Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:05 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-social behaviour

Originally Posted by cricketman
For christ sake. You'd prevent your child from having their freedom and fun because of a tiny amount of paedophilia cases. Now THAT is child abuse.

People should get a reality check. These cases are so rare that whenever there is a case it makes the front page of the papers in whatever country.

Anyway, paedophiles are very unlikely to be strangers, they are usually fathers or uncles.
Paedophiles arent just the issue tho are they, in fact that has never been something that has been in the front of my mind, getting run over or falling of their bikes and the like have been my main worries. There are dangers from all manner of things and the younger the kid, the less able they maybe to deal with such things!??

Jo xxx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Call_me_Trev is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback folks, really appreciate it, and it's been interesting reading all your posts.

My experience and viewpoint on anti-social behaviour is this. Myself, and my partner have lived and now live in nice enough areas, but have suffered from incidents of anti-social behaviour. Nothing major, but potentially who knows what each incident could have lead to? This is what worries me. Each one could potentially be like the case with Gary Newlove (the chap who was killed in Cheshire when he approached a gang of youths who had just caused damage to his property). But what are you supposed to do? You go out to them, you risk it escalating to violence? Or the frustrating thing, where you end up getting done yourself, because let's face it, you were minding your own and getting on with your own lives before these toerags popped up. The authorities/law in the UK sometimes seem more worried about them than it does the victims. Just wondered if anyone felt it was the same like that over in Spain?

As for issue about allowing children their amount of freedom, I think the main concern for a lot of people in the UK now, is not so much stranger-danger (though obviously, you still have to be aware), but harm coming from their fellow piers. For example, those two lads that were set on near Doncaster, where the one nearly died. And it's more riskier for you as you go into your teens. The way I see it, is there's a lot of kid-on-kid attacks here.

Jo, you raised an interesting point earlier about families going out in the evening. To me, that sounds bliss, where the culture here is different - town centres become adult zones, like you said, and even though there are some restaurants around with play-areas etc, I generally think the culture here is to keep the kids back home, whilst you go out.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Someone said they are perfectly happy for their 8 yr old to run around, I wouldn't in any country. Spain has pedos you know, least one a month in the papers!
Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Paedophiles arent just the issue tho are they, in fact that has never been something that has been in the front of my mind, getting run over or falling of their bikes and the like have been my main worries. There are dangers from all manner of things and the younger the kid, the less able they maybe to deal with such things!??
Jo xxx
'twas I, and I'm unrepentant either for doing or admitting. Maybe the fact we live in 'deep campo' makes earshot rather further from home, and the fact that neighbours - Spanish, of course - can (and have) pick up said 8yo dust him off & start carting him home complete with grazed knees & a can of coke to cheer him up......

Originally Posted by Call_me_Trev
(snip) Jo, you raised an interesting point earlier about families going out in the evening. To me, that sounds bliss, where the culture here is different - town centres become adult zones, like you said, and even though there are some restaurants around with play-areas etc, I generally think the culture here is to keep the kids back home, whilst you go out.
I think there's a slight double edged sword on that one, not everyone likes going out to find themselves surrounded by nippers at all hours of the night. I think it's lovely to see extended family sharing chit chat with every generation at the one table. Not totally convinced brilliant table manners & respect for dining establishments comes with the territory mind you, but nonetheless it's something you barely if ever saw in our neck of the woods in the UK when we were last all there - in fact we were talking about just this only a week ago. Probably because of job mobility & split families, etc.
ps for us leaving the kid back home is actually better for all concerned, because with his Spanish babysitter he actually gets Spanish in the home which is something he wouldn't otherwise have.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:36 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Call_me_Trev;8399551]Thanks for the feedback folks, really appreciate it, and it's been interesting reading all your posts.

My experience and viewpoint on anti-social behaviour is this. Myself, and my partner have lived and now live in nice enough areas, but have suffered from incidents of anti-social behaviour. Nothing major, but potentially who knows what each incident could have lead to? This is what worries me. Each one could potentially be like the case with Gary Newlove (the chap who was killed in Cheshire when he approached a gang of youths who had just caused damage to his property). But what are you supposed to do? You go out to them, you risk it escalating to violence? Or the frustrating thing, where you end up getting done yourself, because let's face it, you were minding your own and getting on with your own lives before these toerags popped up. The authorities/law in the UK sometimes seem more worried about them than it does the victims. Just wondered if anyone felt it was the same like that over in Spain?

As for issue about allowing children their amount of freedom, I think the main concern for a lot of people in the UK now, is not so much stranger-danger (though obviously, you still have to be aware), but harm coming from their fellow piers. For example, those two lads that were set on near Doncaster, where the one nearly died. And it's more riskier for you as you go into your teens. The way I see it, is there's a lot of kid-on-kid attacks here.

Jo, you raised an interesting point earlier about families going out in the evening. To me, that sounds bliss, where the culture here is different - town centres become adult zones, like you said, and even though there are some restaurants around with play-areas etc, I generally think the culture here is to keep the kids back home, whilst you go out.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you are saying, but another slant can be put on the adults taking kids with them on nights out etc.

From the time I can remember I always went to the local bar and restaurants with my parents in Galicia.
Then we went to live in England, we (the family) could not believe the variety of things to do in the UK, for adults and children together.
Our theory behind all the leisure facilities, zoos, amusement parks, bowling alleys etc, was that as children were not allowed in pubs, something had to be made so that families could go out for the day together. Hence the wide choice of activities.
In Galicia (I am not speaking for the rest of Spain, but Galicia is typical of a lot of regions) it was so easy to take the kids into the bar every day, so although there were high days and holidays, most of them involved a coke in the local.
There were parades and things, but no money was invested in facilities for families to go for a day out.
Not being able to take kids into pubsin the UK (not the case now, of course) made parents work harder to "amuse" their children and take them to special places, hence all the facilities were born.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 6th 2010 at 5:50 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think there's a slight double edged sword on that one, not everyone likes going out to find themselves surrounded by nippers at all hours of the night.
Agree, and you don't have to be a Victor Meldrew to want to enjoy a quiet drink sometimes without someone's little darling running riot!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, and you don't have to be a Victor Meldrew to want to enjoy a quiet drink sometimes without someone's little darling running riot!

You do see some really annoying little kids while out for a meal or drink in Spaish bars. I used to be one myself........
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:14 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Just like to say hello to everyone as I have just joined. Still living in the UK, and have never actually been to Spain, but am very interested to hear other people's accounts of living over there. Am keeping an open mind for the future though.

As much as I love the UK, there are certain aspects, which I hate, for example, anti-social behaviour, which seems to be getting worse. You daren't think about approaching these characters now as you dread to think what could happen.

What I would be interested to know, does this go on the same scale in Spain? Talking here of kids on street corners being rowdy, harrassment, vandalism to parked cars, property etc? Do you ever walk the streets in fear? Is there more respect over there?

Apologies in advance if this topic's already been covered.
Hi Trev.
IMO no it is nothing like the UK, and this was "one" of the reasons for leaving.
We came from London originally & to here from a small Kent village, I have travelled the UK to most places & know a lot of them very well (just for background)
Where we live is a village of 2000 (ish) and have never seen what you dislike, we have travelled a bit in Spain and have never seen it yet.

So as far as we are concerned its vastly better & we now do not even think about the issue.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Hi Trev.
IMO no it is nothing like the UK, and this was "one" of the reasons for leaving.
We came from London originally & to here from a small Kent village, I have travelled the UK to most places & know a lot of them very well (just for background)
Where we live is a village of 2000 (ish) and have never seen what you dislike, we have travelled a bit in Spain and have never seen it yet.

So as far as we are concerned its vastly better & we now do not even think about the issue.
There are large groups of teenagers who hang out on the streets in Arroyo de la Miel. And while I do not condone their dress sense - they look like complete pikeys to me and my OH , they always seem to be having a good time and are not agressive at all.

I have no problems walking through their group on the way to somewhere.

Btw, I had never seen Spanish teenagers dress like this before I came to the CDS
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG
You’ve asked for it Jacky, and I don’t want to put anyone off, but this begs to be told.

On Easter Friday, 2003, on a sunny afternoon, my wife and I and our little dog (we got the Doberman a week later) were all having a siesta when two giant Berbers climbed over our low, ornate garden wall (it’s now two metres high) and walked into our open house.

I woke to see a giant Berber with three of my wife’s handbags over his arm. There was a scuffle in the house, in the garden and then in the street. A Danish neighbour called the police who arrived just as I was climbing over the wall to get back into my garden, the Berbers having run away.

I was so pleased to see the two Guardia Civil until I saw that they were pointing their revolvers directly at me. I was only wearing socks and underpants and my hands were covered in blood, but I had the good sense to put them up and felt a right prick.

They got the Berbers a few weeks later, but not without a fight and one of the burglars was shot dead.

I hope I haven’t put anyone off from coming to this beautiful, peaceful country.
What nationality are giant Berbers?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
What nationality are giant Berbers?
They are Northern African, usually Moroccan or Algerian

I was wondering how HBG knew they were Berbers, given that they tend to be light skinned and quite European in appearance e.g. the footballers Zinedine Zidane or Samir Nasri.

Maybe they were speaking Arabic
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:09 pm
Banned

I was wondering how HBG knew they were Berbers, given that they tend to be light skinned and quite European in appearance e.g. the footballers Zinedine Zidane or Samir Nasri.

I thought they were the ones that lived on Wimbledon common, but then I remembered that they are the Wombles.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points.

1. Stranger danger is greatly overrated. What's the figure? 95% of such assults are from someone known to the victim or in the family?

2. The lesson here from the Berbers is, siesta with the gate and house locked.

I had a lovely pair of Berber skinks once.....
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:34 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Just like to say hello to everyone as I have just joined. Still living in the UK, and have never actually been to Spain, but am very interested to hear other people's accounts of living over there. Am keeping an open mind for the future though.

As much as I love the UK, there are certain aspects, which I hate, for example, anti-social behaviour, which seems to be getting worse. You daren't think about approaching these characters now as you dread to think what could happen.

What I would be interested to know, does this go on the same scale in Spain? Talking here of kids on street corners being rowdy, harrassment, vandalism to parked cars, property etc? Do you ever walk the streets in fear? Is there more respect over there?

Apologies in advance if this topic's already been covered.
Hello dude, I'm new on here too.
Spain in my own opinion seems much safer than the uk.
I have seen much less crime, much less vandalism and the most violence I have seen is when tourists got too drunk. (usually the brits cos we're tough).
People say that timeshare people can be a bit of a pain and can get quite annoying. (I have never been bothered by them)and the looky men who do get on your wick when you're having a chat or a meal and they flow in one after the other but they're just selling watches and things. (Be aware though that people will steal off you given the opportunity, they are more likely to run off with your goods though rather than beat you up and usually only if you leave your mobile unattended or bag on the floor etc).
BE AWARE, DON'T BE SCARED..
The police have guns which is nice and if you ever feel threatened you can go and stand near them. Most of them speak a bit of English and are glad to help.
Other than that the usual rules apply, don't look for it or you'll get it.
Enjoy it and it might just be the best time of your life,
Also the weather is nice. (not at the minute as it is raining loads) but generally..
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardia Civil told me, they knew them.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:31 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardia Civil, Bil, my Danish neighbours and the rest of the world all told me to keep the house locked when having a siesta, and it makes sense.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I hate having a siesta with all the grills locked. It’s bad enough having all those grills in the first place, and I’ve got those old fashioned, clunky ones that stick out, but when they’re all locked I feel like a rat in a cage.

I only lock them at night, during the day I rely on the Dobe and it’s worked for seven, safe years now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.