Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is this animal cruelty?

Is this animal cruelty?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this animal cruelty?

Since moving to our present house there has been a continuous stream of sad, unhappy dogs occupying the garden of a vacant house at the back of us.

The latest victim is a puppy,now growing but he is so lonely on his own.

We give him treats and have started using a water spray and hosepipe because someone may turn up every 3 days or so to feed him.

We have a tiny gap of access thru the netting so he can lick us and have at least some access to another living being.

This house is like a palace and obviously a summer home.

I love Spain but have never been keen on their animal love.

This dog is not a guard dog-hes an old sap just wanting to be loved but I dont see what we can do.

Does Spain have animal cruelty regs.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:38 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this animal cruelty?

Yes they do & if you are concerned Policia Local are the people to see, but bear in mind that it is likely to piss off the owners (just saying)
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Yes they do & if you are concerned Policia Local are the people to see, but bear in mind that it is likely to piss off the owners (just saying)
This what Im a bit afraid of.

Just like it the owner is the chairperson of our urb. commitee or something.

We are new and dont want to ruffle feathers as we are the outsiders.

????????
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
This what Im a bit afraid of.

Just like it the owner is the chairperson of our urb. commitee or something.

We are new and dont want to ruffle feathers as we are the outsiders.

????????
Unfortunately the situation you describe is all to common. I have seen and still do see far too much of it for my own liking.
Sadly there is probably little you can do, and dogs welfare comes very low on the list of priorities, maybe more so at the present time.
Most of the properties in my area are Valencian weekend or holiday homes and quite a few dogs are left alone and unattended for a week or so at a time.
Like yourself I do what little I can without becoming involved,as I doubt if that would improve the dogs situation in any event.
To be fair,there are also some caring and conciencious dog owners,some of whom even assist with rescue centres,but they are probably in the minority.
I also get the distinct impression that animal welfare is very close to the bottom of the priority list with police and local authorities also,so probably little hope of help or assistance there.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:56 pm
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about

I'm afraid Spain is cool on animal welfare.... However they will put their heart and soul into worshipping a statue of the madonna.... Its all about priorities (or lack of education)
Not all Europe is the same

Last edited by Barbara Red lips; Apr 7th 2010 at 8:24 pm. Reason: Aah 2 n in madonna
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbara Red lips
I'm afraid Spain is cool on animal welfare.... However they will put their heart and soul into worshipping a statue of the madonna.... Its all about priorities (or lack of education)
Interesting isn't it? The Spanish are probably horrified on hearing the all too frequent child cruelty cases coming out of our country. I think their family values are very high but they will keep dogs in appalling conditions also have you seen the way they will trap and cage wild birds!!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara Red lips
Yes, but thats probably more about fiesta than religion.
I don't think a big percentage of them are deeply religious,but it was the religious connection that gave them the chance to carry on with their numerous fiestas during the Franco years.
.....and what would Spain be without them?,..maybe just another European country with a bit more sunshine,...sometimes.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
The people with the responsibility to apply the law regarding animal welfare are not the Policia Local but the Guardia Civil, in particular their Seprona division.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

A friend recently had a visit from the council (re. building licences etc.) and was told he needed a licence to build a wooden pergola but that his dog kennel and aviary (both build of brick and tile) did not need one.

So perhaps Spain looks after it's animals better than it's humans
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:58 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be so careful of what you say to people. The last thing you want is to create an enemy, and one that is also a neighbour is possibly the worst you could create.

As for the cruelty, well it is a bit bad, but an awful lot of it seems to me to be the cruelty caused by a lack of empathy. IMO a high % of the population were seriously abused under the Franco regime, and it pays to remember that all to often the abused becomes an abuser.

To me it comes as no surprise that so many lack empathy towards animals.

Empathy is something you learn.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

As for the cruelty, well it is a bit bad, but an awful lot of it seems to me to be the cruelty caused by a lack of empathy. IMO a high % of the population were seriously abused under the Franco regime, and it pays to remember that all to often the abused becomes an abuser.

To me it comes as no surprise that so many lack empathy towards animals.

Empathy is something you learn.
What a load of balls, its nothing to do with Franco

We have a neighbour which a truely massive house who keeps 3 pit bulls there all alone for 48 weeks of the year - and he's Dutch. What is his excuse for lack of empathy? Is he tortued by memories of the Nazi invasion!?

In the areas where most British people live in Spain there are lots of campesinos which are used to thinking of animals as a tool for their land, not as their "little baby". These guys wont think twice about keeping their dogs tied up all day while they are seeing to their fields or something. You'll find the same attitude throughout the rural parts of the world.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:46 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by cricketman

We have a neighbour which a truely massive house who keeps 3 pit bulls there all alone for 48 weeks of the year - and he's Dutch. What is his excuse for lack of empathy? Is he tortued by memories of the Nazi invasion!?

In the areas where most British people live in Spain there are lots of campesinos which are used to thinking of animals as a tool for their land, not as their "little baby". These guys wont think twice about keeping their dogs tied up all day while they are seeing to their fields or something. You'll find the same attitude throughout the rural parts of the world.
Whilst I don't exactly agree with Bill, I would say that there is a certain Franco effect,in that during the hardest years most ppl.were much too interested in their own survival and well being to give much thought to the welfare of dogs,many of which were probably just street dogs left to survive as best they could from scraps or the occasional act of kindness.
It should be remembered that up till 60 year or so back in the UK,things were a little different also, with lots of street dogs,few if any pet shops and things like taking a sick dog to the vet often only applied to the privileged few.
I think there are a number of aspects of Spanish life that some visitors tend to look down on, simply because Spain only began to move into todays modern World in the late 70s, and has had less time to adjust to what most Westerners have long considered to be the norm.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:25 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to look around you to find idiots and arseholes everywhere.

I was talking about the Spanish as a group, while bearing in mind that there are exceptions, and there are Spanish who have a natural kindness and empathy towards animals.

The Dutch I have always found to be a grownup and mature people, but there are a % of idiots and thugs there.

Never heard of the 'exception that proves the rule'?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The people with the responsibility to apply the law regarding animal welfare are not the Policia Local but the Guardia Civil, in particular their Seprona division.
Correct.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Now THAT is a load of balls , Ive never seen a dog pulling a plough

So what type of tool are you referring to? apart from being pets dogs are only good for guarding and hunting , the campasinos I know dont have anything to nick and the mutts they have are no good for hunting.

I ve been told that the pope and his crew see animals as soulless things with no feelings or anything else remotely associated with humans so you dont have to treat them well ,I`m sure a catholic will be along to correct me if Im wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.