Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Appealing a Spanish Parking Fine (Multa)

Appealing a Spanish Parking Fine (Multa)

Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appealing a Spanish Parking Fine (Multa)

I do actually know someone who as recently as last week had a parking fine rescinded by the officer who issued it - does he qualify for a special award, do you think?

His wife died in early February and he went to the Cudeca shop in Torre del Mar to deliver the money donated in her memory, and drop off clothes. He had to wait in the shop whilst they gave him a receipt for the money. When he left the shop he had been given a parking ticket, although the 2 vehicles parked immediately in front of his had not.

He does not speak much Spanish so got a friend who is fluent to write a letter explaining the circumstances and accompany him to the police station. At first the man on reception was very abrupt but on reading the letter apparently his attitude changed completely and they were asked to wait until the officer who had issued the fine was free. When she came out to see them, she agreed to rescind the fine. They asked why the other 2 cars had not received fines and were told that they were "authorised" whatever that means.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:03 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, if you pay the fine on time (within 30 or is it 60 days) then it is reduced by 50%. So 90 becomes 45.

If you contest it, then it is the town hall's interest to taken longer than this to respond to you. Then, if you loose, you have to pay the full fine.

I had a parking ticket recently. I parked in an area designated for loading and unloading. As I was unloading some furniture for one of my flats and was going to be fairly swift, I thought it would be OK. Anyway, I got a ticket.

I went to the local police and asked them to explain it. Well, it turns out that loading and unloading is ONLY for lorries or vans (not large estate or 4x4 vehicles). I asked how I could unload in future and was told that either I had to leave someone in the vehicle (so I would have to carry all the furniture myself) or that I should on the hazard warning lights and pray!!!

In other words, there is nothing I can do to avoid the fine other than to hope I don't get caught - I can't park any closer without totally blocking the road or without hiring a lorry to do what my own vehicle could

Welcome to Spain
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

Not a parking fine but a few years ago when i had a bar,I did get a fine of 60 euros as my terrace was 1 metre over the limit,the three bars next to me and a shop that were spanish owned did not get a fine,when i went to the council to complain that i was the only one fined,they asked for photo evidence(they had that for me),of the other bars,well i wasnt going to grass them up(despite what some of you lessers think of me) as they were friends,we at the time asked to pay more terrace tax as there was room but we were not allowed that,in the end I just called them rascist bastards and paid the fine,the holidaymakers hated it when i asked them to move the tables back and they could not sit in the sun as it was going down,its corrupt here