Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anywhere is Spain i can get back on my feet?

Anywhere is Spain i can get back on my feet?

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

coastal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Anywhere is Spain i can get back on my feet?

Situation is, in the U.K. i will be homeless on 19th Jan 2015, i do not qualify for local council help as they class it as intentionally homeless, i basically gave notice on my tenancy as i was having big problems in the area i lived and was concerned more about my mental health more than going through their months, sometimes years long process of assessing me - i can not do that, i needed out fast not 2 years time.

So, the situation is, move down to England where i will get no help either, or try abroad, the worst thing of being homeless is the cold, and Spains winters are much milder than U.K. Winters, seems common sense that i try Spain first.

I am after a place where there is a chance of me getting a home, work, and back on my feet again, i do realise i will be on the streets at first, or in a homeless shelter but that is a hurdle i am willing to get over.

I heard of Gibraltar and i would like to try there, or the neighbour town next to it, at first, if theres any tips or advices that anyone can give me regarding this i would be very grateful Or if there are other places like this i would like to know about them, i have searched the internet but most of the advice is outdated, mentioning DLA and old benefits what might be available to someone from the U.K, so i thought best ask here and see what i can find out.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anywhere is Spain i can get back on my feet?

Originally Posted by coastal
etc, etc. the worst thing of being homeless is the cold, and Spains winters are much milder than U.K. etc. etc.
LOL I don't really think you know much about Spanish weather but it gets very cold in Spain during the night so you would probably be in the same boat if you came here.

I guess from you saying 'move down to England' you must be in Scotland, you say you 'will' become homeless on 19/01/15 thats a few days ago, where are you at the moment?.

I'm sorry I don't means to sound heartless but if it smells like a troll and quacks like a troll, then its gotta be a troll ;-)
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfh
LOL I don't really think you know much about Spanish weather but it gets very cold in Spain during the night so you would probably be in the same boat if you came here.

I guess from you saying 'move down to England' you must be in Scotland, you say you 'will' become homeless on 19/01/15 thats a few days ago, where are you at the moment?.

I'm sorry I don't means to sound heartless but if it smells like a troll and quacks like a troll, then its gotta be a troll ;-)
My fault, 19th Feb the tenancy ends, yes i'm in Scotland

About the weather, its not likely the temps will get that cold than it is here, no, its below zero, i doubt Spain sees iced up puddles and their breath steam up when they breathe, i would even say Spain is warmer outside than my flat is inside, but thats just a best guess.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

My fault, 19th Feb the tenancy ends, yes i'm in Scotland

About the weather, its not likely the temps will get that cold than it is here, no, its below zero, i doubt Spain sees iced up puddles and their breath steam up when they breathe, i would even say Spain is warmer outside than my flat is inside, but thats just a best guess.
your problem will be that unemployment in Spain is horrendous, way above the UK level. Spain has no benefit system, and you would need to show proof of income and that you have healthcare in place, in your case it would have to be private.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
your problem will be that unemployment in Spain is horrendous, way above the UK level. Spain has no benefit system, and you would need to show proof of income and that you have healthcare in place, in your case it would have to be private.
OK, thanks for that info. What about Gibraltar, is it the same there?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

OK Fair enough but as Mikelincs said unemployment in Spain is horrendous do you speak any Spanish?

If as you say you have mental health problems than my advice, if you are really desperate to move, would be move down to England not here.

You need to remember that you would get no State help in any way at all in Spain
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

OK, thanks for that info. What about Gibraltar, is it the same there?
It depends, what skills do you have?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

I do not speak Spanish much, hence Gibratltar i thought of or a larger English speaking place in Spain. No i do not have mental health problems, if i stay in this flat in this area i certainly will have mental health problems quite quickly. I would be fine moving anywhere.

Skills, nothing major, i can drive fork lift, car but no licence for that, also good with people and plenty of time for disabled/vulnerable people, and i like animals i don't mind looking after dogs and such, nothing major, though i would be looking for unskilled work or even voluntary work with vulnerable people/animals.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

I'm sorry but I don't think there is much demand in Gib for people with your profile

Last edited by scrubbedexpat095; Jan 23rd 2015 at 4:36 pm. Reason: Typo as usual ;)
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks anyway, but i got to try, i am going there.

Or somewhere else.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Coastal - don't think there are many homeless shelters in Spain, life is much harder for the unemployed
You are right it won't be as cold as Scotland, but it will be much colder than you imagine.
Better cold in UK than hungry, cold and depressed in Spain! Sorry!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, i may try Malta then. They have homeless shelters until i can get some sort of work.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

What you want to do sounds unrealistic, have you thought it through?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of animal rescue centres in Spain, I am sure they would love to have constant help but doubt it would paid in any way and accommodation may be a problem also.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:38 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

The advice you received here is sound - however, have you thought of house sitting - I know little about it but there are people who prefer to have someone in their house rather than leave it empty

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.