Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anybody still confused about Residencia?

Anybody still confused about Residencia?

Old Aug 8th 2020, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anybody still confused about Residencia?

British Embassy Madrid posted this on their Brits in Spain FB page:-'The Spanish Government has published its FAQ guide for British Residents in Spain on the Moncloa website. The guidance on the Moncloa pages make it clear that it is not mandatory to apply for the new TIE card if you already have a (green) registration certificate.

In the detailed FAQs (particularly on page 5 and 9) the Spanish authorities advise that the new TIE card is more physically durable that the (green) registration certificate, and will be useful for other administrative processes and for use at the external border. The FAQs (p9) also make clear that you may apply to exchange your registration certificate for the new TIE at any time, including once the transition period is over (which ends on 31 December 2020) https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/…/Doc…/GUIDE%20BREXIT%20eng.pdf

We've also included a link to the Moncloa FAQs in the latest Living in Spain Guide (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain)

Old Aug 8th 2020, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody still confused about Residencia?

Very informative, thanks

Steve
Old Aug 8th 2020, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. It's all quite simple (although there are already differences between regions)
We will be applying in Alicante and you can do the first section online. You then have to go to Alicante with hard copies and photos. Get your fingerprint done. And then go back again to collect your card.
I've heard in other regions it's a 2 stage process only.
Also Alicante now want €9000 in the bank not 8 as it was on the old system. And they want a complete copy of your health care policy not just the certificate.

I'm not bothered our solicitor is taking care of it all for us. I've got shed loads of other stuff to do once we arrive.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good and clear link, thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
I've heard in other regions it's a 2 stage process only.
Also Alicante now want €9000 in the bank not 8 as it was on the old system. And they want a complete copy of your health care policy not just the certificate.
​​​​​​
It's a two stage process for first time residence applications but not for residence card to TIE exchanges.

If true that insurance policy requirement could be a big problem, even a show stopper. .
Old Aug 8th 2020, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
​​​​​​
It's a two stage process for first time residence applications but not for residence card to TIE exchanges.

If true that insurance policy requirement could be a big problem, even a show stopper. .
We have done this in Malaga my wife who had no residencia. It was phase one with required documentation and evidence at the Extranjero office (immigration). They check it all and then authorise you to attend Police National (phase 2). For phase 2 you don't need the evidence of medical cover income etc as that's already been checked . Main thing they want is authorisation form 790-12 stamped paid passport and copy and photo. They fingerprint you and later issue card. If it's an exchange of old residencia for new TIE then you don't do the phase 1 bit you just go to police national as your green residencia serves the purpose of the Extranjero Office authorisation.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I should wait or go ahead to get my TIE.I have had the green paper for many years.What though if you want to buy a new car or buy/sell a property?What did you mean ,SpainRico,when you said the TIE could be"useful for other administrative processes",were you thinking along these lines of new purchases in future?In my area there is a meeting this Wednesday morning at the Townhall for those who have not previously applied for residency but I don't think it covers applying for TIE.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dougal03
Not sure if I should wait or go ahead to get my TIE.I have had the green paper for many years.What though if you want to buy a new car or buy/sell a property?What did you mean ,SpainRico,when you said the TIE could be"useful for other administrative processes",were you thinking along these lines of new purchases in future?In my area there is a meeting this Wednesday morning at the Townhall for those who have not previously applied for residency but I don't think it covers applying for TIE.
Both Spanish Government and UK say there is no requirement to change to the new card but you can if you wish. Don't forget all other EU countries will still be issued the green card so its not as if its going to become obselete! It would make sense if someone who has temp green card (under 5 years) on reaching 5 years gets a permanent (10 year) TIE I would think. Personally I won't rush to change.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

We are supposed to carry official ID and the green paper is not very convenient so a card I believe is more useful and as someone else said maybe in the future it will be a better proof of our rights - who knows for sure at this stage.

It is up to each individual and I have decided to go for TIE.

Old Aug 9th 2020, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Exactly if one already has registered residency either permanent or temporary it really is a personal choice to change or not. The Spanish government link even highlights the fact that it is better if you have a temporary green card to change to TIE card at the point you have been resident for 5 years as you will then be issued a permenant TIE all be it valid for 10 years.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Don't forget all other EU countries will still be issued the green card
That's not so, France for instance have never issued green cards, there you get a plastic photo ID card called a 'Carte de Sejour' if less than 5 years resident or a 'Titre de Sejour - Permanent', if over.

They too though are switching to a different card, similar to the TIE, which will mention in that the holder is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Don't forget all other EU countries will still be issued the green card so its not as if its going to become obsolete!
What bobd22 probably meant to say was 'all other EU countries' nationals in Spain will still be issued the green card', meaning it will still be around and continue to be issued to EU nationals.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dougal03
In my area there is a meeting this Wednesday morning at the Townhall for those who have not previously applied for residency but I don't think it covers applying for TIE.
The TIE is the same whether you're already resident or applying for residency, the only difference is that for a first application you need to demonstrate income and health cover etc. but if already resident then to exchange a green residencia card for a TIE you need none of that.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Joppa
What bobd22 probably meant to say was 'all other EU countries' nationals in Spain will still be issued the green card', meaning it will still be around and continue to be issued to EU nationals.
​​​​​Yes that is the point I am making. We are talking about the Spanish change from green card to TIE.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
They too though are switching to a different card, similar to the TIE, which will mention in that the holder is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement.
No doubt they are but the reason for it specifically mentioning beneficiary of the withdrawal agreement is simply because those registering before 31 December are entitled to that. Those registering after 31 Dec won't have that on their card unless they are people who have been already resident in Spain before 6 July 2020 choosing to change to TIE. The green card doesn't make mention of Withdrawal Agreement but is legal proof of Spanish residency and is dated from issue date. The withdrawal Agreement (EU wide) gives protection to those UK citizens resident in the EU prior to 31 December 2020. So as both Spanish Government and UK Government say both the Green card or green A4 or TIE card are legal proof of residency under the withdrawal agreement. After 31 Dec it will be the same TIE issued as to all other immigrants to Spain who are not from EU countries. If people want a new card fine get one if people are happy with their green card then the law says that's fine. Actually Spain dealt with this in a very simple way they could have insisted as I believe some countries have that all green cards (or equivalent) be replaced to continue residency, they haven't.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 10th 2020 at 8:01 am. Reason: corrected quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.