Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another Car Buying Question

Another Car Buying Question

Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all
Default Another Car Buying Question

I have had a look at other threads but can't find an answer to this question.

I have been offered a very cheap second hand car. I know the 'owner' and they have definitely had the car for almost 10 years. Anyway I was on the point of going ahead with the purchase when I discovered that the 'owner' did not own the car. They had been given it ten years ago when the real owner went back to the UK and never had the name changed.

The person selling the car told me that this had never prevented them getting insurance or getting the ITV done - and that it would be easy for me to carry on in the same way.

However I called one insurance company and they asked me if I was the owner and I said no - and they said they couldn't insure me in that case. If I lied and they asked for the contrato de compraventa I couldn't supply it. Is being the owner of the car a requirement of insurance or just a policy of different companies? (the actual policy wording does not mention ownership from what I can see)

Also, I assume the road tax equivalent has not been paid as the new owner cannot have registered as such.

So to conclude, should I buy the car and leave the owner as the one from 10 years ago and try to get insurance? Also, if the original owner cannot be traced what happens to a car with no possibility of a transferencia being completed?

CHeers
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:05 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Car Buying Question

Hola

Why buy yourself trouble? Is this "bargain" really such a good deal?

Davexf
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

Well it is a good deal in price terms - but the negatives probably outweigh that fact. However I am interested in answers to my questions about cars which have owners who no longer have any connection with them.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably an example of buying a Spanish car with outstanding taxes to pay.
If you are eventually proved to be the owner of the vehicle, say after an accident or other issue with Traffico, then I assume you would be liable for the last ten years of back tax?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I have had a look at other threads but can't find an answer to this question.

I have been offered a very cheap second hand car. I know the 'owner' and they have definitely had the car for almost 10 years. Anyway I was on the point of going ahead with the purchase when I discovered that the 'owner' did not own the car. They had been given it ten years ago when the real owner went back to the UK and never had the name changed.

The person selling the car told me that this had never prevented them getting insurance or getting the ITV done - and that it would be easy for me to carry on in the same way.

However I called one insurance company and they asked me if I was the owner and I said no - and they said they couldn't insure me in that case. If I lied and they asked for the contrato de compraventa I couldn't supply it. Is being the owner of the car a requirement of insurance or just a policy of different companies? (the actual policy wording does not mention ownership from what I can see)

Also, I assume the road tax equivalent has not been paid as the new owner cannot have registered as such.

So to conclude, should I buy the car and leave the owner as the one from 10 years ago and try to get insurance? Also, if the original owner cannot be traced what happens to a car with no possibility of a transferencia being completed?

CHeers
may I suggest you listen carefully to Nancy Sinatra
http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...Wb6my7VSKDOWsA

`
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Well Domino I take your entertainingly made point And I agreed in my last comment that the price was good but the negatives outweigh that. However I am interested in what happens with cars in such circumstances. Nobody in town owns them - the owner may even be dead - so can they ever become legally owned again?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very interesting question that I would also like to know the answer to.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in the motor trade I was regularly offers cars and 4x4s for free or very cheap by Spanish customers , they all had donkeys years of tax owing .
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Well Domino I take your entertainingly made point And I agreed in my last comment that the price was good but the negatives outweigh that. However I am interested in what happens with cars in such circumstances. Nobody in town owns them - the owner may even be dead - so can they ever become legally owned again?
Grua - crusher
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

If that is the case then clearly all sense has left Traffico.

What absolute beurocratic nonsense that you can't simply demonstrate that you were not the owner of the vehicle when all the back taxes were due.

Complete and utter Stupidity on the part of any authority that comes up with these rulings.

Reminds me of a scene in one of Douglas Adam's books where passengers waiting to depart on a flight were put into suspended animation until the delivery of lemon-soaked paper napkins arrived. The computer didn't care that the planet was a war zone and that the passengers had been waiting for thousands of years. Rules are rules.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by billgates
If that is the case then clearly all sense has left Traffico.

What absolute beurocratic nonsense that you can't simply demonstrate that you were not the owner of the vehicle when all the back taxes were due.

Complete and utter Stupidity on the part of any authority that comes up with these rulings.

Reminds me of a scene in one of Douglas Adam's books where passengers waiting to depart on a flight were put into suspended animation until the delivery of lemon-soaked paper napkins arrived. The computer didn't care that the planet was a war zone and that the passengers had been waiting for thousands of years. Rules are rules.
Their theory is you will pay all due taxes when you sell or the buyer will cancel, Ive owned cars for a couple of years ,come to sell them and then the town hall finds the previous owner had not paid up to date and they then expected me to pay their debts to allow me to transfer the car! I had to recover the money from the previous owner !!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest that you go to a gestor that does a lot of car transfers and ask for an opinion. A friend of a friend of mine was in exactly the same position but I'm not sure what he decided to do in the end. The outstanding tax + any interest payable + gestor fee might still make it a good buy if the car is a real bargain. Then you'll have the car all legal and no worries.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:06 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

They had been given it ten years ago when the real owner went back to the UK and never had the name changed.
What is the car and how old is it?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

I may go and see a gestor for advice - cant lose anything doing that.

I know now that the current 'owner' (not the one on the documentation) has never paid any tax on the car so that's some years of debt on the car and it would definitely not be worth paying that to get the car legalised! So unless the debts can be written off it can stay where it is, which is a shame for a car that has 12 months ITV and someone willing to pay any future tax on it.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:38 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I may go and see a gestor for advice - cant lose anything doing that.

I know now that the current 'owner' (not the one on the documentation) has never paid any tax on the car so that's some years of debt on the car and it would definitely not be worth paying that to get the car legalised! So unless the debts can be written off it can stay where it is, which is a shame for a car that has 12 months ITV and someone willing to pay any future tax on it.
I understand how you feel, but Spain is different to the UK - where you cannot pay the road tax unless DVLA can see you have a valid MOT and Insurance.
Sometimes it makes you wonder how they have so much debt, but then .......

But as i said earlier, you will have to put it behind you and seek solace with Nancy (Sinatra that is - not Reagan)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.