Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Altea seafront car park "gorillas"

Altea seafront car park "gorillas"

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Altea seafront car park "gorillas"

Has anyone else who frequents Altea noticed that the disreputable (and I don't use that word lightly!) looking individuals who hang around this free car park, "directing" cars into spaces they would have found anyway and trying to con money out of visitors, have reappeared after an absence of a year or more. If you don't pay, I don't think anything untoward would happen, but it doesn't help the town's image. They had disappeared for a year or more - I assumed because the police or Ayuntament had shoo'ed them away.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Altea seafront car park "gorillas"

Yep, saw them last week when i was parking,
told them to bugger off. !!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Good for you! - what's spanish for bugger off??
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:27 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by petew
Good for you! - what's spanish for bugger off??
No need to know that mate. Just use the right tone in your voice and they will get the message.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

merlino is an unknown quantity at this point

try 'vete a la mierda' , that should get their attention.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlino
try 'vete a la mierda' , that should get their attention.
They may give you a bit of attention too. lol
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else who frequents Altea noticed that the disreputable (and I don't use that word lightly!) looking individuals who hang around this free car park, "directing" cars into spaces they would have found anyway and trying to con money out of visitors, have reappeared after an absence of a year or more. If you don't pay, I don't think anything untoward would happen, but it doesn't help the town's image. They had disappeared for a year or more - I assumed because the police or Ayuntament had shoo'ed them away.
Give em a €, then everyone is happy.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:19 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Give em a €, then everyone is happy.
Why give then anything when it's supposed to be a free car park It will only encourage them. Haven't been to Altea for a while so not seen them.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Agree with JDR.
Having lived for some time in both Central and Eastern Europe, poverty is something that encourages people to look for any means to feed themselves and their families. That the car park is free is a moot point....people are just trying to offer a service for a little money. That the peeps look less than without a suit and tie is also irrelevant.
Also how can giving 1 Euro to someone in a car park "encourage" them? if you would rather not see them, then be sure to drive them "underground" from where they can break into property and rob. The real evil here is poverty, not the beggar.
When the paro runs out (one can only claim for 2 years) and with most of those claiming having only worked on short term contract (ie paro already run out), then expect to see a lot more of this type of creative begging.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Slightly off topic here but we have these "gorillas" here in Ayamonte as well. Fair enough, I used to pay them a € even when the car park was empty and I didn't need assistance parking. However, to the dismay of the locals, car parking around the town centre is now pay and display. But the gorillas still insist on pestering you even when you have paid for the parking time. I am sorry but I am not paying double.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Agree with JDR.
Having lived for some time in both Central and Eastern Europe, poverty is something that encourages people to look for any means to feed themselves and their families. That the car park is free is a moot point....people are just trying to offer a service for a little money. That the peeps look less than without a suit and tie is also irrelevant.
Also how can giving 1 Euro to someone in a car park "encourage" them? if you would rather not see them, then be sure to drive them "underground" from where they can break into property and rob. The real evil here is poverty, not the beggar.
When the paro runs out (one can only claim for 2 years) and with most of those claiming having only worked on short term contract (ie paro already run out), then expect to see a lot more of this type of creative begging.
While I have some sympathy with your viewpoint, I disagree with 2 of your comments. Firstly, they are not offering any service - secondly , their appearance is relevant - to some visitors it makes them appear intimidating. Really, it's a mild form of demanding money with menaces, and their appearance adds to that impression.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

While I have some sympathy with your viewpoint, I disagree with 2 of your comments. Firstly, they are not offering any service - secondly , their appearance is relevant - to some visitors it makes them appear intimidating. Really, it's a mild form of demanding money with menaces, and their appearance adds to that impression.
Come on, you only have to pay or say no, how hard is that.
Round here once we had kids asking if they could take the shopping cart back and keep the 50 cents, could you honestly say bugger off to them ?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This happens in Gandia too. Must admit that the man who helped us to a parking space one day also helped us to find somewhere on the map and was very courteous.

Rosemary
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

I can only comment on the ones around here. And I personally wouldn't want to meet one after dark in the car park. They usually stink of booze or look drugged up and you just don't know how desperate they are for money.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Sharon B
I can only comment on the ones around here. And I personally wouldn't want to meet one after dark in the car park. They usually stink of booze or look drugged up and you just don't know how desperate they are for money.
We must have a better class of poor people here then. ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.