Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Apartment Insurance ?.

Apartment Insurance ?.

Old Jan 14th 2019, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ken and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant future
Default Apartment Insurance ?.

We've had our 2 bed / 2 bathroom apartment on Vista Esuri for around 10 years now, and our property insurance is due for renewal around mid-February.
As always with these things, each year the price seems to creep up, and it's not always easy to do a comparison for overseas property insurance like you would in the UK for property / car insurances, or similar.
Currently we're insured through Intasure, a UK based company, and last year the premium was around £260, which I feel is a bit lumpy.
I'm not necessarily looking for a "cheap & nasty" option, but would want something decent that can be relied upon should something happen, and would need to be English spoken with policy documents etc supplied, in English.
Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

neil77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apartment Insurance ?.

I recommend Linea Directa which is obviously the Spanish division of Direct Line from the UK. Spain Tel:+34 918 071 202. They speak excellent english, all the forms are in english and they are competitively priced. When it comes to making a claim if you ever should have to, there is no fuss and claims are settled swiftly and efficiently. If you can get a cheaper quote through an insurance broker [plenty on the internet in Spain] then Linea Directa are open to reducing their prices to gain your business.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute

We use IBEX and pay about 120€ for a good level of cover for a 2 bed apt on Las Encinas. Each year the policy charge is the same although this year an extra mandatory charge bumped it up by 10€. Not needed to test them out yet thank god but they seem good so far. English speaking and very easy to deal with.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; Jan 14th 2019 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

I have explored insurance Companies recently, including Ibex. I settled for Schofields Ltd, based in Bolton. The price they have charged for 1 year is £163.24 for a 3 bed. duplex. The advantage for us is that there is no restriction on how long the property is vacant, so we don't have to make sure somebody stays at least every 60 or 90 days as some Insurance companies require and we don't have to have the water turned off during winter months or periods of vacancies (we have a plant watering system).
Hope this is useful.

Kim
Old Jan 24th 2019, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodzie
I have explored insurance Companies recently, including Ibex. I settled for Schofields Ltd, based in Bolton. The price they have charged for 1 year is £163.24 for a 3 bed. duplex. The advantage for us is that there is no restriction on how long the property is vacant, so we don't have to make sure somebody stays at least every 60 or 90 days as some Insurance companies require and we don't have to have the water turned off during winter months or periods of vacancies (we have a plant watering system).
Hope this is useful.

Kim
Are you saying that IBEX do have these requirements, as I was never made aware of them?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Hi, no I'm not referring to Ibex specifically. I've been looking at a few companies recently and they do differ in their requirements. I just found Schofields very flexible. I can't remember Ibex exact terms, (had enough small print reading for this year)
Old Jan 25th 2019, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Please make sure that your insurance does cover 3rd party risks too. If you are in Community then you will find that its insurance will only cover the structure and public areas. It will not cover damage done by your property if you have an accident which involves neighbouring property eg fire or flood originating in your property. I've observed that a number of people don't realise, taking out standard apartment cover and mistakenly relying on the Community insurance for the rest. Worth a check.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ken and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant future

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback - currently awaiting a call back from Linea Directa, and also awaiting quote from Schofields Ltd.
Also, thanks Mike J, very good point, our management company have previously advised that our community insurance DOES cover potential neighboring property damage as well as the structure, but I was still a little concerned as to the validity of this statement, and exactly as you suggest, I will check again.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Have now renewed my apartment insurance, and decided to go with Schofields - thanks Woodzie for the tip.
Linea Directa didn't phone me back when they said they would, and I then contacted them again, and still they didn't call me back.
I also asked my management company for any recommendations, and despite me giving them all the information they requested, they still go the sums for the buildings & contents values wrong, and were more expensive.
Schofields ended up being 28% cheaper than my existing company, so well pleased and all now sorted.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.