Reload this Page >

Any expats near to Turis?

Any expats near to Turis?

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

sistine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any expats near to Turis?

Hi All,

We have just moved to Spain 2 months ago, myself, husband and 2 children (15 and 16 so not really children anymore).

I was wondering whether there were any expats in the Turis area, my husband works away on the rigs, so I've found being here and not speaking the language (trying to learn) has proven harder than I expected, it would be lovely to get in touch with other people in the area, and try and learn a little more about the area and schools for the children.

Kind Regards

Samantha
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:31 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expats near to Turis?

I know from work that there are a few brits in the Montroi, Monserrat and Balcon Montroi areas.

And a number further north in Lliria - maybe a bit too far north for travel? - there is a brit shop called Spainsburys there which may be of help....

Also, look for the magazines invlc and 247valencia.com as they are aimed at people in that area - ithink they are online also.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:03 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sistine
Hi All,

We have just moved to Spain 2 months ago, myself, husband and 2 children (15 and 16 so not really children anymore).

I was wondering whether there were any expats in the Turis area, my husband works away on the rigs, so I've found being here and not speaking the language (trying to learn) has proven harder than I expected, it would be lovely to get in touch with other people in the area, and try and learn a little more about the area and schools for the children.

Kind Regards

Samantha
Hi Samantha,
I'm not far away and as Guy says there are quite a few expats sprinkled around the area, maybe more in Montroy and Monserrat than Turis.
I've just been in Turis today to the vets to get my dog sorted for travelling back to the UK for Summer.
Don't have much info on the schools I'm afraid as my kids are up and away.

If you know the main drag in Monserrat, there's an English run bar there, the only one in the area as far as I know.
It's called El Limonero and is almost half way down the street on your left, that's going down the slope.
Tuesdays, Fridays and Sunday lunchtime there's usually a few Brits about but the staff can probably advise you as well.
There's a lassie from there giving English lessons to the Spanish and Spanish lessons to the English.
Further up the street is a nice new bar called El Timple run by a lovely Canarian guy called Tony, you may find a few Brits in there also on the above mentioned days.
Also there's a Santander bank a little further down on the right. Usually a few Brits in there, but the Spanish lady who helps run it knows most Brits in the area and she's a great lass, will help you out with a thousand and one problems, even those not involving the bank.

Apart from the usual village markets there's a superb big Sunday market in Monserrat, not been running very long, but really taken off bigtime with loads of stuff and crowds coming from far and wide.
After you've run up a few posts I will be able to PM you with more info, though I'll likely be back in the UK by them.
Hope this was of some help,
Best Regards,
D.D.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your help, unfortunately I'm without a car for the month my hubby is away so Montroy and Monserrat is out until he's home, but the market sounds promising as well as the bars. There are a couple of bars in Turis we've been to when the kids and I have walked into Turis (it's about a 40 minute walk for us) but I've yet to meet anyone British, but hopefully as I learn a little Spanish communicating won't be as much of an issue, although I'm finding that Rosetta stone isn't as helpful as I first thought it might be!

Hopefully next month we can go explore Monserrat and the surrounding areas a little more.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your help, unfortunately I'm without a car for the month my hubby is away so Montroy and Monserrat is out until he's home, but the market sounds promising as well as the bars. There are a couple of bars in Turis we've been to when the kids and I have walked into Turis (it's about a 40 minute walk for us) but I've yet to meet anyone British, but hopefully as I learn a little Spanish communicating won't be as much of an issue, although I'm finding that Rosetta stone isn't as helpful as I first thought it might be!

Hopefully next month we can go explore Monserrat and the surrounding areas a little more.
I'm guessing you may be in the Canyapar area or maybe that urb on the opposite side on the way out towards Monserrat and Valencia, but I'm probably totally wrong.
If that's the case it's very difficult without a motor.
I have a taxi driver pal in Mons, a great guy who speaks perfect English and regularly runs a few Brits in and out to the shops and bars from outlying areas.
He's very reasonable pricewise and once again can advise you on a million and one problems or can always get someone else who can.
I can PM you his number sometime if you think it may be of some help.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

DD, we are near the Urb. Vinya Malata 1 near Turis, although our post code actually puts us at Alborache, which is a further distance away from Turis. We are very rural, the road we are on actually has no name so GPS is needed to direct anyone here, which without speaking much Spanish has proved to have it's issues, met my nearest neighbour by thrusting my phone at him and trying to explain that a delivery was coming and I couldn't speak spanish to direct the driver ... luckily he was very nice! Taxi numbers for english speaking drivers would be a godsend, especially in the height of summer or in winter, at the moment the temperatures are perfect for walking, and I bought myself and the two kids granny trolleys as I call them for shopping (much to their disgust!) ... but I think I am probably too far out for him.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:32 pm
On the road again.

Hi Samantha, I will get back to you tomorrow, you're not quite where I thought and I don't know that area quite so well.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:32 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Kind Regards

Samantha
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:11 am
On the road again.

DD, we are near the Urb. Vinya Malata 1 near Turis, although our post code actually puts us at Alborache, which is a further distance away from Turis. We are very rural, the road we are on actually has no name so GPS is needed to direct anyone here, which without speaking much Spanish has proved to have it's issues, met my nearest neighbour by thrusting my phone at him and trying to explain that a delivery was coming and I couldn't speak spanish to direct the driver ... luckily he was very nice! Taxi numbers for english speaking drivers would be a godsend, especially in the height of summer or in winter, at the moment the temperatures are perfect for walking, and I bought myself and the two kids granny trolleys as I call them for shopping (much to their disgust!) ... but I think I am probably too far out for him.
Hi Samantha,
As I said I don't know your area so well and you're slightly further out from my local group of villages than I thought.
Tried to check you out on google maps, but it seems to be acting up a little bit around your area.
From what I could make out you're in between several pueblos such as Turis, Bunol, Godalleta and Alborache (furthest away).

How or where do you manage to do your shopping, as I'm thinking it's a bit much to walk into Turis all the time, especially now that the heat is beginning to build up, or do you have something local ?
Are there any bus services close by ?

Wonder if you've bought a property or just rented for now, in which case you'd have the option of moving a little closer to shops and services.
For instance Monserrat is only a tiny place yet it is well catered for in every respect incl. 3 large sizable supermarkets.

I think a lot of the trade is from surrounding areas especially on weekends when the population doubles or triples with all the folk coming out of the city to spend time in their Valencian weekend homes.
The road back towards Valencia is chocabloc on Sunday afternoons as they all head back to town after the customary almost obligatory paella and bottle of wine or three and then it's back to peace, quiet and tranquility again.
Not that it's ever busy where I am, if I see more than 6 cars a day go by my backroad, then that's a traffic jam here.
Anyway I think you need to chalk up 5 posts before being able to access the PM facility on here, maybe the Mods can confirm ?
Then possibly I can give you a little more info. that may be of some help.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

hiya again

Yep we are kind of between Godelleta, Turis, Bunol, Chiva and Alborache. Turis is the closest but as I say it's a 40 minute walk to get there, back a little longer as it's all uphill! Shopping, we try and stock up as much as possible before hubby goes back to work, but we usually try and walk to Turis every other day for fresh items, and to stock back up on juice and pop as the kids haven't got used to rationing it yet.
We are renting for now, 11 month renewable with the option to buy ... we love our little house, the land and the area so are not too eager to move providing we can start to pick up the language and sort the kids out with some sort of education, although I am beginning to think I need to get a moped licence so I can just nip down the road on hotter days or in the winter ... from what I've read it's not that hard to do providing I can speak Spanish for the theory test - problem!

From what I've seen there are no buses that run from the main road near ours into Turis, never seen one yet, but there are buses in Turis that run to Valencia and Bunol. I'm hoping to find a taxi service so that I can go do a weekly shop in the warmer weather rather than trundling the kids down there every other day - but we'll see how that goes.

Samantha
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:08 pm
On the road again.

hiya again

Yep we are kind of between Godelleta, Turis, Bunol, Chiva and Alborache. Turis is the closest but as I say it's a 40 minute walk to get there, back a little longer as it's all uphill! Shopping, we try and stock up as much as possible before hubby goes back to work, but we usually try and walk to Turis every other day for fresh items, and to stock back up on juice and pop as the kids haven't got used to rationing it yet.
We are renting for now, 11 month renewable with the option to buy ... we love our little house, the land and the area so are not too eager to move providing we can start to pick up the language and sort the kids out with some sort of education, although I am beginning to think I need to get a moped licence so I can just nip down the road on hotter days or in the winter ... from what I've read it's not that hard to do providing I can speak Spanish for the theory test - problem!

From what I've seen there are no buses that run from the main road near ours into Turis, never seen one yet, but there are buses in Turis that run to Valencia and Bunol. I'm hoping to find a taxi service so that I can go do a weekly shop in the warmer weather rather than trundling the kids down there every other day - but we'll see how that goes.

Samantha
OK on that, well I do know that road up from Turis, so at least it will be keeping you all fit. However when the temperature starts to lift up through the 30s and even to 40 which it likely soon will, I think you'll really be struggling.
Wonder if you have aircon, though I think it's best to make do with fans if possible so it's not such a huge contrast when you go outdoors in mid-summer.
I feel the same way about my little place here, where I've been on and off for close on ten years. Wouldn't swap it for the World or the fantastic Spanish neighbours to boot, nearest Brit I know is about 2 km away, however I don't know how I'd make out without my own transport, though as you say at least it's not a permanent situation for you.
For things like fruit juice I find Lidl very cheap, I know there's a one at Chiva and I think also Bunol.
Bet your kids will enjoy the Tomatina up there later in the Summer.
As I said if you're down in my direction there's a choice of 3 supermarkets, a big new Mercadona, a Consum slightly better quality,possibly a shade dearer and also a Dia.
Anyway if you acknowledge this post that should take your post score up to 5 and then I'll be able to PM (private message) you a couple of names and numbers which may be of some help.
Regards, D.D.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ever so much for all your help ... it's greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:04 pm
On the road again.

Thanks ever so much for all your help ... it's greatly appreciated.
Sent you a PM.
Regards D.D.