Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Amazon.es - replacement coals/pebbles for living flame fire

Amazon.es - replacement coals/pebbles for living flame fire

Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amazon.es - replacement coals/pebbles for living flame fire

I have a "living flame" gas fire in the lounge and the artificial coals are looking a little ragged after years of burning.
Before the cold weather sets in I want to replace them with pebble lookalikes and can find them quite easily on Amazon UK, but P&P is quite high to Spain and despite trying many translation options into Spanish for pebbles/stones/living flame/fire etc; etc I cannot find anything at all on Amazon.es. Similarly on eBay UK there are many available, but none post outside the UK, but I suspect the P&P again would be quite high even if they did. Cannot find any on eBay.es either, again possibly because of the translated words I am using.
It may be of course that they are simply not available over here either on Amazon or eBay Spain, but on the other hand I may be using the wrong search terms.
Anyone any suggestions please?
Thanks.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon.es - replacement coals/pebbles for living flame fire

can someone bring them ove for you would it be allowed in hand baggeage
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there will be a local supplier - where are you at? I bought coals from Ambifeugo
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
I am sure there will be a local supplier - where are you at? I bought coals from Ambifeugo
Thanks for the responses. I'm in Moraira so perhaps I'll give Aki in Ondarra a go.
As for somebody bringing them out, missed the chance now as they've been over. My fault as I've only just turned my mind to it.
If I can't find any here, I'll get them posted to me I think.
Thanks again to all.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Using ceramic non standard coals on any gas fire changes the combustion and can lead to spillage (carbon monoxide spilling into the room) , highly dangerous , only use manufacturers ceramic coals or risk death , its that simple.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of

Hi there, We are coming over to Pinoso in a couple of weeks with car and trailer. We'd be more than happy to find space for your pebbles if you want to get them sent to us here in the UK and then meet up with us to collect.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsMac59
Hi there, We are coming over to Pinoso in a couple of weeks with car and trailer. We'd be more than happy to find space for your pebbles if you want to get them sent to us here in the UK and then meet up with us to collect.
Thanks so much, how very generous. By a bit of luck though a neighbour is going back to the UK next week and has offered to bring them back to me.
Thanks again for your generous offer, much appreciated.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, look out for headlines "Ex pat dies from CO poisoning despite warning"

Last edited by Rotor; Sep 16th 2014 at 4:44 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rotor
Oh dear, look out for headlines "Ex pat dies from CO poisoning despite warning"
I don't quite follow the negative comments about replacing the coals/pebbles. They are widely available certainly in the UK and many such fires come ready with them. Don't understand how, if they are bought from responsible suppliers they present some sort of potential death risk.
In fact I replaced mine with imitation coals some years back but now just fancy a change to pebble style ones which are supplied as standard with many such gas fires. Seemingly though I'm dicing with death!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes you are , hence CE approval is law on all decorative coal effect gas fires in the UK ,as I said before using different non standard shaped "coals" and "pebbles" will change the combustion on the fire , in turn this can cause spillage and definitely cause the ODS pilot to fail ( this means the fire will carry on running if the oxygen level in the room gets below a safe level)
In years gone by Ive spent tens of thousands of pounds with this company CE testing gas appliances.
Kiwa United Kingdom

But hey, there`s a chance you may get away with it.

Out of interest who fitted a UK market gas fire in Spain?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rotor
Yes you are , hence CE approval is law on all decorative coal effect gas fires in the UK ,as I said before using different non standard shaped "coals" and "pebbles" will change the combustion on the fire , in turn this can cause spillage and definitely cause the ODS pilot to fail ( this means the fire will carry on running if the oxygen level in the room gets below a safe level)
In years gone by Ive spent tens of thousands of pounds with this company CE testing gas appliances.
Kiwa United Kingdom

But hey, there`s a chance you may get away with it.

Out of interest who fitted a UK market gas fire in Spain?
Thanks for the advice, appreciated. But, if what you say is correct how can I ever replace ones that are now "worn" for want of a better word? Surely I should be able to source "proper" ones from somewhere?
As for your question, I brought a new one over with me some 12 years back. It had a conversion kit with it to use the fire with bottled gas. I had both kit and fire installed by a gas engineer.
Don't tell me I've been dicing with death since then!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:43 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The fire I bought from Ambifeugo was made in the UK.

I would suggest anyone with a gas appliance should invest in a CO monitor like
this one this one
>
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for the advice, appreciated. But, if what you say is correct how can I ever replace ones that are now "worn" for want of a better word? Surely I should be able to source "proper" ones from somewhere?
As for your question, I brought a new one over with me some 12 years back. It had a conversion kit with it to use the fire with bottled gas. I had both kit and fire installed by a gas engineer.
Don't tell me I've been dicing with death since then!
Yes you can , the details of the manufacturer and exact model of the fire will be behind the ash pan on a data plate.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice and help.