Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

andalucian dialect

andalucian dialect

Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

RICH3105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default andalucian dialect

someone has just posted to me saying that the dialect in sevilla is tyhe equivalent of a geordie?i was made to beleive,that the accent and spanish in andalucia,is one of the easiest to pick up and understand,i am not sure what sourse igot that from,altho,i am sure somebody said about it being in the north too being one of the purest spanish speaking places.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: andalucian dialect

Originally Posted by RICH3105
someone has just posted to me saying that the dialect in sevilla is tyhe equivalent of a geordie?i was made to beleive,that the accent and spanish in andalucia,is one of the easiest to pick up and understand,i am not sure what sourse igot that from,altho,i am sure somebody said about it being in the north too being one of the purest spanish speaking places.
I would say it`s the hardest, lots of slang and half the word left out in a lot of cases.
It would be better if you kept all your posts on language in one thread, it is easier for people to follow then.

Last edited by jdr; Nov 6th 2008 at 7:18 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
I would say it`s the hardest, lots of slang and half the word left out in a lot of cases.
It would be better if you kept all your posts on language in one thread, it is easier for people to follow then.
where wd usay is the best place to pik it up then?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH3105
where wd usay is the best place to pik it up then?
Use the course, but also go into Spanish bars and sit and listen, then join in the conversations with the locals.
After a few beers you seem to relax and it all seems to start to fall into place. ;-)
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I once had two different teams of builders working on the construction of my house. One from Almería building the swimming pool and one from the small inland Málaga village where I live building the house.

It was amusing, and encouraging, to find that they had great difficulty in understanding each other.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

The rest of spain mocks the incomprehensibility of the andalucian accent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJgr_mwcR1g

Last edited by rachelk; Nov 6th 2008 at 9:36 pm. Reason: I can't figure out how to embed the video???
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Estepa (sorry E-tepa) in Sevilla where my home is 'S' is not pronounced and the end of words are 'eaten'. Words are often mumbled and indistinct. I read, write and speak Spanish but not the kind that is spoken here.

I wouldn't say that this is the 'purest' form of Spanish but I wouldn't change it for the world. The difference is what makes us all interesting. If you have learnt standard Castilian Spanish then don't expect to hear it in Andalucia. What you will hear is a rich variation on a theme. This leads to misunderstandings, puzzlement, hugs and laughter as we each work our way through various forms of Spanglish.

No, its not the easiest to pick up and understand but you can have a lot of fun getting there. My experience has been that the Spanish people are a lot kinder and far more tolerant than we are with people who are struggling with the language. The important thing is to try - they will help you with the rest.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: andalucian dialect

Originally Posted by Jeanie27
In Estepa (sorry E-tepa) in Sevilla where my home is 'S' is not pronounced and the end of words are 'eaten'. Words are often mumbled and indistinct. I read, write and speak Spanish but not the kind that is spoken here.

I wouldn't say that this is the 'purest' form of Spanish but I wouldn't change it for the world. The difference is what makes us all interesting. If you have learnt standard Castilian Spanish then don't expect to hear it in Andalucia. What you will hear is a rich variation on a theme. This leads to misunderstandings, puzzlement, hugs and laughter as we each work our way through various forms of Spanglish.

No, its not the easiest to pick up and understand but you can have a lot of fun getting there. My experience has been that the Spanish people are a lot kinder and far more tolerant than we are with people who are struggling with the language. The important thing is to try - they will help you with the rest.
thanks for all ur comments,im slightly concerned now and am starting to think aobut setting up shop somewhere else
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW - blonde moment here or am I misreading the opening post? On a point of geograhy, Andalucia is not in the North of Spain.

Apologies if I've read it wrong.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jeanie27
BTW - blonde moment here or am I misreading the opening post? On a point of geograhy, Andalucia is not in the North of Spain.

Apologies if I've read it wrong.
its my interpretation of it,i meant that the purest spanish and easiest to understand is in the north,so i am to believe
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:09 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I live in Chiclana de le Frontera in the province of Cadiz and they have a dialect all of their own, trouble is OH and I are beginning to pick up the bad habits but don't worry to much about it as eveyone seems to know what we are talking about
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I think the OP had gone on to speak about the place where the purest form of Castillian is spoken which I understand to be Salamanca.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I think the OP had gone on to speak about the place where the purest form of Castillian is spoken which I understand to be Salamanca.
thats the place,salamanca,i heard thats lovely,so is seville a good place to live and study then anyone?or is it going to be tough for me?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

I am from Murcia, but I made the military service in Córdoba, and the Andalusian accent is not the same one in Córdoba that in Cadiz or Almeria. For example, and inside of a andalusian county, Huelva: the south area has the typical Andalusian accent, but this accent doesn't have it the north area, where they speak almost or equally that in Castile or Madrid, etc
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
I am from Murcia, but I made the military service in Córdoba, and the Andalusian accent is not the same one in Córdoba that in Cadiz or Almeria. For example, and inside of a andalusian county, Huelva: the south area has the typical Andalusian accent, but this accent doesn't have it the north area, where they speak almost or equally that in Castile or Madrid, etc
sorry sono,i dont quite folllow u mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.