Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone managed to register for the Spanish health system?

Anyone managed to register for the Spanish health system?

Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

olivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant future
Default Anyone managed to register for the Spanish health system?

I have read on another forum that Mr Rajoy has said that all EU citizens are eligible for free Spanish health service care regardless of bring under pensionable age. Anyone here under retirement age and NOT paying into the social security system managed to register and get health cover?
We have always assumed we would have to carry on paying for private health cover until we are the magic age.... it would be nice to save a few thousand euros a year
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone managed to register for the Spanish health system?

Originally Posted by olivetree
I have read on another forum that Mr Rajoy has said that all EU citizens are eligible for free Spanish health service care regardless of bring under pensionable age. Anyone here under retirement age and NOT paying into the social security system managed to register and get health cover?
We have always assumed we would have to carry on paying for private health cover until we are the magic age.... it would be nice to save a few thousand euros a year
Might it not be a good idea to pay into the social security if it's that expensive private?! If you are a couple just one can pay and the other one can be a dependant. It will help towards your pension and you'll legally be able to earn something if you want! It's tax deductible if you do have a small business as well. One word of caution though. It doesn't pay for dentistry of any kind except extractions.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

olivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Might it not be a good idea to pay into the social security if it's that expensive private?! If you are a couple just one can pay and the other one can be a dependant. It will help towards your pension and you'll legally be able to earn something if you want! It's tax deductible if you do have a small business as well. One word of caution though. It doesn't pay for dentistry of any kind except extractions.
I had not thought about just one of us paying contributions and the other one covered! I had read that anyone regardless of paying contributions is covered. Any idea what the general contribution is?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I had not thought about just one of us paying contributions and the other one covered! I had read that anyone regardless of paying contributions is covered. Any idea what the general contribution is?
in most areas of Spain you can only 'pay contributions' if you are actually running a business & registered as autonomo (self-employed)

as a guide it's around 250€ a month

yes, I've heard about this 'everyone is covered' too - but don't know anyone who has tried it out yet
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future

It doesn´t seem very fair to me, if you are in the minority of expats who pay out over 250 euros each month in social security payments.

Not getting at the retired who are rightly entitled.

Hopefully this is just another rumour. Why should certain people get something for nothing when the rest of us have to pay for it.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:00 am
Just Joined

mfrancis is an unknown quantity at this point

The E111 should cover you most of the time, the bill gets sent to the NHS. I know a number of people who own property in Spain and have used this form for most of their care. The Hospital care in Spain is generally better than in the UK anyway.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
in most areas of Spain you can only 'pay contributions' if you are actually running a business & registered as autonomo (self-employed)

as a guide it's around 250€ a month

yes, I've heard about this 'everyone is covered' too - but don't know anyone who has tried it out yet
Its actually 270 something because I'm over 50.(it goes up as you get nearer pension age!) I pay and my unemployed husband who also has diabetes is covered. Registering as an Autonomo is not that difficult. But get a Gestor to do it. You can be an autonomo even if you earn very little or nothing in any particular month as long as you have the intention of running a business. It could even be an ebay business. If you're interested in crafts...for example. It pays to have your materials paid for and your petrol to the post office or to a market etc part paid. And of course the cost of your gestor is a deductible expense. Obviously this is not a step to take if you don't actually do ANY business. You'd need to work out the pro's and cons.
BTW I get most of my tax back because my husband is unemployed. BUT remember you have to charge and pay VAT from the very first Euro and collect your customers tax details. This can be a pain. Plus, for us it is a struggle to pay the monthly Social security payment. But, for us there's no option. If you're under pensionable age, and you have income from anywhere in the world, by law you have to declare it here in Spain anyway.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Its actually 270 something because I'm over 50.(it goes up as you get nearer pension age!) I pay and my unemployed husband who also has diabetes is covered. Registering as an Autonomo is not that difficult. But get a Gestor to do it. You can be an autonomo even if you earn very little or nothing in any particular month as long as you have the intention of running a business. It could even be an ebay business. If you're interested in crafts...for example. It pays to have your materials paid for and your petrol to the post office or to a market etc part paid. And of course the cost of your gestor is a deductible expense. Obviously this is not a step to take if you don't actually do ANY business. You'd need to work out the pro's and cons.
BTW I get most of my tax back because my husband is unemployed. BUT remember you have to charge and pay VAT from the very first Euro and collect your customers tax details. This can be a pain. Plus, for us it is a struggle to pay the monthly Social security payment. But, for us there's no option. If you're under pensionable age, and you have income from anywhere in the world, by law you have to declare it here in Spain anyway.
as I said - the 250€ was a guide - it depends on many things including your age

you agree though, that you have to have a business & produce accounts - I have to produce & keep copies of invoices for all my students even though none of them want one & they pay me lesson by lesson - luckily for me teaching doesn't attract IVA

but you do actually have to have a business - you can't 'contribute' without one (or a contracted job) in most parts of Spain
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
as I said - the 250€ was a guide - it depends on many things including your age

you agree though, that you have to have a business & produce accounts - I have to produce & keep copies of invoices for all my students even though none of them want one & they pay me lesson by lesson - luckily for me teaching doesn't attract IVA

but you do actually have to have a business - you can't 'contribute' without one (or a contracted job) in most parts of Spain
Wow Lynnxa! You've just saved me a lot of money! I didn't know teaching doesn't attract IVA. I've been paying it as if it was sales! My gestor will be getting a note from me today!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

whilst not the definitive list

http://www.advoco.es/hot-topics/63-i...-in-spain.html

provides a good guideline

if making crossborder sales then a good indication of the rules is

http://www.advoco.es/home/22-latest/...vat-rules.html

if just starting as an autonomo then

http://www.advoco.es/hot-topics/43-g...mo-system.html

I have nothing to do with the company concerned, just find their information and presentation easy to read

hth
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lot cheaper to pay for private health insurance than it is to pay autonomo contributions, if you don't genuinely have a small business and just want health cover. We currently pay 102€ per month for the two of us - less than half the autonomo monthly contribution, not to mention what a gestor would cost to sort out the tax returns. Of course, if you are actually running a business as you are, you need to be autonomo anyway.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfrancis
The E111 should cover you most of the time, the bill gets sent to the NHS. I know a number of people who own property in Spain and have used this form for most of their care. The Hospital care in Spain is generally better than in the UK anyway.
it is now EHIC, it is not supposed to be used by permanent residents it is for Holiday cover, Spain is cracking down on people living and using it.

We are registered here and did so as soon as I was in receipt of my pension 3 years ago, yes the health care is superb as we know from last year.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:07 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I have taken my S1 to the INSS, been registered with them, and had confirmation letter back
visited my local doctors, filled in their forms and been registered with them, permanante, they have written to confirm, can log on to their website and make an appointment - just waiting for my card to arrive which normally takes 2-3 months.

so far visited doctors twice for repeat prescriptions and had those issued, filled at the local pharmacy at €5.00 for a total of 8 items.
OK at 64 would get them for free in the UK but a small price to pay to stay alive long enough to reach 65 and get them free.

the BH had a 2 script prescription when had a heavy cold and congestion and it cost 80c per item

have retained the UK EHIC for the time being but when 65 assume will be able to apply for a Spanish version
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

have retained the UK EHIC for the time being but when 65 assume will be able to apply for a Spanish version
The EHIC system has now changed and the country of origin (in your case the UK) is responsible for issuing the EHIC when you reach state pension age.

The early retired, unfortunately, are still in the position of not being eligible for an EHIC from either the UK or Spain, if they are not working and paying Spanish social security contributions.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Wow Lynnxa! You've just saved me a lot of money! I didn't know teaching doesn't attract IVA. I've been paying it as if it was sales! My gestor will be getting a note from me today!
I've just got myself a new gestor - the one my husband used was too far away from me - he didn't know teaching didn't attract IVA either til I told him.............

it might only be language teaching though

I've just been to see him this morning & he has just insisted that I get all my student's NIE numbers - apparently if the monthly invoice is less than 100€ you don't really need it, which is why I've never had to ask fo rthem before - but he reckons hacienda can get narky if you produce too many without

that's going to go down like a lead balloon...........

oh - & btw - I'm over 50 too & only pay a little over the 250€ a month mark

Last edited by lynnxa; Mar 28th 2012 at 10:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.