Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:53 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-social behaviour

Originally Posted by HBG
The Guardia Civil, Bil, my Danish neighbours and the rest of the world all told me to keep the house locked when having a siesta, and it makes sense.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I hate having a siesta with all the grills locked. It’s bad enough having all those grills in the first place, and I’ve got those old fashioned, clunky ones that stick out, but when they’re all locked I feel like a rat in a cage.

I only lock them at night, during the day I rely on the Dobe and it’s worked for seven, safe years now.
Fair enough, but as they say, it only needs to happen once, and we could be reading about you as an ex-expat.

Hindsight too....
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

I have lived in Spain for 17 years and was burgled once in Oliva by my gypsy neighbours who were a problem family and moved shortly afterwards. My next neighbours also gypsies were very friendly but they had an enormous cannabis plantation on their patio which my roof terrace overlooked and my cat used to get stoned when it chewed the leaves. When I was selling my house I asked them to cover their crop so as not to put off my potential buyers which they kindly did. The only anti-social behaviour I have encountered in Spain was caused by the Brits and their excessive drinking and swearing and I'm talking grandaddies here not youngsters. The Spanish neighbours who had to get up early to go to work used to phone the police. I luckily was able to move from Oliva to my inland paradise. elspeth
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:33 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
I have lived in Spain for 17 years and was burgled once in Oliva by my gypsy neighbours who were a problem family and moved shortly afterwards. My next neighbours also gypsies were very friendly but they had an enormous cannabis plantation on their patio which my roof terrace overlooked and my cat used to get stoned when it chewed the leaves. When I was selling my house I asked them to cover their crop so as not to put off my potential buyers which they kindly did. The only anti-social behaviour I have encountered in Spain was caused by the Brits and their excessive drinking and swearing and I'm talking grandaddies here not youngsters. The Spanish neighbours who had to get up early to go to work used to phone the police. I luckily was able to move from Oliva to my inland paradise. elspeth

Shades of 'Fat Freddy's Cat'.

I wonder if it was better than catnip? Also, from the way you used to describe it, it wasn't a once off event, so perhaps the cat got a taste for it. Did it get the munchies?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Yes to everything it staggered around a lot but did not show any anti-social behaviour. Elspeth
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:41 pm
bil
Banned

Yes to everything it staggered around a lot but did not show any anti-social behaviour. Elspeth
OK, so that could be pretty funny. I thought it was quite charming that your neighbouring gypsies went to such trouble to cover the crop for you.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
OK, so that could be pretty funny. I thought it was quite charming that your neighbouring gypsies went to such trouble to cover the crop for you.
Not really I told them that a prospective buyer was a detective from the drug squad in Madrid. A white lie I'm afraid.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:25 pm
bil
Banned

Not really I told them that a prospective buyer was a detective from the drug squad in Madrid. A white lie I'm afraid.
Love it.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Spanish expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anti-social behaviour

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am Spanish (from Valencia) and I lived in the UK for 8 years. I live now in Barcelona and I must say that one of the few reasons I am happy to be back is that I definitely feel safer on the streets here. I, as a woman would not think to go out at night on my own in the UK, not even in safe little Oxford where I was based. There is a great amount of hate and bitterness on the streets in the UK for some reason. That is how I have experienced it.
In Barcelona I go out onto the beach on my own at 10,11,12 at night and there are plenty of people around, the streets are well lighted up (unlike the UK ones), there are all kind of people having walks (not only hoddies or drunks) and people are out generally to have a good time and not looking for trouble. Unlike the UK you don´t need to avoid passing by a group of young kinds sitting on a bench, they are problaby just chatting and playing with their mobile phones or singing and dancing, and if you make eye contact they will problaby say buenas noches to you (I was one of those). Spain is not perfect and I believe that the crime has gone up hugely in the last few years but I still don´t see any antisocial behaviour. My boyfriend from the midlands is quite amazed at how peacefull people are even in a city like Barcelona. Also there are no dangerous dogs here because there are so much legislation and rules about owning one that it simply makes it not worth it, so don´t have to worry about one coming around the corner to bite your head off. You should still visit first anyway and consider all other aspects of living here many of which will make your life considerably more difficult than in the UK. M
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spanish expat
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am Spanish (from Valencia) and I lived in the UK for 8 years. I live now in Barcelona and I must say that one of the few reasons I am happy to be back is that I definitely feel safer on the streets here. I, as a woman would not think to go out at night on my own in the UK, not even in safe little Oxford where I was based. There is a great amount of hate and bitterness on the streets in the UK for some reason. That is how I have experienced it.
In Barcelona I go out onto the beach on my own at 10,11,12 at night and there are plenty of people around, the streets are well lighted up (unlike the UK ones), there are all kind of people having walks (not only hoddies or drunks) and people are out generally to have a good time and not looking for trouble. Unlike the UK you don´t need to avoid passing by a group of young kinds sitting on a bench, they are problaby just chatting and playing with their mobile phones or singing and dancing, and if you make eye contact they will problaby say buenas noches to you (I was one of those). Spain is not perfect and I believe that the crime has gone up hugely in the last few years but I still don´t see any antisocial behaviour. My boyfriend from the midlands is quite amazed at how peacefull people are even in a city like Barcelona. Also there are no dangerous dogs here because there are so much legislation and rules about owning one that it simply makes it not worth it, so don´t have to worry about one coming around the corner to bite your head off. You should still visit first anyway and consider all other aspects of living here many of which will make your life considerably more difficult than in the UK. M
Hi Spanishexpat and welcome to the forum

My wife and I are in a similar position to you guys; we moved from London to BCN a few years ago and are now living in Málaga. My wife is Spanish (Asturian).

Just to say I totally agree, the first thing I noticed when we moved to Barcelona was how happy the children and dogs were. Children and teenagers in particular are completely included in Spanish society while in Britain they tend to be excluded and treated as an alien species. I think this leads to many British adults with emotional problems.

Btw, I am constantly ridiculed for having positive opinions about Spain on this forum. I hope you are not treated the same way

Last edited by cricketman; Mar 16th 2010 at 2:15 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Btw, I am constantly ridiculed for having positive opinions about Spain on this forum.
Nothig wrong with being positive, it's great you find everything great there, but it always creases me when you tell us about happy dogs in Spain! As you are comparing with UK, I take it that makes UK dogs unhappy. Be positive by all means, but it just strikes me as a very silly statement. I bet there are thousands of very unhappy galgos (some 50,000?)that meet an untimely end at the end of every season. They haven't got a lot to smile about.
http://www.20minutos.es/carta/613945...a/galgos/caza/
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spanish expat
Also there are no dangerous dogs here because there are so much legislation and rules about owning one that it simply makes it not worth it,
Hola, bienvenida.
I understand there is strict legislation there regarding the ownership of "perros peligosos", much stricter than UK, (and that's a good thing) but surely that's not true to say there are no dangerous dogs in Spain. A quick google throws of load of articles about the increasing number of these dogs in Spain.

Bilbao registra un ‘boom’ de perros peligrosos y hay 469
En 2007, el censo creció un 36% con 124 nuevos canes.

Hay el doble de perros peligrosos registrados que hace ocho años
* Pit bull y bull dog son las razas que están de moda.

Málaga ya tiene censados casi 600 perros peligrosos
Desde 2002, cada año se inscriben una media de 85 canes en el registro municipal. La raza favorita en la ciudad es Rottwailer, seguida de los Pittbull.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:54 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That's just the ones who have bothered to register. I haven't been afraid of any dogs in Spain but I wouldn't exactly describe the dogs roaming the streets and campo "happy dogs"

Anti-social behaviour, I don't know much about Barcelona as have only spent the odd week-end there but it has a horrendous reputation on tourist forums for street crime. Locally an 11 year old girl was badly burned last week when a petrol bomb was thrown by some youths in a Málaga park. A different kind of behaviour happened early today

http://www.diariosur.es/20100316/loc...003161038.html
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Nothig wrong with being positive, it's great you find everything great there, but it always creases me when you tell us about happy dogs in Spain! As you are comparing with UK, I take it that makes UK dogs unhappy. Be positive by all means, but it just strikes me as a very silly statement. I bet there are thousands of very unhappy galgos (some 50,000?)that meet an untimely end at the end of every season. They haven't got a lot to smile about.
http://www.20minutos.es/carta/613945...a/galgos/caza/
Yes well the observation is meant to be slightly humourous, it's just I remember on one of my first days in Barcelona walking down Passeig San Joan in Barcelona and seeing all the children and dogs going for a walk in the sunshine with their families and thinking that. And nothing I've seen or discussed since has contradicted that thought.

I rarely agree with people's opinions on Spaniards on here. Maybe it is because many of the British expats live in poor inland Andalucian, Murcian or Valencian villiages and were kind of thrown in at the deep-end. Something I have no experience of.

Plus there is a tendency for people to make judgements on whole nationalities based on a few experiences with individuals. There are unfriendly and incompetant nurses, mechanics, lawyers, estate agents in Spain just as there are in Britain.

I know people on the CDS who for example go to the dentists and then comment "oh the Spanish nurse was horrible to us"; well, what has her being Spanish got to do with it? There are unpleasant people everywhere, especially if they are having a bad day and are struggling to understand you but to constantly comment on nationality after every experience is nothing more than biggoted.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes well the observation is meant to be slightly humourous, it's just I remember on one of my first days in Barcelona walking down Passeig San Joan in Barcelona and seeing all the children and dogs going for a walk in the sunshine with their families and thinking that. And nothing I've seen or discussed since has contradicted that thought.

I rarely agree with people's opinions on Spaniards on here. Maybe it is because many of the British expats live in poor inland Andalucian, Murcian or Valencian villiages and were kind of thrown in at the deep-end. Something I have no experience of.

Plus there is a tendency for people to make judgements on whole nationalities based on a few experiences with individuals. There are unfriendly and incompetant nurses, mechanics, lawyers, estate agents in Spain just as there are in Britain.

I know people on the CDS who for example go to the dentists and then comment "oh the Spanish nurse was horrible to us"; well, what has her being Spanish got to do with it? There are unpleasant people everywhere, especially if they are having a bad day and are struggling to understand you but to constantly comment on nationality after every experience is nothing more than biggoted

Crikey , I actually agree with you for once
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
That's just the ones who have bothered to register. I haven't been afraid of any dogs in Spain but I wouldn't exactly describe the dogs roaming the streets and campo "happy dogs"

Anti-social behaviour, I don't know much about Barcelona as have only spent the odd week-end there but it has a horrendous reputation on tourist forums for street crime. Locally an 11 year old girl was badly burned last week when a petrol bomb was thrown by some youths in a Málaga park. A different kind of behaviour happened early today

http://www.diariosur.es/20100316/loc...003161038.html
There are no street dogs in Barcelona. Again this comes from you living in the campo.

I dont know why you keep highlighting individual crimes, what does that show? Absolutely nothing. I lived in Barcelona for 2 years, it is an incredibly safe city. You see young people and women walking on their own at any time of day with no fear.

In the major tourist areas, tourists are robbed because they are sitting ducks waving around their wallets, bags and expensive cameras. If you dont look like a tourist you most likely wont get robbed.

Spain is a safe country. As someone who watches the Spanish news and reads the papers I'm sure you saw the latest crime figures that showed another drop in crime and that Spain consistently rates as one of the safest countries in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.