Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Originally Posted by EllisG
they had the choice to go elsewhere, a lot didn't ...saying that, risotto was not often on the menu only as a special not out of arrogance, no one forced anyone to eat it but I wanted to make an effort to introduce a little variety to the standard offerings ..99% of the food came off the BBQ - sardines, squid, ribs, lamb chops, burgers (real beef not the half pork half chicken things a lot of beachside places sell) etc accompanied by a salad with a balsamic dressing the locals went mad for and jacket potatoes (no fryers for chips).

As you noticed from the pic, the place and the view is a bit special and we had some great business from June to August day and night...then September hit where some days I could wait hours just to sell a coffee. I accept the place I was in was particularly seasonal but my advice to you mainly comes from a friendship between me and the guy who has owned my local chiringuito (50 metres from my house) for the last 30 years. When I hear him complaining and see that he has free tables on a weekend and people having meals and leaving where before they would continue drinking it is not hard to see that times are especially hard
Spanish people find 100% beef to be too dry which is why burgers and albondigas are either 50:50 beef and pork or 70:30. As long as it is cerdo iberico then they are no worse quality. I've got used to them and dont like 100% beef ones anymore. McDonalds burgers are 100% beef and that doesnt make them good quality or tasty
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:12 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

ya see Domino the wonderful thing about this world is the variety of people within it and their opposing views.

As a victim of having been dragged to the Alhambra twice I would say 2 hours was more than enough. Couldn't see what people think is so special about the place poorly maintained and completely unimpressive in my opinion.

incidentally, just to prove you can enjoy nice views while working attached to this is a view from behind my bar last year
Nice to see the ashtrays on the bar. Are they still allowed?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future

they had the choice to go elsewhere, a lot didn't ...saying that, risotto was not often on the menu only as a special not out of arrogance, no one forced anyone to eat it but I wanted to make an effort to introduce a little variety to the standard offerings ..99% of the food came off the BBQ - sardines, squid, ribs, lamb chops, burgers (real beef not the half pork half chicken things a lot of beachside places sell) etc accompanied by a salad with a balsamic dressing the locals went mad for and jacket potatoes (no fryers for chips).

As you noticed from the pic, the place and the view is a bit special and we had some great business from June to August day and night...then September hit where some days I could wait hours just to sell a coffee. I accept the place I was in was particularly seasonal but my advice to you mainly comes from a friendship between me and the guy who has owned my local chiringuito (50 metres from my house) for the last 30 years. When I hear him complaining and see that he has free tables on a weekend and people having meals and leaving where before they would continue drinking it is not hard to see that times are especially hard
I would be quite happy sat there reading a book waiting for someone to sell a coffee to. Love it. What is in the background?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrell1966
I would be quite happy sat there reading a book waiting for someone to sell a coffee to. Love it. What is in the background?
well it has taken a while but the most anti person on the thread has convinced you it is a good idea
I like it when a plan comes to fruition

let us know where you are and when ur open and we may, may just may, pay you a visit. Discount for BE members ??

rgds
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:25 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Nice to see the ashtrays on the bar. Are they still allowed?
They probably are in that situation - I can see two walls are missing and if the third wall is also missing he is OK even with the roof deployed as it is.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You sound like a "grass is greener" kind of person.

You wouldnt be very close to the Alps in Tuscany or Naples. The point is that Cádiz province offers so much, but you just dismiss it all as rubbish. Pure ignorance
the Alps can be reached in well under 3 hours from Tuscany...and I've always preferred Italian food to Spanish. Not once have I dismissed it all as rubbish but in general the quality of everyday food in Spain is not a patch on it's Italian equivalent...I can carry on with various comparisons between the historical interest of Rome and Venice which you would be hard to match in Spain, but this does not help the OP with his quest for an income stream to aid his worthy quest of getting out of the UK
I am not of the opinion the grass is greener as the beach and climate is perfect for me and exactly what I sought when finally settling here. Attached is a picture of the view I get from my front garden every morning which may help explain
Attached Thumbnails Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?-sunrise.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
They probably are in that situation - I can see two walls are missing and if the third wall is also missing he is OK even with the roof deployed as it is.
as jimenato rightly points out..no walls or ceiling ...and pic was from last year anyway so no smoking ban in place....quite a number of locals from your neck of the woods popped down from time to time too (I assume by the name you're from Jimena).

the place in the distance Darrel...is the Costa del sol between Estepona and Marbella
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

the Alps can be reached in well under 3 hours from Tuscany...and I've always preferred Italian food to Spanish. Not once have I dismissed it all as rubbish but in general the quality of everyday food in Spain is not a patch on it's Italian equivalent...I can carry on with various comparisons between the historical interest of Rome and Venice which you would be hard to match in Spain, but this does not help the OP with his quest for an income stream to aid his worthy quest of getting out of the UK
I am not of the opinion the grass is greener as the beach and climate is perfect for me and exactly what I sought when finally settling here. Attached is a picture of the view I get from my front garden every morning which may help explain
Every country has its own unique and rich history in its own right

But it is worth mentioning that Spain and Italy have the most historical and natural places of interest (as defined by UNESCO) in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tes_by_country

Italy is an interesting country with great food, but so is Spain. Dont miss out on what you have on your doorstep! I suggest you visit each of the 43 sites of interest in turn, one by one, maybe you will change your mind.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have done everything possible to convince him that despite your best efforts Spain is where he wants to live.

if I wanted to eat a curry I would go to Mumbai or Birmingham,, but luckily I hate curries .
if I wanted Chinese food I would go to places like Singapore or Hong Kong, but then I believe they do a good curry in the Lion City.
if I wanted Japanese food I would go to Tokyo, good meals on and off the Ginza

Spanish food, like Italian, and every other country, is a product of its history, where spicing and drying and smoking is a delicate balance with fresh produce. Italy has a history of being a reasonable place to eat, but Spain has had the heart taken out of it by successions of robbers from Romans, to Arabians, to French, even their own leader kept them in the same state as Cuba until the day he died.
the similarities to Italian are immense, and every chef has his own "take" on a basic recipe, so what you used to offer is really no different.

keep it up and you will have the punters flocking into CDS, the house prices will go up and the builders will have to turn to and start work on their part finished properties (subject to planning of course).
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:49 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrell1966

I see from your earlier post that you refused to do fries and served risotto instead of paella. That is a big (huge) difference between you and me, I would never be so arrogant as to tell the people what they want, I would listen and give them what they want.
That is not 'telling people what they want' - that is providing people with a choice. It is worth remembering that the number of eating and drinking establishments is Spain is immense, more than the rest of the EU put together if I remember rightly. In our small town - Jimena as was correctly mentioned earlier - there are 27 bars and restaurants - many remarkably similar and offering similar food. If I tried to compete head-on with them I would fail. So I don't, I offer something different. It seems only sensible.

Views of/from our bar
Attached Thumbnails Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?-oba-pix-005.jpg   Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?-more-oba-pix-006.jpg   Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?-firstpics-008.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future

, but this does not help the OP with his quest for an income stream to aid his worthy quest of getting out of the UK
That was not my quest though

Although I do enjoy chatting about it.

My initial quest (which seems to have fallen by the wayside) was to find somewhere as nice as the Costa del Sol. Javea was mentioned but prices there are on a par with the CDS, might as well stick with what I used to know.

May I ask you why being near Gibraltar is important to you. I would have no qualms setting up down that end of the Costa but know from experience that once you are out there friends and family and all sorts want lifts to and from the airport and I think it would get to be a drag from down there.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimenato
That is not 'telling people what they want' - that is providing people with a choice. It is worth remembering that the number of eating and drinking establishments is Spain is immense, more than the rest of the EU put together if I remember rightly. In our small town - Jimena as was correctly mentioned earlier - there are 27 bars and restaurants - many remarkably similar and offering similar food. If I tried to compete head-on with them I would fail. So I don't, I offer something different. It seems only sensible.

Views of/from our bar
Telling people they cannot have fries is NOT giving them a choice.

Your bar looks lovely.

How much is a beer?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
well it has taken a while but the most anti person on the thread has convinced you it is a good idea
I like it when a plan comes to fruition

let us know where you are and when ur open and we may, may just may, pay you a visit. Discount for BE members ??

rgds
Of course you can have discount, in fact I will get you pissed and full for free
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

ya see Domino the wonderful thing about this world is the variety of people within it and their opposing views.

As a victim of having been dragged to the Alhambra twice I would say 2 hours was more than enough. Couldn't see what people think is so special about the place poorly maintained and completely unimpressive in my opinion.

incidentally, just to prove you can enjoy nice views while working attached to this is a view from behind my bar last year
You remind me of a British tourist I met in a hotel in Sorrento many years ago. She had been to visit Pompeii the day before and I asked her if she had enjoyed it. "Well", she said "it was all right but it's just a load of old ruins really, isn't it?".

We still laugh about that and whenever we visit any historical site always say "it's OK but it's just a load of old ruins!".
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

having done it once, nearly all day, need to go back and learn it all over again. Experience.
Done it four times, including a night visit, and I'd go again tomorrow, but wild horses wouldn't drag me to the likes of Fuengy or Torre!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.