Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another driving regs question

Another driving regs question

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

trythallj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another driving regs question

Now that I have bitten the bullet and am re-registering my car on Spanish plate, my insurance agent has told me:-

"other people living in the UK are not allowed to drive a car with a Spanish registration number. Either in Spain when they are on holidays, only a rented car."

This would mean most of my visitors from the UK cannot borrow my car. Anyone have any idea if this is correct?

Thanks, John
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:24 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving regs question

If that is what your insurer says, you must abide by his rules
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

I think she was referring to the law, not the insurer's T&C.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:42 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trythallj
I know that, I was responding to your post "my insurance agent has told me"
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I have bitten the bullet and am re-registering my car on Spanish plate, my insurance agent has told me:-

"other people living in the UK are not allowed to drive a car with a Spanish registration number. Either in Spain when they are on holidays, only a rented car."

This would mean most of my visitors from the UK cannot borrow my car. Anyone have any idea if this is correct?

Thanks, John
Hola

In the past, anyone over the age of 27 has been able to drive my car and be fully insured; I do not know what will happen after Brexit, but I am not aware of any changes from my insurer (Liberty Seguros)

Davexf
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

But the law states something quite different so I agree with @Missile - do what your agent (or better still the insurance company) state.

Perhaps check with the insurance company directly.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

S I think that you are all saying there is nothing illegal about a UK resident driving a Spanish registered car, as long as the insurance covers them? Am I interpreting correctly?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:35 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by snikpoh
But the law states something quite different so I agree with @Missile - do what your agent (or better still the insurance company) state.

Perhaps check with the insurance company directly.
Thanks snikpoh.

I would be concerned that in the event of an accident, I may be liable for 3rd party damages. Claims for injury can be eye watering. Many insurers permit drive cars not belonging to us. Mine does permit me to drive any car not belonging to me, but third party only.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 3:52 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you reregister a foreign car using the exemption by doing it soon after you arrive, you don’t pay the matriculation tax. However I think that places restrictions on who can drive it. I looked it up once but I can’t find it now.

I will keep trying.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.

Ive been driving my father in laws car on his insurance for the last 10 years, before we moved over.
Also until I retired earlier this year. I used to travel here for work and used the companies vehicles whilst here.

From memory all I had to do was supply my driving licence and the company informed the insurance company that I was using the car with their permission.
Did the same in Italy, France, Germany, the US and Canada, never was a problem and when someone backed into the car in Italy I didn't have to do anything.

Same as the Uk, if you are fully comp, you can allow anyone (with a licence) to drive your car with your permission. Although the cover drops to 3rd party (on some insurances)

Although if your insurance company say no, then make sure your friends have insurance that covers them. Any accident they then have will not impact your insurance.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:14 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Barriej
Same as the Uk, if you are fully comp, you can allow anyone (with a licence) to drive your car with your permission. Although the cover drops to 3rd party (on some insurances)
Not really same as UK.
Most (if not all?) Spanish private motor insurance policies include breakdown cover and include anyone over 25 to drive the insured vehicle.
Few UK companies offer this as standard. Check your policy and if in doubt please ask your insurer.
Business insurance policies usually includes any driver, although most have restrictions on age and exclude those with serious convictions e.g. DUI.

Last edited by missile; Dec 3rd 2020 at 7:19 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 9:02 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you reregister a foreign car using the exemption by doing it soon after you arrive, you don’t pay the matriculation tax. However I think that places restrictions on who can drive it. I looked it up once but I can’t find it now.

I will keep trying.
Hola

The exemption was due to allowing you to bring your "Goods and Chattels" into Spain without paying tax for a second time. Incorrectly called an "Import tax". it was in reality a "First Registration Tax" but there were no other restrictions

Davexf
Old Dec 4th 2020, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's legal but not if your insurance company says it's not.
Old Dec 1st 2021, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

My wife is a Uk resident with a UK driving licence and drives my Spanish car with no problem with the approval of the Insurance company. In fact anyone over 26 can drive it.
Old Dec 1st 2021, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

A revival of a year old thread but nevertheless it should be remembered that things an insurance agent thinks or says cannot always be taken to reflect what an actual policy says and that's what counts.

Bottom line, read your policy!

Goes for ALL insurance not just motor.