Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any Ideas for an easy way to learn spanish

Any Ideas for an easy way to learn spanish

Old May 10th 2006, 1:23 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Ideas for an easy way to learn spanish

Originally Posted by ironporer
I agree- and make sure there is plenty of alchohol flowing at all times...there is nothing better to assist in learning the language than a bunch of half drunk Spanish friends who also speak half ass English. Just about any Spanish Tapas bar will do...just make sure you are the only Brit.
LOL.. That's how my hubby learned the little Spanish he knows!!
Old May 10th 2006, 1:28 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by poollounger
asking for weed killer I just requested chemicals to murder plants

I remember a few years ago wanting to know if the prawns on a resturant menu were peeled and the only way I could think of asking this was
"have they still got their coats on?"
After picking himself up off the floor, the waiter replied that they were in fact served "naked"

It doesn't matter if you do make mistakes. The spanish people do have lots of patience and a great, dry sense of humour.

regards
BW.
ROTFLMBO!!!! Too funny.. I am sorry I had to laugh, this is by far the best I have read..
Old May 10th 2006, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Well I succeeded in downloading last night's languagathon from BBC2 and will now transfer it to a dvd and take it to Spain with me. My previous cd and book-learning attempts have all been in England, I hope I might learn better there. Or is this just clutching at straws .............
Old May 10th 2006, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by un-mundo
Well I succeeded in downloading last night's languagathon from BBC2 and will now transfer it to a dvd and take it to Spain with me. My previous cd and book-learning attempts have all been in England, I hope I might learn better there. Or is this just clutching at straws .............
Where in Spain are you going to?, are you just visiting or moving for good?
GOOD LUCK!!
Old May 10th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Where in Spain are you going to?, are you just visiting or moving for good?
GOOD LUCK!!
I've an apartment in the old town in Altea, Costa Blanca, which I visit around six times a year. I've an ageing mother who lives in town and a father buried in the cemetary there. One day I shall move, lock stock and barrel, and probably to Spain. Maybe to Morrocco or Turkey (if they clean their act up regarding human rights).

Your avatar is very wizzy!
Old May 10th 2006, 8:35 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by un-mundo
No you really will fare better when over there. I came back thanking people here with Gracias and talking to myself in Spanish...well Spanglish as I drove along.
Old May 10th 2006, 9:21 am
New to this board

wanttogotospain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DBASS
Hi there we are in the process of buying a house in ronda - we are determined to learn the language. Any tips on the quickest way to learn the language - we are using the micheal thomas cd's at the moment.
Hi, we are moving to Spain some time late this year/early 07 hopefully and have been going to Spanish lessons since last September, it is quite basic Spanish but we already feel more confident than before. We are hoping to visit for a week in June and put it into practice!!!! Lord knows what the Spanish will make of it!!
Old May 10th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

That is one thing I do find that the Spanish do laugh with you, rather than get annoyed. I remember asking my neighbour if he was going to paint his new gate and he started laughing, I found out my pronounciation was translated as whore.....

Originally Posted by big wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by poollounger
asking for weed killer I just requested chemicals to murder plants

I remember a few years ago wanting to know if the prawns on a resturant menu were peeled and the only way I could think of asking this was
"have they still got their coats on?"
After picking himself up off the floor, the waiter replied that they were in fact served "naked"

It doesn't matter if you do make mistakes. The spanish people do have lots of patience and a great, dry sense of humour.

regards
BW.
Old May 10th 2006, 10:28 am
New to this board

wanttogotospain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
That is one thing I do find that the Spanish do laugh with you, rather than get annoyed. I remember asking my neighbour if he was going to paint his new gate and he started laughing, I found out my pronounciation was translated as whore.....
Ooops, that was a good one then! I'll probably end up saying much worse than that but at least we will give it a go. I know some people who live in Spain and won't even attempt the language!
Old May 10th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice

You certainly learn by making mistakes. I was helping a non-Spanish speaking friend to furnish her new apartment in Spain. I confidently asked the shop person for a set of drawers, which is cajones but for those of you with knowledge of spanish expletives had actually replaced the "a" with an "o" in my pronunciation. The shop person had great pleasure explaining to me in her perfect English, what I had actualy asked for!!!
(Sorry to lower the tone of this thread!!)
Old May 10th 2006, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linken,

I thought that was a delicacy on some Spanish menu's!!

Regards,

John.

Originally Posted by Linken1647
You certainly learn by making mistakes. I was helping a non-Spanish speaking friend to furnish her new apartment in Spain. I confidently asked the shop person for a set of drawers, which is cajones but for those of you with knowledge of spanish expletives had actually replaced the "a" with an "o" in my pronunciation. The shop person had great pleasure explaining to me in her perfect English, what I had actualy asked for!!!
Old May 10th 2006, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice

Hi John

Thats it exactly. I notice that you are from Milton Keynes. We are almost neighbours then. Do you have a home in Spain? If so, where is it? We are looking to buy in Albunol/Adra/Berja area.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:57 pm

Good.. very good!!
Old May 10th 2006, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Linken,

I thought that was a delicacy on some Spanish menu's!!

Regards,

John.
Here in Colorado we call them Rocky Mountain oysters...
Old May 10th 2006, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any Ideas for an easy way to learn spanish

Hi Linken,

Yes we are building at Costa Esuri Ayamonte. Next visit 17th June planning a trip to the Crooked Billet before we go to see friends.

Regards,

John.

Hi John

Thats it exactly. I notice that you are from Milton Keynes. We are almost neighbours then. Do you have a home in Spain? If so, where is it? We are looking to buy in Albunol/Adra/Berja area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.