Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any advice appreciated

Any advice appreciated

Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Darren2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice appreciated

This has become a little bit of a concern. What I had previously read was that everyone would be happy to speak Castillian if that was the language you were most comfortable with. I'm starting to think Madrid might be a better option for the longer term (I'm not aware of any regional dialect there). Does anyone have any recommendations for where might be the best place to find work once I'm up to a reasonable level of fluency. I'd rather not be in too much of a sunny version of Britain type environments where its all expats and holidaymakers. This is why I'd probably prefer a large city such as Madrid etc but need to know if work is readily available.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Darren2010
This has become a little bit of a concern. What I had previously read was that everyone would be happy to speak Castillian if that was the language you were most comfortable with. I'm starting to think Madrid might be a better option for the longer term (I'm not aware of any regional dialect there). Does anyone have any recommendations for where might be the best place to find work once I'm up to a reasonable level of fluency. I'd rather not be in too much of a sunny version of Britain type environments where its all expats and holidaymakers. This is why I'd probably prefer a large city such as Madrid etc but need to know if work is readily available.
Darren

Didn't mean to put you off Barcelona. We had a long weekend there a couple of years ago and it is a wonderful City, everything is walking distance, if you are reasonably fit or there are buses and a great underground system. From Las Ramblas you can walk to a lovely beaches or to parks.

In fact our experience was that when we tried to use Spanish, the 'WE ARE ENGLISH' sign we have must tattooed on our foreheads ensured everyone spoke to us in English!!! Very frustrating. And embarrassing.... My son who went on a school trip to improve his Spanish found the same thing. Very hard to practise. Having said that you would probably need Spanish (and/or possibly Catalan) to work I suppose. It is only that property prices around Barcelona are out of our range, and the winters can be cold that sent us further south.

Spain is a big country, take your time and visit some of the larger towns, if that is what you want, you will find people very welcoming and helpful I am sure, the Spanish are lovely people generally.

My sister has recently moved to Albacete and absolutely loves it.

Susique
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:44 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by susique
Oh dear, Tim Horton's Man! Surely you learned how to ask for a beer first???
'Una cerveza frio (cold) grande (large) por favor' should do the trick.

Susique
I have to admit I'm abit of a German beer snob, I tried few Spanish beers and didn't really like them, that and the fact the place we first stayed at near Sol has a great Jazz club, the owner spoke great English and happened to have a great selection of German and Belgium beers. So as you can see i haven't had the need to learn it yet.

Sounds a lot like the Pre Rene Leveque time in Quebec when French was spoken only by the working class and the poor. After coming to power he banned English in all advertising strorefronts etc, changed the law to make French compulsory unless both parents were Anglophones etc. In the intervening 30 years French has gone from the language of the working class to an establish language to the point that being bilingual is an required in business.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Darren2010
.... Although all catalan speakers will also speak Castellan (i think thats the right term for the most common form of Spanish) that couldn't be said the other way around therefore if I learn Castellan I will presumably be able to speak with any Spaniards. ....
Ok, I'll be pedantic ... Castellano. Other than that I would agree with the sentiment that two languages in one go are tough enough, so best go with the more universal.

PS. it's Una cerveza fria ... feminine, though I have yet to come across warm beer in a Spanish bar
Old Apr 8th 2006, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Darren2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Suzique you needn't think you've put me off Barcelona, the language school I am interested in using have courses in either Barcelona or Salamanca. I'm not looking at coming out until April 2007 and so do intend to have a holiday in June this year when I intend visiting Madrid and Salamanca to see what it is like there. The main reason I had originally thought of Barcelona as my destination was having been last year it is definately my favourite city Ive ever visited (worldwide not just Spain). Salamanca does have its attractions, being very much cheaper than Barcelona, and after the course when I'm (hopefully) speaking Spanish I could then rethink where I settle permanently this depending on where the work was.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

PULULA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!! You will find a job better in barcelona speaking english than spanish. They speak catalan over there!!!!!
Old May 15th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susique
Oh dear, Tim Horton's Man! Surely you learned how to ask for a beer first???
'Una cerveza frio (cold) grande (large) por favor' should do the trick.Susique

wow.. you can get a large beer thats NOT cold ? where ?

"dame una cerveza grande porfavor..." will suffice. no need to add the frio bit.

and to the original poster...good luck.