Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for a new UK passport

Applying for a new UK passport

Old Jan 9th 2023, 11:04 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a new UK passport

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
For the n'th time if you are actually in the UK you can use any service you wish, where you reside is irrelevant!
Maybe I'm being too pedantic, but:
You can apply for a faster service if both:
  • you’re in the UK
  • you need to renew or replace a passport, or get a first child passport
To save time I'd apply while I was in Spain then fly to the UK, but from that text looks like that can't be done.

But it wouldn't be the first time that advice on gov.uk wasn't 100% accurate. If two people here are telling me they've done it, then I'll assume the website is wrong. Thanks to both of you.

Last edited by DLC; Jan 9th 2023 at 11:22 am.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

We are making a bit of a meal of this aren't we people?

I realise nothing works properly in the UK these days but my partner found that renewing their passport was a doddle.

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you will find a rule somewhere that will make life more difficult for you.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Maybe I'm being too pedantic, but:

To save time I'd apply while I was in Spain then fly to the UK, but from that text looks like that can't be done.

But it wouldn't be the first time that advice on gov.uk wasn't 100% accurate. If two people here are telling me they've done it, then I'll assume the website is wrong. Thanks to both of you.
I should add that I renewed my UK passport in 2017 (my last ever UK passport unless things radically change) and I applied from Spain or UK online (can't remember which) and pre booked an appointment in London. It was all very easily, we took the tube to Victoria and from there it is well signposted and you really can't go wrong.

I had a face to face interview at one of the counters and the bloke took my old passport. I received the old passport in the post the following day and the new passport in the post a day or so later.

If I had paid extra, I could have hung around in Victoria Street for a while and picked up the new passport later that day but I opted for the next best option.

There are plenty of choices available.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Was this Online premium or 1 week fast track?

In both of those cases the "Who can apply" section steers people away from these two services if they live abroad but if your partner renewed using either of those services then it looks like anyone living outside the UK can use them anyway.
But the linked page is giving advice specifically to people who need a passport "urgently", not passport applications in general, and at the risk of stating the obvious, traveling to the UK as a prerequisite first step, is unlikely to be the fastest way to get a passport.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
We are making a bit of a meal of this aren't we people?

I realise nothing works properly in the UK these days but my partner found that renewing their passport was a doddle.

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you will find a rule somewhere that will make life more difficult for you.
Agreed ..... Its common practice for Expats where I am to plan a UK visit to coincide with a passport renewal .... easy !
Old Jan 9th 2023, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But the linked page is giving advice specifically to people who need a passport "urgently", not passport applications in general, and at the risk of stating the obvious, traveling to the UK as a prerequisite first step, is unlikely to be the fastest way to get a passport.
If I go to the UK to renew my passport and my return travel is already booked ...... I need it urgently to get home again

Nothing specifies what urgent is ....... it can be a business trip or a vacation or anything where you need a passport quickly.

In fact if you follow this https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk and follow the other links you can select the fast service

Last edited by UKMS; Jan 9th 2023 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
If I go to the UK to renew my passport and my return travel is already booked ...... I need it urgently to get home again

Nothing specifies what urgent is ....... it can be a business trip or a vacation or anything where you need a passport quickly.

In fact if you follow this not in the UKhttps://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk and follow the other links you can select the fast service
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think missed the point that I was focusing on, that if you need a passport "urgently", and are not in the UK, then the advice would be expected, per comment from @DLC that I was replying to, to "steer you away" from the solutions for UK residents, not least because advice for a British citizen who is overseas and doesn't have a passport, isn't going to be much use if it focuses on solutions for which you would have to first travel to the UK to access!
Old Jan 9th 2023, 7:28 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think missed the point that I was focusing on, that if you need a passport "urgently", and are not in the UK, then the advice would be expected, per comment from @DLC that I was replying to, to "steer you away" from the solutions for UK residents, not least because advice for a British citizen who is overseas and doesn't have a passport, isn't going to be much use if it focuses on solutions for which you would have to first travel to the UK to access!
Why not kill two birds with one stone and time a visit with renewing a passport if there's no embassy/consulate option any more and the passport office is takes weeks to renew your passport?

The advice puts people off from doing that even though they can.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by DLC
.... The advice puts people off from doing that even though they can.
With respect I beg to disagree, as the advice you cited is directed to those who are both [1] not in the UK, and [2] need a passport "urgently".

However, if [1] does not apply (i.e. you are in the UK), and whether or not [2] applies, then you are correct.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

J.porter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I think you're right. I even phoned the passport office, said i was living in spain and asked if I should use the spanish address. She said no and to use whatever address in the UK I could. This was for the fasttrack online service where you make a meeting and just pick up the new passport and hand in the old one.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi There, Yes I gained my TIE as part of the withdrawal agreement, I applied december 2020 and just got in in time.

I pay corporation tax and self assessment tax in the UK still, yes I need some advice on this.

Something that I'm not sure about also - what is the difference between being resident/paying tax in spain and declaring worldwide assets? Is declaring worldwide assets just paying tax on the profit of my UK company. The turnover prob doesnt exceed 50K, it's probably around 35-40K GBP.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 10th 2023, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thats what Im doing thanks!
Old Jan 10th 2023, 2:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.porter
Hi There, Yes I gained my TIE as part of the withdrawal agreement, I applied december 2020 and just got in in time.

I pay corporation tax and self assessment tax in the UK still, yes I need some advice on this.

Something that I'm not sure about also - what is the difference between being resident/paying tax in spain and declaring worldwide assets? Is declaring worldwide assets just paying tax on the profit of my UK company. The turnover prob doesnt exceed 50K, it's probably around 35-40K GBP.

Thanks for the help!
If you live in Spain, then really you can't do what you are doing. Please take professional help.

Declaring worldwide assets is just that - a declaration. There is ZERO tax liability as a result. You need to declare each asset (in each of the asset classes) that exceeds 50k This is just so they can cross-reference that you are or may have to pay tax on that asset.

Being tax resident means you may have a tax liability in Spain.

Being resident in Spain means you have your home here - quite different to being tax resident.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Just to update - I phoned up the passport office to ask about the online premium service where you apply in advance online and make an appointment to pick it up. I told the woman on the phone I live in spain and she said specifically to say when going through the process that I live in the UK. Perhaps like some people said here if you're applying as 'overseas' might be for a first time application or maybe it's because they deliver the new one overseas and you only do it if you cant come to england.

So when I pick u- my passport on the 23rd I will update to confirm if it all went through ok. Thanks all!
Old Jan 10th 2023, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Why you were told to lie makes no sense at all, there is nothing to be gained or lost by telling the truth.

You cannot make a first time passport application from Spain, or not unless you had been born and grown up there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.