Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone set up a new business in Spain?

Anyone set up a new business in Spain?

Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Question Anyone set up a new business in Spain?

Hi guys,

Thinking of setting up a new business here in sunny Spain.

Never ever done this before.... beware Mrs Eddie's on the loose- straight jackets at the ready !!!

Just wondered if any of you have...and if so did it go ok?

Whether this was all new to you or whether you have had business experience in the UK....your experiences would be helpful, that's if you want to share them .
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone set up a new business in Spain?

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hi guys,

Thinking of setting up a new business here in sunny Spain.

Never ever done this before.... beware Mrs Eddie's on the loose- straight jackets at the ready !!!

Just wondered if any of you have...and if so did it go ok?

Whether this was all new to you or whether you have had business experience in the UK....your experiences would be helpful, that's if you want to share them .
there are various ways of setting yourself up - I would suggest proper legal advice from a gestor (there are a few English speaking around local too if you need one)

Depending on what the business is, whether you want to be S.L or S.A or S.C, if you will have people working for you - loads of stuff will determine the best way forward

Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spain
there are various ways of setting yourself up - I would suggest proper legal advice from a gestor (there are a few English speaking around local too if you need one)

Depending on what the business is, whether you want to be S.L or S.A or S.C, if you will have people working for you - loads of stuff will determine the best way forward

Thanks for that chick.......definitely will see a gestor as not clued up on the whole business thing anyway but am determined to make a go of our move to Spain, we love it here and want to make it as secure as possible.

Thanks again for your advice xxx
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that chick.......definitely will see a gestor as not clued up on the whole business thing anyway but am determined to make a go of our move to Spain, we love it here and want to make it as secure as possible.

Thanks again for your advice xxx
no probs

is it a secret what sort of business you are looking at or are you gonna share your idea with us ??
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

no probs

is it a secret what sort of business you are looking at or are you gonna share your idea with us ??
Bit embarrassed about it really, it's a fish and chip shop....serving fish tapas as well on the paseo (fingers crossed I get the location).

Fancied a bag of chips last night as I was in the park last night, kids were playing...mum's were laughing and joking.....it was the first time I'd fancied them....but no take away...

I know I'm in Spain and Oliva is a Spanish town....I'm not gunna open a Traditional English looking shop...I'd hate to think it'll be "English"...I'd market it as a takeway for fish tapas and fish and chips....all cooked properly etc ....

But hey - I only starting thinking of this idea last night - hence the excitement....so Mr E might think it's CRAZY...along with others.

Just thought of it as there are always people on the paseo......might fancy some take away nibbles etc...

Have I lost the plot?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

No you haven't lost the plot. My husband and I are doing the same thing hopefully opening a small convenience store and cafe (not bar) opposite the marina in Villajoyosa. The Gestor has been very helpful but we need to lease the locale before we got the licence (which we understand has to be a cafeteria/bar licence and then do add ons i.e. bread, milk etc. and then another licence for drinks etc) and then of course there is no guarantee that we will get the licence (been told it should be OK - but that was yesterday!!) Then of course we have to put in another loo because it is now a cafe and not a shop. The €'s are mounting all the time but we are thinking positive (well today I am anyway). If it doesn't work like you it will not be through lack of trying. So best of luck and go for it.

Sue
xxxxx

Last edited by SueG; Mar 10th 2007 at 1:19 pm. Reason: to make it make more sense hopefully!!!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SueG
No you haven't lost the plot. My husband and I are doing the same thing hopefully opening a small convenience store and cafe (not bar) opposite the marina in Villajoyosa. The Gestor has been very helpful but we need to lease the locale before we got the licence (which we understand has to be a cafeteria/bar licence and then do add ons i.e. bread, milk etc. and then another licence for drinks etc) and then of course there is no guarantee that we will get the licence (been told it should be OK - but that was yesterday!!) Then of course we have to put in another loo because it is now a cafe and not a shop. The €'s are mounting all the time but we are thinking positive (well today I am anyway). If it doesn't work like you it will not be through lack of trying. So best of luck and go for it.

Sue
xxxxx
Aw Sue.....all the best hun ! I'm getting excited for you....you'll have to keep me/us posted.

Thanks for your encouragement. I really want it to work and be as much a Spanish take-away as an English one.

If you really really don't mind can you let me have an idea of the costs....by pm....if thats too cheeky not to worry....need to be able to swing Mr E...and want as many facts/figures as poss....

Did you do market research, projection plan or anything like that....???

Or s that for bigger businesses and students that done a business degree....look I'm soooo niave etc ....geez it's exciting and scarey isn't it !!

Anyway let us know how you get on.....albir...is that near us ? If it is I'll come when you open ......

All the best xxxx
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bit embarrassed about it really, it's a fish and chip shop....serving fish tapas as well on the paseo (fingers crossed I get the location).

Fancied a bag of chips last night as I was in the park last night, kids were playing...mum's were laughing and joking.....it was the first time I'd fancied them....but no take away...

I know I'm in Spain and Oliva is a Spanish town....I'm not gunna open a Traditional English looking shop...I'd hate to think it'll be "English"...I'd market it as a takeway for fish tapas and fish and chips....all cooked properly etc ....

But hey - I only starting thinking of this idea last night - hence the excitement....so Mr E might think it's CRAZY...along with others.

Just thought of it as there are always people on the paseo......might fancy some take away nibbles etc...

Have I lost the plot?
FANTASTIC

my son will be over the moon, whenever we go to Javea we go to Scallops for cod and chips, it looooooovely

Friends of mine were toying with the idea of a fish and chip shop in Oliva a few years ago how strange

well good luck with it all, go for it - may be a way off but of course you will have to let me know when you will be up and running
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I will email you direct. We are ex conveyancing legal assistant and IT consultant - no experience of running a business but what the hell if we don't try now will never do it and it is something we have always wanted to do - i.e. work for ourseves. We have researched the area and are taking the locale from an English lady who opened a shop selling English chutneys, cheeses etc which unfortunately for her has not worked!!! We are situated beneath an apartment block of 49 with another 49 next door and have walked all round the locality and there is no local convenience store. Hopefully we will supplement our income by having a 6 tables on the terrace and selling teas, coffees, cold drinks etc and pastries and sandwiches but have no intention of competing with the restaurants in the area.

Albir is one side of Benidorm (although we cannot see it!!) and Villajoyosa is the other side about 15k away.

Last edited by SueG; Mar 10th 2007 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

FANTASTIC

my son will be over the moon, whenever we go to Javea we go to Scallops for cod and chips, it looooooovely

Friends of mine were toying with the idea of a fish and chip shop in Oliva a few years ago how strange

well good luck with it all, go for it - may be a way off but of course you will have to let me know when you will be up and running
Aw bless you !!!!!

Thanks for the support babe ....at least I've been told twice now that I'm not loosing the plot...I feel more positive.

Will def let you know xxxxxx
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SueG
I will email you direct. We are ex conveyancing legal assistant and IT consultant - no experience of running a business but what the hell if we don't try now will never do it and it is something we have always wanted to do - i.e. work for ourseves. We have researched the area and are taking the locale from an English lady who opened a shop selling English chutneys, cheeses etc which unfortunately for her has not worked!!! We are situated beneath an apartment block of 49 with another 49 next door and have walked all round the locality and there is no local convenience store. Hopefully we will supplement our income by having a full tables on the terrace and selling teas, coffees, cold drinks etc and light food but have no intention of competing with the restaurants in the area.

Albir is one side of Benidorm (although we cannot see it!!) and Villajoyosa is the other side about 15k away.

Gosh it sounds like you are in the perfect spot hun.......
I've got to trek about 15 mins walk to Mercadona .....not too far really tho I 'spose...just lazy!
Have a Spanish "convenience" store just down the road but far too pricey....would rather walk than pay majorly over the top!

I think we are only 30 mins away from Benidorm on the AP7 so def be visiting

I'm so chuffed for you....new start ...new future.....
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually worked in or run a Fish and Chip shop before anywhere? How good is your Spanish, as you will have to deal with Spanish suppliers etc, as well health and safety etc as they are quite strict here.

Have I lost the plot?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:06 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Don´t forget to see if there are any grants (subvenciones) you can get for setting up in business. Annie got two grants of 6000 euros each for setting up her business. One was from the Junta de Andalucia and I can´t remember where the other one was from.

Keith
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Have you actually worked in or run a Fish and Chip shop before anywhere? How good is your Spanish, as you will have to deal with Spanish suppliers etc, as well health and safety etc as they are quite strict here.
Hiya....No I haven't worked in a chip shop or run one b4.

It's a VERY new idea...sprung in the wee hours when my children wouldn't let me sleep

I am learning Spanish...not too good tho, can hold a conversation ish...Mr E's going to lessons as he wants to branch out, he's in IT. So I do need to learn more Spanish....so I admit this idea seems crazy as I'm not yet fluent...

I am going to lessons when his finishes...can't afford both of us to go at one time...as daughters in nursery.....watching the pennies..hence this idea.

I have a Spanish friend who will translate gladly, but I know this is not great. And I for one know its going to be a struggle.

All day I have been researching this idea....as no idea how to start a business etc....so while I am excited I am aware of my lack of knowledge of this business, coupled with not fully being able to converse in Spanish yet....

I appreciate I do seem a bit niave...but I really want to continue to live in Spain as I love it here, the people etc etc. I really want to secure a future here and make Spanish friends etc

Do you think I'm rushing into it ...should I wait til I'm fluent in Spanish ?

My son is thriving here, he's 4 and I heard him playing on his own in the naya...he was speaking Valenciano...nearly cried ..I was so proud !

Now as a Mum, needing to bring in the money, I am not feeling adequate. In the UK I was earning more than my hubby...

Oh well...only time will tell .....

Thanks for the post ...made me stay focused.

xx

Last edited by Mrs eddie; Mar 10th 2007 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Doh !!! Spelling
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Don´t forget to see if there are any grants (subvenciones) you can get for setting up in business. Annie got two grants of 6000 euros each for setting up her business. One was from the Junta de Andalucia and I can´t remember where the other one was from.

Keith
Aw thanks for that Keith....I read somewhere that if you are creating jobs/revenue in Spain they give you money....maybe thats what this is.....

Definitely remember that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.