British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Am havin' a rant ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/am-havin-rant-751473/)

bxpuser24710519 Mar 12th 2012 11:47 pm

Am havin' a rant !

:) why do companies bother with e mail addresses, on site contact forms then just ignore them ?

What is wrong with people who have a business but do not appear to want any :confused:

I have contacted recently 8 to 10 companies about 2 completely different things and 3/4 have not even replied.

One replied re shipping to Spain that I would be better to ask a friend to take delivery then ask them to forward ..... ashes scatter tubes are NOT the kind of thing most people would want to deal with especially if not for their relatives ashes :eek:

Head wall bang bang :thumbdown:

Oh and another thing anyone had to deal with airlines re carrying ashes ? still waiting on details 3 weeks after asking. Refusal to put details in e mail so I can print and carry with me arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

Rosemary Mar 13th 2012 12:14 am

Re: Am havin' a rant !

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9950371)
:) why do companies bother with e mail addresses, on site contact forms then just ignore them ?

What is wrong with people who have a business but do not appear to want any :confused:

I have contacted recently 8 to 10 companies about 2 completely different things and 3/4 have not even replied.

One replied re shipping to Spain that I would be better to ask a friend to take delivery then ask them to forward ..... ashes scatter tubes are NOT the kind of thing most people would want to deal with especially if not for their relatives ashes :eek:

Oh and another thing anyone had to deal with airlines re carrying ashes ? still waiting on details 3 weeks after asking. Refusal to put details in e mail so I can print and carry with me arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

How awful for you, bad enough having to think and deal with this without not gaining answers when you ask a question.

I think that this has been discussed before and some people said about concealing the ashes in your case and not saying anything about it. I totally understand that you will want things to be above board and legal so I suspect that this is not an option for you. I cannot remember whether there was a reply on this but it may be worth you searching this forum.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Rosemary

bxpuser24710519 Mar 13th 2012 12:25 am

Thanks Rosemary, I do remember reading that thread. I cannot see the need to conceal them. There is no problem if you have the correct paperwork and container for the airlines that allow carriage. I have both BUT want to make sure there is nothing missing from my list nor any unthought of issues that might be involved.
I could not deal with any misunderstandings at the airports involved.

Ryanair ( who I am not travelling with, no direct options) have at least some useful info on their website, I am flying Jet2.com direct hoping to eliminate complications.

PS I am now waiting on another phone call from them.

reggiedh Mar 13th 2012 12:26 am

I agree. It is still amazing how many companies are doing well despite the fact that they do not respond to emails sent their way. In the end you say " I want to give you my monet; can you please respond?" And still they don't!!

bxpuser24710519 Mar 13th 2012 12:29 am

Glad it is not just me. The business the lose via e mail can't bother them.

I am going to phone one of them as I may be able to get a good friend to collect some items. They will, I know, deny any e mails as so many of them do.

lynnxa Mar 13th 2012 12:56 am

I carried my husband's ashes home to Spain 3 weeks ago - because he died in the UK the funeral directors did an 'out of England' certificate, which wasn't anything more than a letter stating what was in the container, dates etc.

I had to carry them in my hand luggage & make sure I showed the letter to the security people before the bag went through the scanner.

that was it - simple

it didn't even occur to me that it might be complicated - we were on a plane less than 24 hours after picking his ashes up from the funeral director

bxpuser24710519 Mar 13th 2012 1:34 am

Hi Lynnza, I was sad to read of you recent loss and feel for you and the family. It has been some time since my husband died, I am hoping that the papers I have been told I need are all I will need.

lynnxa Mar 13th 2012 2:27 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9950554)
Hi Lynnza, I was sad to read of you recent loss and feel for you and the family. It has been some time since my husband died, I am hoping that the papers I have been told I need are all I will need.

thanks xx - it's early days yet, but one day at a time as they say....

you should be OK as long as you have papers from the funeral directors explaining exactly what you are carrying

what happened on the plane would have made my husband laugh...

the 'cabin manager' (where do they get those titles from?) offered to put my bag in the overhead locker - my 16 year old piped up ''I don't think you really want to do that - my dad's in there!!''

the guy clearly had no clue what she meant, so she explained, very specifically........

poor guy nearly dropped the bag & gave me permission to keep it under the seat :lol:

bxpuser24710519 Mar 13th 2012 5:32 am

Thank goodness for Nicole from Jet2.com wonderful lady :) I think I have all I need.

Now if the others would reply to my e mails life could be a bit better.

Domino Mar 16th 2012 8:17 pm

It makes me shudder when I end up foning (good old skype) and asking them if they could answer me email - the usual excuse is "Oh I never got that" exactly the same as in "the good old days" we used to say we never received a letter.

some companies have emails and online responses go to a "group" email box and several people are supposed to "dip in" but my experience is they only take from the top - when they have time.

Over 8 months ago I foned a company about their storing my house contents when I moved out from the UK, I then confirmed the conversation as agreed by email.
Now I have been in Spain for 4 months, all sorted, and drive past the huge facility of said company at least once a week.

will they eventually respond ? I doubt it very much.:frown:

Jenny22 Mar 17th 2012 6:42 am

I used to work for a train company answering their complaints (a very busy job :)), We had a specific order of work. Phone calls first, then letters and then emails if we had the time. I would say that many companies have the same order of priority.

bxpuser24710519 Mar 17th 2012 8:59 pm

That may well explain why the majority are also way out of date and useless to user.

I recently found an item I wanted on a website, telephoned to make sure they had it as I would have ordered more than one, to be told' oohhhh it is years since we had that !'

I explained it was listed as 'new item' on the website she was lost for words.

Domino Mar 17th 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9958981)
That may well explain why the majority are also way out of date and useless to user.

I recently found an item I wanted on a website, telephoned to make sure they had it as I would have ordered more than one, to be told' oohhhh it is years since we had that !'

I explained it was listed as 'new item' on the website she was lost for words.

we have a lot of little pokey dusty shops in Spain where the owners sit outside and pass the time of day with people but no one buys anything, don't they realise that is exactly the image they are showing to the world.?

you would think that having gone to the initial expense of setting up a website they would keep it up to date.
I found a site that had 2008 references on it - and they were supposedly in Barcelona selling Jamon to a worldwide market. No wonder prices were so low.

angiescarr Apr 2nd 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9950958)
Thank goodness for Nicole from Jet2.com wonderful lady :) I think I have all I need.

Now if the others would reply to my e mails life could be a bit better.

Hi.
Admittedly some cmpanies are just ignorant but I have to say that I have now to trawl througgh the spam box for my genuine emails even orders because even my form on my website gets thoroughly 'spammed' and I'm just a very little one woman business. Bigger businesses presumably are suffering the same problem.

Bigbhudda69 Apr 3rd 2012 6:08 am

I love the ones that say " we would love to hear from you and value your time and effort to contact us", only when you have done so they say, " due to the large number of mails we receive we may not be able to reply " ,which probably means we ain't got enough staff and your business is not really that important to us, or am I just getting cynical now I am out of puberty! ( can I say puberty on here?).

bxpuser24710519 Apr 3rd 2012 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69 (Post 9987374)
I love the ones that say " we would love to hear from you and value your time and effort to contact us", only when you have done so they say, " due to the large number of mails we receive we may not be able to reply " ,which probably means we ain't got enough staff and your business is not really that important to us, or am I just getting cynical now I am out of puberty! ( can I say puberty on here?).

Oh aye I don't believe a word of it.

My latest possible rant would be searching the net for an online florist that showed a particular style of bouquets with a certain flower. Found one with just what I wanted to send to my two daughter in laws. BIG problem when I came to pay only possible to send to one recipent :eek: so I abandoned the purchase. Later that night I had an e mail from the company asking if something had gone wrong with my purchase and giving me a voucher valid till end of April....so I checked it was not a 'do not reply' address and explained the situation and hit send. 2 days later it came back. I did it all again and YIP 2 days later came back again. Somehow do not think I will try using the voucher :thumbdown:

dunmovin Apr 4th 2012 1:21 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9988758)
Oh aye I don't believe a word of it.

My latest possible rant would be searching the net for an online florist that showed a particular style of bouquets with a certain flower. Found one with just what I wanted to send to my two daughter in laws. BIG problem when I came to pay only possible to send to one recipent :eek: so I abandoned the purchase. Later that night I had an e mail from the company asking if something had gone wrong with my purchase and giving me a voucher valid till end of April....so I checked it was not a 'do not reply' address and explained the situation and hit send. 2 days later it came back. I did it all again and YIP 2 days later came back again. Somehow do not think I will try using the voucher :thumbdown:

dearest Valerie, yes there are a lot of numpties out there and there are times when a normally reasonable person is having a bad day (this is when he/she doesn't hold the mute button and shouts.... "we got a right one here...who wants to be the supervisor today?")

people have bad days....... take what happened to me yesterday.....

I take the dog into town for a walk every day and we normally follow the same route (as we have done for the last three years)... Today was little different, it seemed like the weather was going to drop a thunderstorm, so while it was still dry, I got the dog in the car and drove into town. Low and behold, halfway round our route, a rain shower started. (Perfect excuse to hide in the pub for a few beers) When it went off we continued our walk, and Flossie done her usual, which was wander into the middle of the road plonked her arse down and had a piss.... after about 5 minutes, an elderly Spanish lady, carrying a large piece of soggy tissue paper intercepted me and babbled away in rapid Spanish. This was getting weird.

I looked at what was in the wet tissue she was holding.....low and behold it was a massive dog shit......( she's seen Flossie have a piss and blamed flossie for the 2 lbs of dog crap on her doorstep. What she was holding was something that could fertilize most of southern England)

Now, take in the sight as others would see it..... man with dog, confused and a tiny little dog..... a ranting old woman screaming she's going to get the police and all the time, the wet tissue she holding is turn browner and disintegrating by the second. Me? I just try to look innocent .

At this point, a local guy I know and have shared a few beers with came over and tried to translate her rantings.

I asked him to explain it wasn't my dog that shit on her doorstep and if Flossie had dropped a shit THAT big.... she would be inside out... you can't fit that much shit into such a small dog.

We laughed and walked away from her.... but she followed into the supermarket car park and was about to follow us into the shop ........ until it was pointed out that going into a supermarket with a huge lump of wet, dripping dog shit in your hand isn't likely to endear you to the staff or police.

your old pal

willie

Domino Apr 4th 2012 1:35 am

reminds me of when I walked my little dog past a pile of dogs poo, elderly woman walking the otherway gave me a dirty look and then looked at poo then back at me with a look of anger on her face. This pile was about 5 days old, rock solid and crawling with ants.
If had done one that big I would have been proud, letalone him - even the local cats do larger poos than him.
Just then my dog decided he would go about his business and I pulled the plastic bag out of my pocket and cleared up after him. Woman had disappeared !!

but its ok I am the local guiri and you can blame me for everything, including the broken glass bottles outside the park after the teenagers have had an evening party.

dunmovin Apr 4th 2012 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9988932)
reminds me of when I walked my little dog past a pile of dogs poo, elderly woman walking the otherway gave me a dirty look and then looked at poo then back at me with a look of anger on her face. This pile was about 5 days old, rock solid and crawling with ants.
If had done one that big I would have been proud, letalone him - even the local cats do larger poos than him.
Just then my dog decided he would go about his business and I pulled the plastic bag out of my pocket and cleared up after him. Woman had disappeared !!

but its ok I am the local guiri and you can blame me for everything, including the broken glass bottles outside the park after the teenagers have had an evening party.

isn't it nice to fulfill a role in life that no one else wants:rofl::rofl:

Domino Apr 4th 2012 1:48 am

Originally Posted by dunmovin (Post 9988938)
isn't it nice to fulfill a role in life that no one else wants:rofl::rofl:

I wouldnt mind if they showed some class and style with the bottles, but Heineken and/or Cruzcampo, looks like they have nicked a crate from the back of a local bar - just no crate.

dunmovin Apr 4th 2012 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9988949)
I wouldnt mind if they showed some class and style with the bottles, but Heineken and/or Cruzcampo, looks like they have nicked a crate from the back of a local bar - just no crate.

I think I've got your drift..... try printing the folllowing and leaving where the bottles are (Baldilocks sent me this one)

IMPORTANT HEALTH INFORMATION

Do you have feelings of inadequacy?

Do you suffer from shyness?

Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor or
pharmacist about Cabernet Sauvignon.

Cabernet Sauvignon is the safe, natural way to feel better and more
confident about yourself and your actions. It can help ease you out of
your shyness and let you tell the world that you're ready and willing
to do just about anything.

You will notice the benefits of Cabernet Sauvignon almost immediately and,
with a regimen of regular doses, you can overcome any obstacles that
prevent you from living the life you want to live.

Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past and you will discover
many talents you never knew you had.

Stop hiding and start living.

Cabernet Sauvignon may not be right for everyone. Women who are
pregnant or nursing should not use it. However, women who wouldn't
mind nursing or becoming pregnant are encouraged to try it.

Side effects may include: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, loss
of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity,
delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry
mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke and play all-night rounds of Strip
Poker, Truth Or Dare, and Naked Twister.

WARNINGS:

* The consumption of Cabernet Sauvignon may make you think you are
whispering when you are not.

* The consumption of Cabernet Sauvignon may cause you to tell your
friends over and over again that you love them.

* The consumption of Cabernet Sauvignon may cause you to think you can sing.

* The consumption of Cabernet Sauvignon may create the illusion that
you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Now just imagine what you could achieve with a good Shiraz.

Domino Apr 4th 2012 2:15 am

since moving to Spain I now have to walk to the nearest bottle bank, which I don't mind, but I do mind my neighbours seeing how much and what I have been drinking
:drinkwine:

dunmovin Apr 4th 2012 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9989007)
since moving to Spain I now have to walk to the nearest bottle bank, which I don't mind, but I do mind my neighbours seeing how much and what I have been drinking
:drinkwine:

Try doing what I do....I take all our emptys to a bottle bank near to a bar in the campo....... no one sees you and noone can tell what you dumped or the bar did:thumbsup:

jimenato Apr 4th 2012 3:44 am

You should see how much I have to dump each day. Bottles I mean:rolleyes:

dunmovin Apr 4th 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9989149)
You should see how much I have to dump each day. Bottles I mean:rolleyes:

think I got that...... you didn't mean what fell out the dog's bum