Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for NIE in Valencia

Applying for NIE in Valencia

Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Post Applying for NIE in Valencia

Hola.

I wonder if anyone has had experience of applying (and getting) an NIE number FAIRLY RECENTLY in valencia (city).

We live on the outskirts.

Where exactly is the correct NIE office for EU members to apply, and anyone know best time to arrive etc? (We heard various scare stories whilst in alicante area of having to turn up at 6 am or something stupid, but a dutch chap we know around here just strolled into the valencia office around midday and got it sorted there and then)

We have been meaning to do this for absolutely ages but the purchase of another car is looming (Spanish roads have knackered ours!) so got to get it done this month really?

What forms do you need etc plus ID (part from passport and padron)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for NIE in Valencia

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Hola.

I wonder if anyone has had experience of applying (and getting) an NIE number FAIRLY RECENTLY in valencia (city).

We live on the outskirts.

Where exactly is the correct NIE office for EU members to apply, and anyone know best time to arrive etc? (We heard various scare stories whilst in alicante area of having to turn up at 6 am or something stupid, but a dutch chap we know around here just strolled into the valencia office around midday and got it sorted there and then)

We have been meaning to do this for absolutely ages but the purchase of another car is looming (Spanish roads have knackered ours!) so got to get it done this month really?

What forms do you need etc plus ID (part from passport and padron)?

Thanks in advance.
I think I'm right in saying this is the place, but open to any other take on the subject
Full-screenComisaria De Policia De Valencia - Patraix
Calle de Gremis 6
46014 Valencia, Spain

Get Directions

96 359 33 09

See HERE

Take everything in quadruplicate, because whatever people tell you, you never know what you might be asked for

So Padron, passport, photos ........ maybe apply for your "residencia" at the same time as it all goes on the same document now
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

so its at the Calle de Gremis 6, 46014 Valencia, yeah?

Kind realised they would want everything in quadruple though (!) but any idea best time to turn up? (1st thing in the morning is more or less impossible for us, prob why we havent got it done yet!)

confused about the RESIDENCIA though, forgive me for asking but i thought this was not needed anymore?. amd padron was ok

Last edited by painterhombre; Jan 12th 2010 at 12:04 pm. Reason: custard
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

so its at the Calle de Gremis 6, 46014 Valencia, yeah?

Kind realised they would want everything in quadruple though (!) but any idea best time to turn up? (1st thing in the morning is more or less impossible for us, prob why we havent got it done yet!)

confused about the RESIDENCIA though, forgive me for asking but i thought this was not needed anymore?. amd padron was ok
No .... you need to register on the register of foreigners when you arrive, which is what people generally call residencia. Its a requirement that you do this. The "Residencia document now bears your NIE as well. One A4 document with both, I no longer have an NIE certificate on its own
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No .... you need to register on the register of foreigners when you arrive, which is what people generally call residencia. Its a requirement that you do this. The "Residencia document now bears your NIE as well. One A4 document with both, I no longer have an NIE certificate on its own
oh bragas! More stuff to deal with.

(I thought we were all European now?) (Sound of can of worms being opened)

Last edited by painterhombre; Jan 12th 2010 at 12:59 pm. Reason: meh
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Have you not got Nati's phone number? She is by the station and will sort everything for you!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Have you not got Nati's phone number? She is by the station and will sort everything for you!
Craig has mentioned this person but we are used to getting things done ourselves.

If we pay someone we still have to go to the offices so we might as well do it ourselves.One person quoted 50 euros each but to be honest Id rather spend that money on more firewood.

Just need to be exact where to go and know all that we need to take with us to save further trips.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

(I thought we were all European now?)
We are, but the only right you get is that of free movement between EU states. If you wish to live or work there different rules may apply.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
We are, but the only right you get is that of free movement between EU states. If you wish to live or work there different rules may apply.
Think yourselves lucky...

When my Spanish OH went to live in London she got asked all kinds of intruding things when she went to get a national insurance number

e.g. what are you doing in the country, what airport did you fly in, how much do you have in your bank account, how are you paying for your accomodation?

All which they had no right asking
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

siggi is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only been here a month, and I have done nothing about my NIE. But now, to be able to rent the apartment I am staying in, I have to. Is this form http://www.costatropic.com/nie_form.php sufficient or have the law changed since 2007 making this form outdated?

all the best

Sig
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

siggi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siggi
I've only been here a month, and I have done nothing about my NIE. But now, to be able to rent the apartment I am staying in, I have to. Is this form http://www.costatropic.com/nie_form.php sufficient or have the law changed since 2007 making this form outdated?

all the best

Sig
Seems I have an answer in this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692117
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:29 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

And there’s me thinking I was the only illegal Brit living in Spain! The place is crawling with them.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by siggi

all the best

Sig
I just went through this process last month with my parents. They didn't have NIE or residencia, and we got them both at the same time. The form you need to fill out is the Ex_16. You just leave the field where they ask for your NIE number blank, and when you get there they will assign you a NIE number on the spot. By law you have to have a residencia anyway, so you might as well do both at the same time and save yourself from paying the fee twice if you do the NIE and residencia separately. Not to mention that if you do them separately you'd have to endure the endless queues at the police station twice, too...

The documents you need to get your NIE and residencia are: a Padron certificate (you can get that at the Ayuntamiento downtown, or at a local office), your passport and a photocopy of your passport, and the completed Ex_16 form (must be completed in black ink). The problem is, I don't think you can get a padron certificate if you don't have a permanent address yet - to get on the padron you have to show them your rental agreement, give them a photocopy of it, as well as a photocopy of your passport. But you can go to the Oficina del Padron and try, at least. Here's a list of all the offices where you can get a padron certificate in Valencia - you can pick the one nearest you:
http://www.valencia.es/twav/tramites...=1_1&bdorigen=
Note that if you go to the main office - the Oficina del Padron in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento - the lines are very long, but if you go to a local office - a Junta Municipal - there are usually just a couple of people waiting in line.

You can find all the details of how we got my parents' residencias (where to get the form to fill out, the address to go to, etc) in this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689133

I wonder though why they are asking for your NIE in order to rent an apartment? I gave my passport number on both rental contracts I've signed since coming to Spain (the latest one was last year), and the landlords never had a problem with that.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NadiaN
I just went through this process last month with my parents. They didn't have NIE or residencia, and we got them both at the same time. The form you need to fill out is the Ex_16. You just leave the field where they ask for your NIE number blank, and when you get there they will assign you a NIE number on the spot. By law you have to have a residencia anyway, so you might as well do both at the same time and save yourself from paying the fee twice if you do the NIE and residencia separately. Not to mention that if you do them separately you'd have to endure the endless queues at the police station twice, too...

The documents you need to get your NIE and residencia are: a Padron certificate (you can get that at the Ayuntamiento downtown, or at a local office), your passport and a photocopy of your passport, and the completed Ex_16 form (must be completed in black ink). The problem is, I don't think you can get a padron certificate if you don't have a permanent address yet - to get on the padron you have to show them your rental agreement, give them a photocopy of it, as well as a photocopy of your passport. But you can go to the Oficina del Padron and try, at least. Here's a list of all the offices where you can get a padron certificate in Valencia - you can pick the one nearest you:
http://www.valencia.es/twav/tramites...=1_1&bdorigen=
Note that if you go to the main office - the Oficina del Padron in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento - the lines are very long, but if you go to a local office - a Junta Municipal - there are usually just a couple of people waiting in line.

You can find all the details of how we got my parents' residencias (where to get the form to fill out, the address to go to, etc) in this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689133

I wonder though why they are asking for your NIE in order to rent an apartment? I gave my passport number on both rental contracts I've signed since coming to Spain (the latest one was last year), and the landlords never had a problem with that.
Just to show how difficult Spain can be sometimes, in some towns you can not get a Padron without having an NIE!!!!!

We also needed photos when we got our residencia.

Some landlords (me included) insist on having DNI's or NIE's to rent to a tenant. It makes the process a lot easier if bills have to be in the tenants name and is ESSENTIAL if any thing goes wrong later and legal proceedings need to be taken.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just to show how difficult Spain can be sometimes, in some towns you can not get a Padron without having an NIE!!!!!
Or, more to the point, in most places, you cannot get on the padron until you have the registration certificate.

The logic is that you can only sign on the padron if your house in Spain is your principal residence - not just a holiday home.

In reality it is an ongoing census of people who LIVE in Spain - not a register of property owners!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.