Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-social behaviour

Originally Posted by cricketman
I didnt actually think crime was that bad in the UK, but seems I was wrong.
Just goes to show how statistics can be manipulated to prove anything you like. I looked up the Economist Pocket World in Figures (2007) - one of the few sources of statistics I have any confidence in. It lists the UK has having 9,767 recorded crimes per 100,000 of population - so that's slightly higher than these figures. However, the number itself is utterly without meaning.
On the one hand you could argue that the UK is a hotbed of crime - along with New Zealand and Finland (obviously two of the world's most dangerous places - NOT , as evidenced by the number of times Ross Kemp has been filmed there.
Alternatively it might just mean that more people in those countries go to the effort of reporting crimes to the police - or just that the police go to the trouble of writing them down (as these are only recorded crimes, not solved ones.) rather than just completely ignoring the complainant and going back to watching the staff-room telly.

Last edited by pete_l; Mar 16th 2010 at 7:35 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I agree with that, it always pays to be caution, and I dont frequent "low place"......................much
(unless flytipping bags of clothes, eh)

Indeed it would appear civilian staff have the prerogative to decide (in certain ?? circumstances) which reports are crimes; so even if they look up from their soap they needn't necessarily end up making a report on whatever it was.

ref Barcelona, just a further word it's not only 'fat americans wearing plaid & waving cash' -yes cliche stereotype etc., it's meant to be - who get robbed. My oh was grabbed by the ankles on the metro, unable to do anything in the microsecond it took him to realise what was happening & his (safly stashed, or so he thought) wallet taken from a deep pocket. We were wearing normal autumn/winter clothes, not carrying tourist books, just being Mr & Mrs Average.

Ref Economist, I'd be interested to know if you had a copy because I couldn't get in to use it online (something else) about a week ago. Is there a way of doing that?

It always amazes me how much people blame the press. 1. Generally, with the only exceptions I can think of being 'advertorials' and press barons' political shenanigans, the press print what will sell papers. So if we didn't choose the papers by the front page/content, they would soon stop publishing the stuff. 2. Why believe a country is dangerous just because you see stories in the paper? If where you live seems ok it probably is. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...........
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Somone having their spade stolen from the shed might be classed as a crime in the uk.
And as someone pointed out, a lot of crime along the coastal touristy strips in Spain is never reported. You're on holiday, you have no intention of hanging around a police station all day waiting for police that have no interest whatsoever in your crime. Most choose instead to get on with their holiday. Personally I have been a victim of crime twice, but never bothered reporting either, knowing it would be a complete waste of time. If someone had stolen your wallet/camera/watch you might report it to get a crime number for insurance purposes, but if a hire car, rented villa etc is broken into, and you suffer no personal loss, it's never worth the hassle.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:49 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
And as someone pointed out, a lot of crime along the coastal touristy strips in Spain is never reported. You're on holiday, you have no intention of hanging around a police station all day waiting for police that have no interest whatsoever in your crime. Most choose instead to get on with their holiday. Personally I have been a victim of crime twice, but never bothered reporting either, knowing it would be a complete waste of time. If someone had stolen your wallet/camera/watch you might report it to get a crime number for insurance purposes, but if a hire car, rented villa etc is broken into, and you suffer no personal loss, it's never worth the hassle.
I came across a lot of this when I was in Benidorm, people either took this attitude or didn´t report it due to the language barrier. I'd imagine there's a lot of "petty" crime that never gets reported.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I came across a lot of this when I was in Benidorm, people either took this attitude or didn´t report it due to the language barrier. I'd imagine there's a lot of "petty" crime that never gets reported.
Ironically this is why tourists are targeted, because so many dont report the crime.

I had my wallet stolen recently in Lisbon and reported it for those reasons. Only took an hour and made me feel better.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

An excellent point regarding the likely difference between the number of reported crimes.
In addition to the number of tourists not reporting thefts, I wonder what the figures are for the resident Spanish.
For instance in the UK I'd be willing to bet that its only a very tiny percentage of the population who don't insure their homes and contents.
I would doubt that the percentage insured in Spain is quite so high,.... and if so then little incentive to report crime in many cases.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Ironically this is why tourists are targeted, because so many dont report the crime.

I had my wallet stolen recently in Lisbon and reported it for those reasons. Only took an hour and made me feel better.
Sometimes it is not feasible to report the crime while on holiday, these thefts often happen on the way home around the airport or when returning a hire car.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Tomato-Tomatoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my own little snippet to the topic, I don't feel any safer here than I ever did in the UK (though it was 8years ago!).

As a recent reference for you, just before Christmas past, I was driving at the speed limit along the motorway here when a young Spanish (or Morrocan perhaps) idiot proceeded to drive up my arse. I inflicted my usual (admittedly childish and silly in the moment) response of tapping my brakes to let him know I was not impressed, only to have him race alongside my car moments later, wave a knife in my face by leaning across and out the window whilst simultaneously trying to run me off the road. Oh and he had a young girl in the back of his car, whilst I had my 11month old baby and my 12yr old son in the back.

The next day I realised he lived on my community. No words were ever exchanged, but it just goes to show, you think you live somewhere nice amongst nice enough people....

Oh and to curb it off as a happy ending, over the last few months he has written off 2 cars and his latest one broke down. He has now thankfully moved on to pastures new. Who say's there is no such thing as Karma?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:00 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tomato-Tomatoe
Just to add my own little snippet to the topic, I don't feel any safer here than I ever did in the UK (though it was 8years ago!).

As a recent reference for you, just before Christmas past, I was driving at the speed limit along the motorway here when a young Spanish (or Morrocan perhaps) idiot proceeded to drive up my arse. I inflicted my usual (admittedly childish and silly in the moment) response of tapping my brakes to let him know I was not impressed, only to have him race alongside my car moments later, wave a knife in my face by leaning across and out the window whilst simultaneously trying to run me off the road. Oh and he had a young girl in the back of his car, whilst I had my 11month old baby and my 12yr old son in the back.
The next day I realised he lived on my community. No words were ever exchanged, but it just goes to show, you think you live somewhere nice amongst nice enough people....

Oh and to curb it off as a happy ending, over the last few months he has written off 2 cars and his latest one broke down. He has now thankfully moved on to pastures new. Who say's there is no such thing as Karma?
Sounds like my regular drive home from work in the UK.
I'M JOKING.. Or am I
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:37 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agoreira
Hola, bienvenida.
I understand there is strict legislation there regarding the ownership of "perros peligosos", much stricter than UK, (and that's a good thing) but surely that's not true to say there are no dangerous dogs in Spain. A quick google throws of load of articles about the increasing number of these dogs in Spain.

Bilbao registra un ‘boom’ de perros peligrosos y hay 469
En 2007, el censo creció un 36% con 124 nuevos canes.

Hay el doble de perros peligrosos registrados que hace ocho años
* Pit bull y bull dog son las razas que están de moda.

Málaga ya tiene censados casi 600 perros peligrosos
Desde 2002, cada año se inscriben una media de 85 canes en el registro municipal. La raza favorita en la ciudad es Rottwailer, seguida de los Pittbull.
What does this word mean? peligosos..?
I must admit I've never heard of a Rottwailer.. Do they spell it differently in Spain.?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:29 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
What does this word mean? peligosos..?
I must admit I've never heard of a Rottwailer.. Do they spell it differently in Spain.?
IMO, describing them as dangerous dogs gives them a cachet that appeals to the inadequate and small minded.

I think that it would help if these dogs were more accurately described as 'Tiny penis dogs'.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
IMO, describing them as dangerous dogs gives them a cachet that appeals to the inadequate and small minded.

I think that it would help if these dogs were more accurately described as 'Tiny penis dogs'.

I want to vote for bil as PM!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:32 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by bil

In the UK I used to buy the big issue when I was out and about. Not everyday but now and then.
One day I was in Manchester and was walking past a big issue seller who had a 'Tiny penis dog'. It was a pit bull. I was thinking, when I come back this way I will buy one off him as I had to get to a hospital appointment. The young man smiled and beckoned me over. As I got to him he said "Buy a big issue or I'll set me dog on ya" I nervously laughed and said I would get one in a bit. He then made the dog start snarling and barking at me and told me to buy one. I managed to get a pound out and take one of his magazines. It wasn't easy as I don't like big snarling untrained pets handled by prats.
Around the corner I found a copper, I told him my story and pointed out the fool with the dog. We approached the man and the copper made him give me back my pound, I made my excuses and headed off leaving the man to get told off. Waving at him with my Big Issue. I gave the pound to a tramp outside McDonalds.
I can't stand these people that think just because they have a "Danger Dog" that they have to try and enforce it on people. I have a police friend with a Rotty that he uses in the force, it is soft as a fluffy bunny. (Unless he tells it you're a criminal)
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spanish expat
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am Spanish (from Valencia) and I lived in the UK for 8 years. I live now in Barcelona and I must say that one of the few reasons I am happy to be back is that I definitely feel safer on the streets here. I, as a woman would not think to go out at night on my own in the UK, not even in safe little Oxford where I was based. There is a great amount of hate and bitterness on the streets in the UK for some reason. That is how I have experienced it.
In Barcelona I go out onto the beach on my own at 10,11,12 at night and there are plenty of people around, the streets are well lighted up (unlike the UK ones), there are all kind of people having walks (not only hoddies or drunks) and people are out generally to have a good time and not looking for trouble. Unlike the UK you don´t need to avoid passing by a group of young kinds sitting on a bench, they are problaby just chatting and playing with their mobile phones or singing and dancing, and if you make eye contact they will problaby say buenas noches to you (I was one of those). Spain is not perfect and I believe that the crime has gone up hugely in the last few years but I still don´t see any antisocial behaviour. My boyfriend from the midlands is quite amazed at how peacefull people are even in a city like Barcelona. Also there are no dangerous dogs here because there are so much legislation and rules about owning one that it simply makes it not worth it, so don´t have to worry about one coming around the corner to bite your head off. You should still visit first anyway and consider all other aspects of living here many of which will make your life considerably more difficult than in the UK. M
I had to go with English people to translate when they were making their two rottweilers legal and had to take a psychological test to see if they were suitable owners. We were handed a questionaire which ran to three pages and studied it while waiting to be seen. When we finally saw the relevant person and he discovered they were English, he stamped the paper saying that they didn't need to answer the questions as the English were famous for being dog lovers. So much for strict regulations. I wonder how many questions they ask spanish hunters.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
I had to go with English people to translate when they were making their two rottweilers legal and had to take a psychological test to see if they were suitable owners. We were handed a questionaire which ran to three pages and studied it while waiting to be seen. When we finally saw the relevant person and he discovered they were English, he stamped the paper saying that they didn't need to answer the questions as the English were famous for being dog lovers. So much for strict regulations. I wonder how many questions they ask spanish hunters.
Maybe Spain has better legislation than the UK regarding chipping of dogs and registration etc.,however my guess is that there is a very large percentage of Spanish dogs that remain unchipped or not registered as they should be.
When such a dog does some damage or attacks someone it is then easy for the owner to simply say its not my dog, and probably no action can be taken against him or her.
Like Elspeth I also often wonder if any regular checks are done regarding the hunting dogs,whether or not they are all chipped and records kept of what happens to them, as should be the case by law,... or does the law just simply turn a blind eye to all the problems these so called hunters cause?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.