Aluminosis

Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Aluminosis

You probably don't need to worry about this issue, but if you are planning to buy an apartment in an old building in Spain you should be aware of it. Between 1950 and 1980 quite a few buildings in Spain used concrete with over 35% alumina. Combined with CO2, humidity and the right temperature this concrete becomes porous and less resistant and could even lead to the collapse of the building. Sometimes this happens when building activities nearby affect the building. And I hate to say that this happens too often. This problem is known in Spanish as "aluminosis". Just today this happened in Hospitalet (Barcelona) with a building that have been repaired because of "aluminosis" 8 years ago, causing one death. There was some construction going on nearby.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espan...epinac_13/Tes/

You could find more information about this issue here:

http://groups.msn.com/ALUMINOSIS (in Spanish, sorry!)
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aluminosis

Hmmmmm, I was in Gandia Playa the other day and saw a building had collapsed for no apparant reason .... I wonder .....
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hmmmmm, I was in Gandia Playa the other day and saw a building had collapsed for no apparant reason .... I wonder .....
Uhm!!! Maybe it was a gas explosion. This is the standard way to deal with these problems. We are so creative around here.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gudes
Uhm!!! Maybe it was a gas explosion. This is the standard way to deal with these problems. We are so creative around here.

Looked really wierd as there were still pictures up on the remaining walls, and a bookcase on another wall
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Looked really wierd as there were still pictures up on the remaining walls, and a bookcase on another wall
was that by Burger King ? I saw that one and thought it was strange that they had only demolished half the building - so it collapsed
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:08 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by spain
was that by Burger King ? I saw that one and thought it was strange that they had only demolished half the building - so it collapsed
Thats the one, yes.
I doubt it was demolished as there were still personal effects on the walls, headboards, pictures and iirc a book case or two
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the one, yes.
I doubt it was demolished as there were still personal effects on the walls, headboards, pictures and iirc a book case or two
yes I did think it was strange - cant find anything on the internet about it - have a friend who lives that way so will ask her when I see her next