find that quite easy to accept, although annoying to deal with. I think we should draw comparisons to some cultures, not least the UK, where children are, at best, ignored by their parents, castigated and told they are worthless.
I suppose the children throwing empty crisp packets and pop cans in the street right beside a litter bin is part of the upbringing too
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
I suppose the children throwing empty crisp packets and pop cans in the street right beside a litter bin is part of the upbringing too
I get really annoyed by all the kids in the UK who seem to think it's compulsory to put their feet on seats on public transport. Of course if you say something all hell breaks loose; in todays knife-carrying society it can be very dangerous.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:59 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

Lionda, I don´t think we are ever going to agree on this, not on line anyway, because it´s really difficult to have a conversation. I know that what you are saying above is totally right, but I think it goes beyond what we have been talking about. People´s attitude to society is something that we cannot really understand. I was only replying to your initial post about arrogance. I don´t think that we can equate the lack of personal propriety in the same way. Litter bugging goes on all over and it´s not arrogance, in my opinion, it´s just a total disregard for any of, what I would call, respect for society. I was brought up in an era where you didn´t litter pavements, answer back to your elders, or evern speak if you weren´t spoken to. Although it didn´t do me any harm, things change.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

You back in UK Li?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Arrogance or what!

Came home this lunchtime with a friend, she parked her car in front of our house (we live in a cul de sac) and when she got in her car to leave another car pulled in behind her at the entrance to the cul de sac, driver got out, engine running and walked to the house 2 doors down. We told him our friend was just leaving, she was on her way to collect her children from school. What did he do.......smiled and said he wouldn't be long......she was already in the drivers seat when he pulled in behind her! 10 mins later he finally finished loading empty plastic water bottles into his car and then got in his car and drove off without an apology, smile, kiss my..... nothing! I just couldn't could you!
You get that everywhere. We were once stopped on the way to a fire by a milkman who refused to move his milk float until he had finished making his delivery.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genegenie
You get that everywhere. We were once stopped on the way to a fire by a milkman who refused to move his milk float until he had finished making his delivery.
He would of got pushed out the way here. lol
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Arrogance or what!

Originally Posted by jdr
He would of got pushed out the way here. lol
He would have done here had we had somewhere to push him to.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

So he wasn`t `Ernie, the fastest milkman in the North West` then??

Was this when you were in GM Fire or Yorks Fire??

Last edited by DebsyW; Dec 21st 2008 at 7:12 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:35 pm
Popping in for a chat

Was that in Bacup by any chance
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Was that in Bacup by any chance
Isn`t that where they sleep with their cousins and marry their sisters?? .....Or is that Wigan.......?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Isn`t that where they sleep with their cousins and marry their sisters?? .....Or is that Wigan.......?
No, no, no, thats THE NORTH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.