Reload this Page >

Approximate Cost of Removals from UK to Northern Spain

Approximate Cost of Removals from UK to Northern Spain

Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

moongazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Approximate Cost of Removals from UK to Northern Spain

Hi everyone,

We are just trying to work out our budget for relocating to Northern Spain (Galicia) and wondered if anyone out there may be able to give us an idea about approximate removal costs from the UK please? We are a couple with a 3 bedroom house (not minimalist!). Any information would be gratefully received. We will of course be looking at quotes nearer the time but thought it would be sensible to understand possible costs in the planning stage.

Many thanks in advance
Moongazer
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice
Default Re: Approximate Cost of Removals from UK to Northern Spain

Cost us about 2k (half lorry load) when we went from Cambridgeshire to Zaragoza in 2006
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:55 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

From contacts we have made in Galicia I would say most who moved from the UK done it themselves. It seems that removal companies do not service Galicia on a regular basis. Maybe you can find a lorry that has to go onto to Portugal for a return load to the U.K. Also Galicia is huge so you may find prices will vary with where you are moving too.
We moved too long ago and not from the UK so our costs would not be of help.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

We moved to Catalonia almost exactly 3 years ago but from the far north of Scotland and paid Pickfords just under £6 K for quite a large load.

I know someone who has just been quoted £5K from the Midlands to Murcia also by Pickfords but managed to cut that down by reducing the load. They won't be moving for a while as they haven't even sold their house yet. Even so Pickfords were happy to visit their home and give them a quote without any obligation. So you could try that to get a rough idea and, like them cut down what you are bringing if it seems too expensive.

We used Pickfords because they were the only firm who would come to where we were in Scotland. When they brought our load they had another part load with it and were collecting from somewhere further south to go back to the UK. All of which helps keep the costs down.

You can also get online quotes from some companies just by filling in a standard form which would also give you a rough idea.

Happy moving.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Hi, our costs wouldn't be comparable to yours as we were minimalist and only had a smallish part load when we moved.

You could look at this list and contact a few of them for quotes.

http://madrid.angloinfo.com/search/a...p?q=remova&r1=

As furniture and white goods are more expensive here I would bring what you can and replace anything that you might be thinking of getting in the next year or two - however, (at the risk of stating the obvious) be careful that what you bring will fit into wherever you are going to live. Rooms and access here can be smaller than in the UK. No point bringing the kingsize bed or family heirloom triple wardrobe if you can't get it into the lift or up the stairs.

Good luck with the move.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moongazer
Hi everyone,

We are just trying to work out our budget for relocating to Northern Spain (Galicia) and wondered if anyone out there may be able to give us an idea about approximate removal costs from the UK please? We are a couple with a 3 bedroom house (not minimalist!). Any information would be gratefully received. We will of course be looking at quotes nearer the time but thought it would be sensible to understand possible costs in the planning stage.

Many thanks in advance
Moongazer
We went to southern Spain with Britannia from North of England. Cost us 3000. We had a 3 bedroom house but left most of that behind to move business stuff. Also saved money by dismantling some of our ikea furniture and packing it into 3 of their storage boxes/trailers. Took 2 or 3 weeks about doing this. They charged by volume rather than weight so we did save significantly as my business stuff was mostly smallish but heavy. We did lose some ladders, a rug and a large ceramic planter in the process, because they offloaded and reloaded at least once on the journey and the goods actually turned up in a private removals lorry.
But I guess you'd be talking around 3 thousand for a 3 bed house. Maybe a little less being further South....and North so to speak.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

moongazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for all your replies, its really helpful to know we are budgeting the right sort of cost for the removals. Its also useful to know about the possibility of quotes, even much in advance of our move.

Thanks again
Moongazer
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moongazer
Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance
Moongazer
If I remember correctly it cost us £2,200 and that was from a five bedroom house. We had no problems getting quotes for the move to Galicia. They turned up in a removal lorry with a huge trailer on the back. After they dropped our gear off they were then driving onto Southern Spain - therefore you will have no problem finding a removal company.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Wow - Some large figures quoted here!

I have used 3 different removers between Central UK and Southern Spain. I have never paid more than £1250.

Try Grant of Buckie who have no problem coming from the very north of Scotland or Cole Transport (Think they are in Northants)

Ours was a 4 bed around 26 m3
Old Nov 20th 2010, 12:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campolife

I have used 3 different removers between Central UK and Southern Spain. I have never paid more than £1250.

Try Grant of Buckie who have no problem coming from the very north of Scotland or Cole Transport (Think they are in Northants)

Ours was a 4 bed around 26 m3
That is ridiculously cheap for sure, especially for 26 cbm .... which is an very low amount of cube for a 4 bed house as well!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by campolife
I have used 3 different removers between Central UK and Southern Spain. I have never paid more than £1250. Ours was a 4 bed around 26 m3

26m2 is not a lot of stuff.

1250 GBPounds is not worth any firms time, diesel, ferry tickets etc.

All companies offer a free estimation service, logically they should be the ones to ask for estimates.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
26m2 is not a lot of stuff.

1250 GBPounds is not worth any firms time, diesel, ferry tickets etc.
Well if the man is telling us he has moved 3 times and never paid more than £1250, it clearly is worth it. It's probably a part load anyway, but if he says that's the most he has paid, I believe him.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Well if the man is telling us he has moved 3 times and never paid more than £1250, it clearly is worth it. It's probably a part load anyway, but if he says that's the most he has paid, I believe him.
Its unlikely anyone would make that up .... what I would say, having spent my life in the freight and parcels business, is that it is an unusually low amount of money for 26 cbm of cargo. For collection, delivery and shipment depot / depot knowing the trouble that personal effects can cause, I would not have taken 26 cbm on from central UK to the South of Spain.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Seriously it is true. I was amazed back in 2004 that some quotes came in at £3500 to £6000. Then I saw some info on THIS SITE.

Followed it up and had 3 companies vying for the business. 2 of them were part loads but the one I chose then was £1095 dedicated load inc some storage on the UK side.

True 26m3 is not massive but we collapsed everything we could and filled every corner of furniture and equipment. Good job they didn't charge by weight.

Last moved that amount last March inc storage both ends and a delivery at a time of my liking. Fully insured with very large company and under £1200.