Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

argh boiler help!!!!

argh boiler help!!!!

Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: argh boiler help!!!!

Originally Posted by digdug
right at the bottom (you dont actually need to even take the cover off).
on my model, theres a black plastic arm about 3" long connected to the bottom of the metal unit. on the bottom of this are is a wee round cover, just pop it off, and theres a push-in switch, using a screwdrier. hey presto!!hope this helps.
So what caused this tripswitch to go off ?
Is the other end joined to a fume sensor on the flue ?
As bil said in above post.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
So what caused this tripswitch to go off ?
Is the other end joined to a fume sensor on the flue ?
As bil said in above post.
i actually dont know what caused it, i do know that when the last bottle was running out, there was an un-normal extra heat out of the kitchen tap (hence how i knew it was about to go) once the bottle was replaced, no life in the old girl.
i have no idea if theres a fume sensor on the flue, but we did get it serviced by a repsol engineer, and he ran it for about 15minutes and said there was no fume problem, and boy, was there some fumes then! (the boiler is in our garage under the house). although you get a certificate for 5 years, that was some 2 1/2 yrs ago, so maybe its time to get someone out to service it just in case......
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digdug
i actually dont know what caused it, i do know that when the last bottle was running out, there was an un-normal extra heat out of the kitchen tap (hence how i knew it was about to go) once the bottle was replaced, no life in the old girl.
i have no idea if theres a fume sensor on the flue, but we did get it serviced by a repsol engineer, and he ran it for about 15minutes and said there was no fume problem, and boy, was there some fumes then! (the boiler is in our garage under the house). although you get a certificate for 5 years, that was some 2 1/2 yrs ago, so maybe its time to get someone out to service it just in case......
It certainly won`t hurt to get it checked out, i was in the trade all my working life and I can confirm if GORGI came to Spain every boiler I have seen would be condemned.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:03 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I got my CORGI a couple of years back, but let it lapse.

As you say, I'd condemn most of the stuff I saw without hesitation.

Ideally, every year service, but whether you do that or not, learn what a good flame picture looks like, and if you get a yellow flame, start to investigate. ESPECIALLY if anything causes fumes to be released into the living space.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Chepas is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have the same boiler and used to have the same problem. Mine was water pressuse. Turn off and on the water stop tap located by the boiler, it may fire up. You will need to get a plumber anyway but might be a temp quick fix. Good Luck
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

tarn is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: argh boiler help!!!!

Originally Posted by bil
Monoxide is a real danger.
Now you say it, Carbon Monoxide detectors from the British Gas online shops are dirt-cheap and definitely worth their price.

We Spaniards either don't care or have it really difficult to find anything that is both unexpensive and certified.

In any case don't go for less than a piercing-sound alarm, be sure to err on the side of too much ventilation and immediately open windows and stop using any gas appliance if the flame turns orange instead of blue (this could be either a dirty burner or monoxide building up)

You won't see fumes with Monoxide. You won't suffocate. It just puts to sleep for a long while
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

The small detectors that change colour, aren't that good, I reckon. They take a really high level to change noticeably.

Low level poisoning is hard to detect, but has serious effects too.

Also, where do you stick the detectors?

CO (monoxide) is technically lighter than air, so you would think that a high position is best, but since it comes out mixed with CO2, which is heavier than air, the mixture falls.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

tarn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bil
The small detectors that change colour, aren't that good, I reckon. They take a really high level to change noticeably.

Low level poisoning is hard to detect, but has serious effects too.

Also, where do you stick the detectors?

CO (monoxide) is technically lighter than air, so you would think that a high position is best, but since it comes out mixed with CO2, which is heavier than air, the mixture falls.
Colour detectors are maybe OK for kitchens, but alarms are unexpensive, will wake anybody up and will deal with levels both high and low but dangerously sustained.

Would place them between the appliance and the sleeping rooms. Out of any sleeping room but at a hearing distance. Close to the appliance, if possible.

CO2 and CO mix but won't bind. In any case slow-moving, low-lying CO2 would draw CO upwards, but the effect is usually deemed irrelevant so the CO diffuses to mix with all the air volume.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:40 pm
bil
Banned

Given the weights of atmosphere and CO/CO2 are similar, simple diffusion would take some time, unless there were thermal effects?

It's a fairly confusing area.

A good audio alarm is definitely good, I'd probably fit them high and low to be safe.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by bil
Given the weights of atmosphere and CO/CO2 are similar, simple diffusion would take some time, unless there were thermal effects?

It's a fairly confusing area.

A good audio alarm is definitely good, I'd probably fit them high and low to be safe.
I can remember Ascot water heaters being vented to just into the roof space.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

hi
well, thanks for all the advice. been away the weekend, and on returning to the house, there seems to be no probs with the boiler, firing up no probs, BUT i'm taking all on board and getting it serviced. as i know nothing about these heaters, and the permanent risk to health..... its the only safe bet.ours is in the garage below the house, and there is no kind of alarm, so i think it may be a must-do to get something.
thanks all