Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alicante to Javea

Alicante to Javea

Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

juliajavea is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Alicante to Javea

My parents and some other family members are coming to stay in August and for a change want to use public transport to get up to us rather than hire a car. We have no experience with trains/buses over here, so a few questions for anyone who has used them if you don't mind:
      • On the Alsa website it shows the route going through Javea to Denia but doesn't list Javea as a stopping point - I take it they do stop in Javea though?
      • All the travellers will be over 60 - do they qualify for any OAP discount?

Additionally does anyone have a hotel recommendation for staying in Alicante, somewhere between airport & train/bus station, for the Saturday night.

Thanks in advance
      Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:05 am
      ¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
      Default Re: Alicante to Javea

Originally Posted by juliajavea
      My parents and some other family members are coming to stay in August and for a change want to use public transport to get up to us rather than hire a car. We have no experience with trains/buses over here, so a few questions for anyone who has used them if you don't mind:
          • On the Alsa website it shows the route going through Javea to Denia but doesn't list Javea as a stopping point - I take it they do stop in Javea though?
          • All the travellers will be over 60 - do they qualify for any OAP discount?

Additionally does anyone have a hotel recommendation for staying in Alicante, somewhere between airport & train/bus station, for the Saturday night.

Thanks in advance
          I can't answer most of those questions -but yes, the buses do stop in Jávea
          Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:21 pm
          Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Hi,

I can't answer about the buses but here is a bit of info about the trains.

Yes, they do run on Sundays. They would get the tram from Luceros to Benidorm then change and get to Gata. They could get a senior's discount, but they would need to have a senior's card that, I think, they get from the Station. They have stopped just doing senior's return fares without the card.

Finance-wise it would bring the cost down for them. See here for the fares ...

http://www.fgvalicante.com/tram_en/?page_id=109

I think they could turn up with their id and get the card on the day but the web doesn't really explain all that too well. I could ask at the station for you if no-one comes along who really knows the answer. However, they also need to factor in the cost of getting the card, which is around 2-4 euros. If they are thinking about using the tram while they are here on holiday then they can get a monthly pass, which would save them quite a bit.

If there are 10+ of them coming together they can get a group discount by booking ahead.

Hotels in Alicante between the airport and station ... There is a holiday inn express and an Ibis which seem to have reasonable rates. They are a little bit out of town so it would take a bit of effort to go into Alicante for a meal. However, if they are arriving late and just taking a taxi to the hotel and then a taxi in the morning to the tram/bus then this would probably fit the bill.

What time are they aiming to arrive?
          Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:38 pm
          Just Joined

Thanks for the reply:

They are flying in on a Saturday night, think they land 11.50pm so they wouldn't need a meal, just somewhere to crash for the night and have breakfast.

They aren't planning on using the tram/train other than for the journey from & back to the airport as they have use of a car once here in Javea.

Thanks
          Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:45 pm
          Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

OK. Let me know if you need more info about gettting the senior's card.

The hotels I mentioned are 2/3 of the way into Alicante and might fit the bill for them.
          Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:07 pm
          Just Joined

Thanks, the info on the OAP card would be useful but I don't want anyone going out of their way to find out.

Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:39 pm
          jdr
          RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Just go into the ticket office and ask for a Tarjeta Oro, they used to cost 5 €`s and last a year.
          Although the train fares are quite cheap you should still save a bit if used enough, especially long journies.
          Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:08 pm
          BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

if it were me I'd book a A2B transfer ALC - Benidorm & stay there (no I don't work for a2b).

I now use them each time as they are 1e cheaper than Alsa but pick you up anytime of day or night for the same price (7e).

I was a bit cautios but they turned up at 4am once, honestly, to the minute.

Hope it helps
          Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:27 pm
          Just Joined

Thanks, but at the time they land they want to just get straight to the hotel as quickly as possible and leave the long travelling for the next day. There is no benefit of them getting to Benidorm that night and then to Javea the next!