Alicante City?

Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

EdinWigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alicante City?

2016 ish!

My basic plan, subject to sound advice from he good folk here changing it. I also would very much like your critique, advice and guidance.

I am single (52) and thinking of an apartment in Alicante City. Rent out property in the UK to provide an income of 1,400 euros a month. I have some additional cash in the bank so could purchase an apartment (after a period of rent-n-see)

My real questions would be around where and how to fill my days. While I would like to integrate with the Spanish, I would also like a few hobbies and interests, some art classes (always wanted to learn to paint and draw) are there any activity clubs such as bowling in the city?

Anyone have experience of the city? what about teh sports and leisure complex? (just North of Sant Blai)

Impact of an Exit vote in the EU Referendum?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Ed
Old Nov 7th 2015, 2:00 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alicante City?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 7th 2015, 3:42 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

As ever, learning the lingo is key if you wish to integrate fully into cosmopolitan Alicante city. Do you speak Spanish at any level, or have experience of living in Spain previously ? Alicante Uni run Spanish courses, as well as other providers.

Plenty going on culturally and sporting wise, the city is very compact, vibrant and densely populated. There's a feelgood factor or buzz and it's a great place to visit, you do feel alive in the place, but as with London (for me) can't imagine living there full time. Horses for courses, that's why Rent-n-see is a very wise move.

Steer clear of the outlying barrios Virgen del Remedio and 400 Viviendas, cheap rental and property out there for a very good reason.

Spanish friends rate Benalua and the Mercado areas, little too dense for me, personally quite like Pla de Bon Repos near the MARQ museum. 10 mins walk to Postiguet beach, buses and tram to centre and the superior San Juan beaches.

Good luck.

Last edited by iano; Nov 7th 2015 at 3:45 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Iano,

Thank you for the reply. I was looking at:
Benalua
Ali Park
Sant Blai
Mercat

Some nice looking apartments in Sant Blai, is the area OK ?

I have lived in several countries but not Spain. I am beginning to (Rosetta Stone) learn the language, to get some basics while I am still here, then plan a night school class, again here and finally a course in Alicante. I am not naturally strong with languages but feel it is essential if I am to enjoy my new home.

I did a great deal of walking about on my last visit Aug 2015 and found people friendly everywhere but found Virgen del Remedio and 400 Viviendas a little edgy.

Pla de Bon Repos, very nice, it was just the walk into the Old Town but nice places in the neighbourhood, so still an strong option too and Trams are good here.

I am planning another week later this month. So busy taking notes of your welcome advice.

Old Nov 7th 2015, 6:28 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EdinWigan
Some nice looking apartments in Sant Blai, is the area OK ?
Again, San Blas was recommended to me by the Spanish friend I mentioned in the earlier post, specifically the area just to the north of renfe station, the southern part of San Blas. She's an Alicantina, born and bred, have known her and her Irish (!) husband for years.

Although San Blas isn't for me, for the reasons stated earlier, you can be assured that the area does have a good local reputation.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, although, as I said earlier I want to rent first, I have been monitoring Idealist and seen properties in each of these areas although one nice looking, 4 bed to bath, fist floor 100m2 apartment was only 53,000 euro and so made me wonder why it was on the market for half the price of similar. Sort of a block behind Bar Beethoven, if you know it. I will be back for another week of walking about in a couple of weeks
Old Nov 7th 2015, 6:50 pm
EU hoo

Probably no lift, or similar. Plenty available at that price, but usually old and tired and in need of reform, or poorly located. If you're 'handy' then taking on a project would fill your day !

If not already, I should also monitor fotocasa.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Great advice thanks. Does anyone know, is there:

A bowling club
Tapas dinning club/ evening social
Art Classes (Total beginner)
First Aid courses, for English speakers
Anyone live or lived in the areas mentioned?
What is a typical retired week for someone living (ex-pat) in the city
What else do you get up to?
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Am I guessing we don't have any active members currently resident in teh city itself? or ?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think many Brits live in Alicante city - and if they do they are teaching English and speak fluent Spanish.

Most live either in El Campello (north) or El Altet (south) because they are retired and don't want to live in a busy noisy city.

There are some social groups, based on language exchange - search on google. Plenty of gyms etc. Bowling? Green or 10 pin. Green no chance!
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

I see, thanks for teh informative reply. I was thinking flat green. I have seen them in Villa Martin, but I guess, more ex-pats there.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if you want Expat activities you have got to live with them. That might seem a bit black and white but it is realistic. Expat urbs don't (in the main) have (for instance) churros, bull rings or padel courts and Spanish barrios don't have green bowls, fish and chips, British food supermarkets.

I suggest you do a lot of research and decide what are your priorities in terms of 'can't live without' then make sure it is local to you.

I remember now there is a group called 'Meet Up' I did take a look at it and there are some activities in Alicante with some Expats involved.

Another thought if you determined to live in Alicante the Spanish lead a very different lifestyle and you may find it noisy, late night, and 'different' living in a block of flats alongside them. They can be great neighbours (helpful/friendly) but of course you have to speak their language.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:51 pm
EU hoo

Ed,

Montemar Bowls Club can be found at Gran Alacant, quite near the airport.

About Us | Monte Mar Bowls & Social Club

If you're going to be reliant on public transport, there's regular bus service to/fro Alicante Bus station, ticket @ 1.70 €.

Last edited by iano; Nov 9th 2015 at 5:57 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

My wife and I are looking to move to a place where we can combine city life with outdoor activities including the beach and visited Alicante in Oct for 10 days. Really enjoyed the place and as someone has already mentioned it is compact and you can easily walk around the centre in only a few minutes. We want to learn the language and try and integrate into a mainly Spanish area with decent transport links and this city seems to tick nearly all the boxes .. I didn't really see much of a downside though I believe there is quite a lot of unemployment and noticed a fair number of beggars. Apartments seem very affordable but clearly there are areas to avoid ... we want somewhere that is reasonably quiet with easy access to the tram and will be visiting again next year to have a much closer look. In the meantime we are going to Malaga/Granada pretty much for the same purpose and see how we get on there. Would still consider a small villa in a place like El Campello but I think we will probably opt for somewhere closer to the city. May decide to rent for 6 months to a year before committing completely to one area but if the right place comes up will probably buy, budget could go up to £140k but will probably aim cheaper to give us something to fall back on. If we do move to Alicante, Hércules CF will have to buck their ideas up

Last edited by Hornets_Nest; Nov 11th 2015 at 5:20 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Out of interest why do you think you want to be close to the city? And did you know the tram service from El Campello will get you downtown in 25 mins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.